Universal Middle Manager of Justice - (by Double Fine Productions, Inc.) - Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Numba One

Numba One Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Oops nm, just figured it out.

Went into my 'Purchased' section on the app store and lo & behold it was there! Sweet!

2. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I think I ran into a bug with the IAP mechanism.
    Purchased the 100 superium. After the IAP finished the superium counter increased to 114 from 14. The 100 Superium was added correctly.

With the superium I bought 2 heroes at the cost of 30 superium each.
    A total of 90 superium was deducted even though the cost should have been 60.
    The heroes were:hothead (first buy) and cpt premium (second buy).

3. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    perhaps something for the fine tuning.
    When you have a hero at max level it still seems as if it recieves xp after a fight. The next fight that xp has been reset. I can only logically interpret this as the hero being at an xp cap/max.
    None the less its a bit confusing to see the xp add up and vanish again.
    Perhaps write in the xp bar that the xp has been maxed out and remove the xp addition effect (the white bar getting wider).

overall it is a charming game.

4. NazgulAuk

NazgulAuk New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    I must be lucky, but if it wasn't for the fact I saw the app was pulled I would of had no idea this was not a full release. I have a team of 4 heroes that is demolishing the villains and my base is mostly maxed out.

The only problem I've found is that if you choose to recruit a hero there is no way to back out with out shutting down the app.

Reading others comments, I guess my miserly rpg nature seemed to be in my favor.

I hate buying consumables. I spent my coins on gear, prioritizing armor.

When ever it got hard I purchased another hero.

After the second boss I was getting impatient and bought the money copier. Awesome item, I wish I had purchased it first thing as it doubles coins and superium. I didn't mind the 1.99 as I was having fun, and I saw it as paying for the game.

Each charachter seems to have a special ability that lets them attack everyone on screen. I used traing and gear to get my intelligence high enough to train those abilities.

My last hero I saved up 30 superium to get a top hero to research all the top gear so I didn't waste coins on lesser items.

Doing this has gotten me to the fourth boss fight. My heroes generally kill every nonboss as soon as they use their abilities, usually without any damage.

I guess I'll quit playing until the full release, but it seems like it will be another great game from Double Fine. Please don't make us wait too long!

5. mblamar

mblamar Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Naz, Curious how you got Giant Robot boss fight to start? Did you ever have trouble with the game hanging at the mission launch screen?

6. NazgulAuk

NazgulAuk New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    No, I never had any problems with the missions loading. I think some of the menus are a little wonky. (Sometimes I have to touch a button a couple times, and the shopping menu seems to be very sensitive about switching to inventory).

Other than that no issues that I've noticed, though I'm curious if this release is missing any features, or is it just bug stumping from this point forward?

Another sugestion is that when you select a hero's inventory you should be able to see other heroes' inventory too, instead of having to exit and click the shopping cart to see all the heroes.

7. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks! That's a good point. The bar should be filled out, and it should say READY FOR PROMOTION!

8. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm glad you're enjoying it! The third ability for all heros are a bit imbalanced right now, but it is super fun to watch a fireball wipe out 8 henchmen at once. We are definitely going to tune the cost of the snacks, and give you additional avenues of earning extra coins in game.

9. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle Active Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Glad it was a goof. Lots of bugs right now, but I really want this game to be good. I love the superhero concept and the writing/art is nice so far, plus I've really enjoyed the few Double Fine games I've played in the past--Stacking, Psychonauts, etc.

I've gotten my 4th hero already, and IMO that's when the game starts to get interesting: juggling abilities, deciding who to send on missions, working out where to spend money, etc. there are AoE abilities that work great against groups, buffing and enemy-debuffing abilities that are more useful against bosses, ranged attacks, force fields, etc. Since each character can only bring one ability into battle, you have to be smart wth your selections. You also have to train abilities to make them stronger and manage stats in order to level them up, which is cool. And I want to unlock the other other heroes, just to see what they can do.

I've played thus far without spending on IAP (I will eventually, when the game is officially released) but my biggest suggestion at the moment is to smooth out the difficulty spikes in the early game so it gets to this point faster (its really boring when you get stuck). Issues aside, it's a lot of fun when it gets to this level of complexity. I'm wondering if it gets more complex later on. Also wondering just how many scenarios the game has, because so far it hasn't repeated any. Still looking forward to the official release!

10. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Yes, this is definitely planned.

11. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks! And yeah, when you have multiple heroes I feel that the game shines. And this is also where the tuning was premature today. The game should ramp up nicely in terms of difficulty. We will work on that.

12. rmlinden

rmlinden Active Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #72 rmlinden, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    EDIT: The hero was added to my hero-list. The cost was still 57 superium though.

understanding it is in development..
    but kinda not so funny when using the IAP and it eats all my superium.
    lost 57 units, no hero. Add to that the 30 units lost earlier.
    87 units wasted.

I guess the IAP mechanism has been modified due to test / non-go-live state of the game.

When the game is up and running then ill just post this again.

Another thing I found: I gets tedious to reassign all your heroes to their tasks after you interrupt their training/research/whatever with a fight. Would be usefull to have the heroes continue their previous tasks.

And another one: player selects a hero. From the hero the player navigates to the inventory. From that inventory the player navigates to the shop. It would be less tedious if the bought item was equipped on the hero immediately.

13. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Got nothing to add that hasn't already been said about the gameplay. One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I noticed was the game ran incredibly hot. I'm used to my phone heating up a bit while playing a game, but not to this extreme. This also caused a rather immense drain on the battery, got ~1 hour of play in before needing to hit the charger, normally games last at least 3 to 4 hours or so.

14. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh no! That's really bad. Sorry you ran into that! It's definitely not funny and will be fixed.

Interesting. Yeah, I ran into that too where I forgot what it was that they were doing before. Resuming tasks is a really good idea.

I've thought of auto-equipping. Does seem more convenient. Hmm..

15. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I've heard reports of this as well. Which device are you running on?

16. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Are the graphics going to be crisper?

17. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    iPhone 4s, latest iOS version (not beta, just a regular 5.1.something)

18. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    I have the Iphone 4, last IOS myself and noticed the same thing that phone was hot???

19. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Which device are you on?

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #80 SkyMuffin, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Game Impressions

Here are my impressions and some minor issues. Havent read through the whole thread so forgive me is there's redundancy:

• This is a really compelling take on freemium games that doesn't feel as forced as others of its kind. I do agree with the post at the top of this page that the early game difficulty is a bit harsh, however. I really wanted to be able to save up my Superium to get a 30-cost hero after my first one, but the way the difficulty scaled it was impossible to without IAP.
    • The gameplay is fun, except when you hit a massive block and can only generate money in piddly amounts at a time by doing desk work with your manager.
    • Graphics are great, no complaint there. Sound is good too. My only suggestion is to add in some elements of customization to your offices and heroes later on, to give the player more ways of feeling like they are making progress.
    • The way job rewards decay over time is a bit harsh. Especially since I can wait 30 seconds for a hero to heal up and by then I've lost half of the reward. Also, please add a timer to show when new jobs will appear!
    • In battles, it feels like the enemy always gets a big critical hit when my heroes are low, doing 2-3x as much as they normally deal and killing them. This is kind of frustrating.
    • There's a distinct 3-4 second pause at the end of jobs, making 30 second jobs more like 34, and so on. There's also a pause at the end of battles.
    • As said above, this game also makes my device a bit warm (ipad 2). Not sure if that is an issue or not, battery life seems okay.
    • When you defeat a villain, the jobs in that area are erased when you move on to the next area. Lost a 99 coin job this way :(
    • I've had occasional issues with the game not saving the progress that my heroes have made on various tasks after I go to another app. Multitasking seems to work, but my heroes have their progress reset. I had one hero have to redo her training three times this way.

there's a ton of potential here. really good effort so far.

edit: little bug: if you expand your offices while heroes are resting, they appear under the beds instead of on top. :p