MicRogue - Strategy Puzzle Game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JasonHPickering, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well color me intrigued, after "Wayward" and "Quest of dungeons" delay this look like a fine replace

Jason do you think it would be out in november?

2. JasonHPickering

JasonHPickering Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Well sadly that's not up to me. The engine I am using is really broken on iOS. I am hoping they update it soon. That is the main thing holding me back. I have already talked with sound people and the big list is getting smaller and smaller. I at least want to launch the PC version in November. As the engine works fine on the PC the next big thing I need to add is a few achievements for gamecenter.

3. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    more updates!

All the heroes now have a special spell. Its a one time use and good for getting out of a sticky situation. I also added a few more monsters and added the new SFX

4. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    More work has gone into this. Lots of changes to make the game feel a lot better, and also working on a score system so I may be able to have a high-score table to go along with release. I have also been testing on both my iPhone and iPad.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
  6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The title screen thing Name logo looks great

And I like the special skill idea

7. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Bronxsta & TheFrost: that is actually an old prototype. The new version has much better art and more variety, but you can definitely see the main gameplay loop of the game. The new version is just a bit better in all regards including, more enemies, better art, bigger levels, and more variety. If you like that though you will love the iOS version when It launches

JCho133: thanks, the title screen was a long time in the making. Its much better now as it has bats, lightning and moving clouds. Looks much more omnious. The skills had to be removed though. They just did not gel with the gameplay as much as I wanted them to. A lot of the good skills are being roped into the main gameplay though in the form of Monsters, so they are not vanishing, just changing.

I am open to any other questions about the game though. Keep them coming.

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :/

I'm sure this'll still be great. I'm really digging the puzzle approach and there seems to be a nice variety in enemies

9. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    no it's fine. they just felt really unneeded. Players never used them. so it was better to focus on other areas.

10. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Much more work has gone into this. Its all about adding a bit more strategy to the game and giving the player more room to experiment without taking away the original idea of the game, that it is all about placement. I ahve also been looking at a lot of games thaat solve some of the problems I have been facing like 868-hack, Zaga 33, and Hoplite.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    That's good, I'm more than sure this will attract fans of those games, especially hoplite

12. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    More work on this. Dealing with all the extra stuff now. Lots of bugs and such. Trying to beat the game has become a pretty hard thing now, which I am really happy with. I didn't want crushing difficulty, but I did want something that was a bit hard.

13. Rogue Calypso

Rogue Calypso Active Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Web Design & Development
    Nashville, grew up in Iowa
    I know you asked this question awhile ago, and have maybe gotten some answers since, but I noticed no one had really answered it here... I thought I would add my two cents:
    Personally, I think the idea of a paid expansion that is later free is a very fair trade and a refreshingly honest approach. Everyone will eventually get the content, and those who want the extra content early shouldn't have a problem paying for it and supporting the dev. I think it is a win win for everyone. :)

Sorry I am late to the party, but this game is looking great and I can't wait for more progress reports!

14. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Yeah I always wondered how that would be received. Although I dont know how Apple handles that kind of stuff. They may have rules against that kind of practice.

15. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Going through now and doing all the extra stuff. (Credits, Help Menus, all that fun stuff)

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm all for that idea, that way you won't have any whiners haha.

Also, glad to hear you're getting close!

17. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Doing lots of work no one will notice. that has to be one of the most tedious parts of game development. People love when you add a new enemy, but you rarely get a lot of hoopla for under the hood stuff.

Anyways. Working on the screen calibration stuff to get the game to be universal for all apple devices. The map will always center on the screen, and I have the UI move all the elements around for the device you are using.

18. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Anyone know a good way to capture video from an ipad or phone? (If worse comes to worse I will just point my iphone at the screen) I would like to do a quick hands on to show people what the game is like.

19. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Wouldn't it be easier to screen cap running from your PC (either simulator or Unity)? I've just used Fraps in the past for short demos. I think there should be reasonable screen recording software for Mac, though it might cost a little.