Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kamazar, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Microsoft Surface

I know this is relatively old news, but I thought I'd bring it up. Seems like Microsoft's goin' multi-touch. Comments? Anyone else think it's freakin' amazing?

2. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I think its cool, though kinda pointless for most people. I just love how they had people in that one video putting drinks and food on it; do they expect us to leave coaster and grease stains on this crazy expensive piece of tech? XD

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    ipotch x2000 :eek:

4. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    The surface of the surface (lol) is just a sheet of glass that being projected on by a camera, so all you have to do is just wipe the table. Finger movement sensed by a camera, kinda like the SmartBoard.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Corrected, Let's bet 5 bucks when this is going to come out for the public!

I say 2017!

6. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    2015!

7. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    2005!!!!!!

oh..............

2014!!

8. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    lol!

Winner gets 15 bucks right now JOIN IN OUR BET PEOPLE!!!

9. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    That DOES make a lot more sense :eek:

10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania

Who else here thinks this is really cool. Although simple, the jiggsaw puzzle looks fun.

11. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    seriously?????? simple is not the word I'd use to describe it.

12. coconutbowling

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry Pablo, I meant the simplicity of the jiggsaw puzzle, not the simplicity of the technology behind it.

13. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I forgive you

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Anyone heard of the app called "Micro Surface"?...
    I got it a few months back, I was looking everywhere and can't find it anymore, looks like microsuck, I mean microsoft must have said something to apple, and got it pulled. Shame, as I use it to show my pictures to people all the time. It's a pretty neat app, especially for free! Here's a link to an old review on it so you can get an idea how it looked.
    http://www.************.com/2008/10/30/free-micro-surface/

Link doesn't work, sorry. Just google micro surface iphone app and you'll see what I'm talking about.

15. coconutbowling

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I remembered seeing this before, but didn't realize this was a mini version of the tabletop one.

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I wonder what happens if I put a glass on top of mi ipotch.....OH SHIT!!!!

nah just kidding that was a pretty neat app! I still have it

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea, it's pretty neat actually... It's nothing really crazy, but I like using it to present my photos to people. I'm a little mad they pulled it, I have been waiting for ages on an update to it, to add mass photo import onto the surface. Currently you have to select one by one to add them, then you can play with them. But yea it does a good job, it runs surprisingly smooth!

[EDIT] - I forgot to mention it may be possible it's under a different name?... I'm going to see if I can find it...

18. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    #18 Kamazar, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    Imagine going to a restaurant and instead of looking at a menu, you have this virtual menu below you with pictures and videos of the food. I'd like to stick with waitresses, though. Restaurants need a human touch.

But you'd sit down, flick through the menu, decide what you want to eat, order, then surf the web, email, IM, play cards.

And with multi-touch, you can share your computer! No more fighting over the laptop! So, so, awesome.

Plus: There's this program where you put construction paper cut-outs on the surface, and they converted into ramps in a video game. I'll try to find the vid.

19. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    you'd also have wikipedia so if there is some type of debate/conversation you can find out more about it!

20. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    This would be perfect for restaurants. Games for kids (and adults too :)), a virtual menu, internet, AIM, etc. etc. Say you don't know what a dish is or what some weird fish name is. Google it up! I would love seeing this in restaurants! Paying the bill could even be easier and faster if you didn't have to get the book, put your card in it, wait for the waiter to get it, have them scan it, and then wait for them to bring it back. If you're going out to dinner with some old friends, they should make some way to plug your camera or something into the table and then your friends could sift through old photos or new photos of your family. Other people could plug in their camera at the same time and you could swap photos and everything. Surface has so many cool features and it could be so well suited for applications (not games or apps, but functions :p)