iPad Midnight Bowling

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ITrocks, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Yet another app released by gameloft. Graphics don't seem any better than Flick Bowling though. I have Flick bowling at the moment, and i'm not really pleased with the spin system. however, having gotten it for 0.59p, i don't mind spending on another bowling app, providing it's good. Anyone tried it yet?

2. Hamburger3

Hamburger3 Member

Nov 17, 2008
    #2 Hamburger3, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Ok well I have this game and its better than Flick Bowling for sure. The spin works better in this one. Plus it has a story mode that extends the game more than Flick. Its also has a party mode for multplayer

You can either have a touch control system or you can tilt the ipod / iphone to move the player, bowl the ball and add spin without touching the screen.

Its better for sure but its up to you if thats worth $5. I would say its not $5 better than Flick but its the best one out so far.

I am going to take Flick off my ipod as I only need 1 bowling game and this is the best so far.

3. How are the pin physics? Do they bang into each other properly? (I believe Flick Bowling had an issue here when in its earlier versions)

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The pin physics is really important... I'd like to know about that too. Please?! :)

5. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Oh man. The career mode sold me. Bought. Downloading now :D

6. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I just hope it's better than Midnight "kind of short" Pool career mode.

Anyway, let us know about your impressions as well as what you think about the pins physics. :)

7. Hamburger3

Hamburger3 Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I dont know how short the Story mode is but it seems the same as the Midnight pool story mode.

I would say the pin physics are realistic. It does need an update as you get a bit of slowdown now and then.

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks Hamburger3!

9. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    its good
    like i always say
    all of the games gameloft released are promising...mid pool is short but its fun as hell

10. I wanna see a video of this one if it does have pin physics or not. But flick bowling in next update should have pin physics too. So might just wait to see how it holds up. This is a good thing though as it might prevent flick bowling from returning to it's $5 price point with this competition.

11. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
  12. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    On Sale for $2.99!

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    what kind of bowling is it when you get to redirect the ball once it's off your hand. i know it's a game but at least stick to basics

ridicu-farking-lous.

no thanks. even at this price.

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Totally my thought when I saw the gameplay video.
    Doesn't make sense to be able to alter your shot after release. That sealed the deal for me as a game not worth getting, even with the price drop.
    They almost had me... :)

15. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    in real life, it's like:

OH MY GOD I LET THE BALL OFF MY HAND TOO EARLY :eek:

let me go run to the lanes and push it to the center a little bit so i get a strike :D

GENIUS!

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I could just picture it....hilarious!

17. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

Clearly there must be inherent difficulty in the game, that notwithstanding, for one would otherwise get a strike every time.

18. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    This is simply a design decision; realism isn’t always the goal. I know it’s not entirely the same, but look at platformers for another example of bending reality, and tell me which games are the most fun. Most games here behave like Super Mario Bros., where you can change your direction mid-jump. In other games where this is not possible, like Ghouls 'n Ghosts, the fact that you can’t do this seems at first jarring.

See here for more on jump physics.

19. I just took a shot in the dark and at $3 it's way worth it.

300 bowl - nice spin motion you make with your finger but totally unrealistic, crap graphics. Thank goodness this one is free at the moment.

Real Bowling - been a few times past few months always do the unlimited bowling special but can't do more than 2 games as my arm is too tired. My consistency is out the window.

Wii bowling - it's ok but doesn't make me wanna get a wii that's for sure.

Flick Bowling - I really did like this and still kinda do but can't play it anymore (still keep it on see what the pyshics update does for it) after having played Midnight Bowling.

Midnight Bowling - ok I spent the $3 and thought I'd get burned but I didn't. The camera zoom follows the ball down the lane. Replays I can do frame by frame to see the collision physics of the pins. Sometimes there is delayed movement of pins and some will fall and others will just move a tad thinking of falling over but not quite just like in real bowling. Story mode has you go through better characters. You get $50 per strike, $10 per spare. Points you get money too. Money unlocks new venues, outfits for characters, new characters, new bowling balls. Kinda easy to unlock stuff though.

Ok so perhaps here's the critism it gets for being unrealistic about once you let go then you can change the spin on-the-fly. First I turned off the Sensor and switched it to Manual. This instead of using accelerometer to change spin on the ball after the release use finger to swipe left or right. So when you flick straight it'll show for a split second the path it'll take towards the pins. If it's a little off you can give it once flick towards the direction you wish it to go. It gives it just a little rotation on the ball. You have to do this early like right after you release it.

Anyway I like the game quite a bit and it has some depth not a ton but it does make me want to play it more and more. I've only played it for about 2 1/2 hours so far but that's a lot longer than I ever played Flick Bowling. Flick Bowling is more of play 5 mins and put it away.