Universal Middle Manager of Justice - (by Double Fine Productions, Inc.) - Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 5, 2012.

1. fybaton

fybaton Member

May 16, 2012
    Seemed like the game wasn't very smooth either. Stuttery, I guess.

2. RedRioja

RedRioja New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Did they not do ANY testing at all before putting it on the AppStore?
    Such serious bugs this early in the game certainly look that way.

I still think I could like the game, so hopefully they get their act together and come back with a *working* version soon ...

3. Tyr Gunn

Tyr Gunn New Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Not available in Canada. Fail!

*edit: I guess it's been pulled for sucking... Too bad.

4. SeppTB

SeppTB Member

Sep 5, 2012
    http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7618/

"Hey everyone,
    So, Middle Manager of Justice went live accidentally last night! For those of you who jumped on it right away, you got an early preview for the game! Please note that the game isn’t indicative of what it should be yet! All the bugs will be ironed out, and there is much tuning to be done. For those of you that have the game now, any feedback regarding the game is welcome and appreciated! If you’ve already have purchased something in game, please note that it will still work when the game is updated. You can keep playing if you wish, but you should really wait for the full release in the coming weeks."

The game was not supposed to be released today, that was an early build that went out. Which explains the bugs and why it has since been pulled from the app store.

5. DFJustin

DFJustin New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Hi Guys! I'm Justin over at Double Fine. Someone emailed into the support account and mentioned you guys wanted an explanation on the state of the game so here I am.

Basically, this wasn't actually supposed to go Live today, which should be quite apparent. This was completely our goof. The game is still in the bug fix/tuning stage, so everyone that's gotten it, just think of it as a sneak preview for the people with ninja-like response skills to things being posted on the app store. You bastards. (We actually love you guys, we're just feeling a bit embarrassed.)

For everyone that has it, We're not going to be clearing purchases and everything so if you've tossed money at the screen you won't lose it, it will all be retained when we actually are ready to release the game.

Sorry for getting all of you excited accidentally, although it is nice to see people eager to play it. Hopefully this hasn't soured you guys to it and you'll grab it when we actually intend to release it.

6. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it - how does one accidentally submit their game to apple for review though? :p

7. DFJustin

DFJustin New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Goof on our part. We missed the checkbox/dropdown to change the release date to a time that wasn't immediately after they reviewed it.

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Ah, okay, that explains the missing text strings all over the place, though I've not had any bugs, weirdly enough. But how does it work when a developer goofs like this - does the official release (whenever that might be) update the previous one?

9. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    So, do we see an accidental leak again when the next version is done so we can beta test that? :p

Oh well, guess I'll delete it for now, was fun to get a preview at least.

10. DFJustin

DFJustin New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Yup!

11. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    My goof, and the Tuning isn't final!!!!

Hey guys,
    So I didn't check some boxes, and the app released before it was ready. We still have a lot of bug fixing and tuning that we have to do. So we pulled it. It sounds like some of you didn't enjoy the game, I hope that the fixes and tuning changes that we will do in the coming weeks will help that. With regards to the waiting gameplay, I've made sure that you can fight, raise funds and make enough coins to be able to buy the equipment which boosts your stats as much as training does to give different avenues of progress. Now, it still needs a lot of work to be tuned that way, but that is definitely the intent. We plan on working on the game post release to add more depth and gameplay for the players, but if you have suggestions regarding how to make it better, I am definitely all ears. You can send me a private message on my Toucharcade account. The way that I've personally been playing and tuning the game is without any IAP, and that's the way that I will keep working on the game. It just...wasn't...ready...yet.

12. DFJustin

DFJustin New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    God I hope not, this is enough excitement already. For broad terms of excitement.

13. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Hey kee sorry if I tripled messages you iPod was acting up hope you like the ideas.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Question: will the iTunes reviews of the game be cleared when it officially releases, or will any scathing reviews still be there? :) I don't know if there were any, I'm just curious.

15. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Good to hear. I really did enjoy the game. It was funny and I liked the action. Looking forward to seeing the real product.

16. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Sad to see it got pulled, I'm enjoying the game a lot only issues I am getting is some crashes here and there but overall it's fantastic

17. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    Thoughts/Questions 45 Mins In...

I downloaded immediately this morning after seeing it available and got to play it for about 45 mins (before I got to the same progress stopping bug a lot of folks here have hit).

1 - From what I've gotten to play so far (just past the first boss), I've really enjoyed the writing for the most part. It's not roll-on-the-floor-out-loud funny, but it's charming and witty (especially compared to the competition).

2 - My progress halted shortly after the first boss fight, so I haven't been able to see as much of the game as I'd like to get a true feel for it. When the first Bus "heroic event" showed up, I hit the same bug as many other folks here - you click approved, the stamp comes down, the screen sticks, and you can't proceed (or even back out). Closing out the program gets you back to the office, but you never can progress past the Approved screen for the Bus event. At first, it wasn't too big a deal - I just ignored the Bus event and did the other "Gang Beat Up" event that showed up on the map. But eventually I got to the point where a second Bus event showed up, so now I have two Bus events that I can't partake in on my map, and no new events are showing up. So, no way for me to proceed.

3 - I generally don't like consumable IAP, but seeing that there was an option to buy an IAP that stayed around for the duration of the game (The Money Copier) that doubles the gold you accrue, I decided to throw Double Fine a bone and got that. Only disappointment is that I encountered the progress halting bug shortly after I bought it, so I'll be unable to get any use out of it until the proper game is released. :(

4 - Graphics generally look pretty good on an iPad 3, and I really like the art style. Can't wait until I can get further into the game to see more of it.

5 - Even though I was early on, I have some concerns about the penalties for choosing the wrong path of progression/powering up. I got to a fight that my single hero couldn't win, so I had to make a decision - buy another low level hero or save my hero points and spend a couple hundred gold to buff my single hero with items for the fight. I wanted to save up my hero points for a higher tier hero, so I decided to try buying some consumable buffs (health and power) with my in game gold. Found out quickly that buying another low level hero was the right choice in that scenario. But I only found out about it after spending the 150 gold on consumable items on a fight I still couldn't win, thus they were wasted. Maybe some recommendations in the early game would prevent wasting resources.

6 - Question - Any way to continue your progress on another device you own? Usually these free-to-play games store their progress server side, so I was disappointed when I tried to move from Ipad to Iphone to see if I continue my progress (get past the game halting bug) and was unable to do so.

Looking forward to playing more of the game (and forming a more educated opinion) in the future!

18. DF Kee

DF Kee Active Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks for playing the game and giving it a chance!
    1) Wooo!
    2) Yeah, the bus rescue bug. We will be fixing that. Also know that all of your progress will save when the real release happens.
    3) Thanks for your purchase! We will try to get it out to everyone soon!
    4) Thanks! Our artist Mark Hamer will definitely appreciate that sentiment :)
    5) That's a really good point. I think the game can have sub optimal paths that lead to gameplay that isn't the most fun. We should offer recommendations, but should also tune the game so that all paths are as rewarding and fun. We will definitely be working on this. Right now the game doesn't get fun when you're trying to claw out of losses, and we need to fix that.
    6) We actually don't have server side saving or icloud support yet. This will come in the future, but for now (and for the releasing version) you'll have to play it on one device.

Thanks again for your feedback!

19. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    Glad the Double Fine folks are here in the forums reading the feedback and taking it to heart - I think you'll have a nice product once you guys work out the kinks and get things balanced!

20. Numba One

Numba One Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Quick question

If I already downloaded this game on my iPad this morning, is there a way to get it on my iPhone?

I don't think my laptop was on so it didn't download the iPhone version. I know it's Universal, so if I backup my iPad to iTunes, will it then let me sync the game to my iPhone?