Universal Microgue (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 28, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #41 zen_mode, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Just a warning for those thinking of picking this up:

- The game will not save state at all if it's booted from memory (which in this case, occurs instantly when exiting the app). That means you're back to the start every time. How a simple turn-based roguelite could be in development for two years and not even save state when exiting the app in 2015 is beyond me. It's really breathtaking.

- Edit: I can no longer replicate most of the crashes after rebooting my device. The only one that I can still replicate is opening and closing the app too quickly, which is not a common use case
    The game will crash doing almost anything. The implication of which is dramatically amplified by the above point. Sometimes adjusting the volume in the settings will crash it. Opening the app will crash it. Certain movements will crash it. Looking at your screen the wrong way will crash it.

This is all on the latest hardware (iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, non-jailbroken).

I know the dev is active in this thread and I just want to say that this is really not ok. I never speak up over these things. I usually just say "oh well I wasted a dollar", and move on. Because after all it's just a dollar.
    But it's still wrong. This game is currently topping the charts on TA, and being in the state that it is, it's really not ok to be charging money for this, no matter how small.
    . Edit: Dev is working on a fix for the main save state issue.

2. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I'm doubtful the small jump from 8.1 > 8.3 will make any difference, especially since this game has been in development for so long.

Also, if someone is on 8.3 with newish hardware, please check if it saves the current state when closing and re- entering. I'm really curious if it's just a bug or if the dev expects us to never be interrupted through a 10 level run by having to take a call.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Unfortunately I can confirm that the game does not save your progress when you exit the app (iPhone 6/8.3). It's also not holding the program open in memory, so switching apps sends you to the start screen. Haven't run into any crashes, though.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Loving it so far, definitely worth the wait haha

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Okay, so the game does not have a save state. It could come in the future.
    This game can be played in short spurts. I don't see it being a reason for
    rating the game a one though.???

6. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Great game.

7. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I talked to Jason and he's working on that save game issue.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Good to hear :).

9. JasonHPickering

JasonHPickering Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Okay guys. I have the problem on the exit bug taken care of. It should be rolled into the next update, which I am hoping to submit next week. (Minor updates and bug fixes)

I also plan on adding an extra option in the menu, to make the enemy movement a little quicker if you are use to the game and want turns to go faster.

Zen_Mode: Are the crash bugs you are getting consistent? like does it always happen when changing the options for example, or is it more like a one in five? are all graphics displaying correctly? by all accounts it should be fine, so this has me a bit puzzled. I am wondering if perhaps we can narrow it down we might be able to figure it out.

And questions for everyone playing. Anything feel off to you? any enemy to hard? how does the difficulty curve feel? any enemies you hate with a burn passion to rival the very stars?

10. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    difficulty is spot on, i haven't beaten it yet, but i've gotten back down to level 5 or so after collecting the treasure.

The only real issue i've had is that i've gotten to a floor where there is no exit, causing you to have to restart your game.

Quicker enemy movement would be a nice option when you want quicker play, i'd love a little bit of customization at some point too, (little changes to your character to maybe change colors of outfits, shields, etc... just something to add to the game)

Other than that...the same types of levels do get a little redundant, maybe change some of the tiles around for more random looking floors, or entire dungeons.

Other than that, it's a sweet little game.

11. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #51 zen_mode, Apr 30, 2015
    I rebooted my device and i'm not getting the crashes anymore, so i've gone back and updated my post and rating accordingly. I don't know what happened. Before I would press the arrows to bring the music volume down and it would crash instantly every time. The in game crashes are also gone as far as I can see. The only one I can still replicate is closing the app and re-opening too quickly, which I guess could be a problem when accidentally hitting the home button. Other than that it seems to be stable on my end.

12. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Zen_Mode: I am so glad to hear that. I really don't want anyone to have a bad experience with this game, so that makes me feel a lot better. and that closing and opening too fast may actually have something to do with it closing out the app on suspension. So that may be fixed in the next update. Overall how are you liking the game now?

current change list for the next update looks like:

First update
    * remove exit on suspend
    * no giant fire guys on last floor (Way too damn hard with that stupid dragon)
    - Add an option to increase the enemy movement speed.
    - more room layouts.

right now all the floors are actually prebuilt with walls and traps. and the monsters are placed randomly. So a random room is chosen and then randomly filled with monsters. I want to try and add a few more room layouts to make the game seem more varied.

Also I have been filling up sketch pages with some new enemies for the first expansion. I believe its going to be Lava themed. I am also going to be adding a Magma tileset. So random floors will look different. I am sorry to report that one of the first new enemies will be dragon whelps, so if you currently hate the big dragon, its not going to get any easier. :D

[​IMG]

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #53 coolpepper43, Apr 30, 2015
    I really enjoy playing this game and it was worth the wait. Any way you could improve the AI a bit only just so the enemies wont kill themselves in 2 moves or less? Any more improvement might make the game too difficult once you add the new enemies.
    I think you really need some kind of score system. I don't like speed runs but maybe add that? I would probably prefer a room based scoring or monsters killed scoring system. Does the game end once you get back out of room one or does it continue? Could you please consider adding something that shows how each enemy moves when you hold it?

14. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Coolpepper43: well that's a lot to take in. better try and go through them piece by piece.

AI: I might be able to change the AI. maybe give them a small chance to avoid danger when they move, but I also still want the player to be able to trick them into moving into traps, some enemies being the only way to kill them is with traps.

Score: I don't really know if this will happen. We tried for about two months to implement some kind of score system, but could never find one that A: was not just a slog and actually improved the game and B: wasn't easily cheatable. We though about perhaps doing something like counting the number of steps, but that never felt like the player had much agency in that situation. That said I do think maybe we could get an endless mode to work. so maybe like the player can delve as far as they can and then "Floor" could be the score for the player. Maybe you got to floor 5 this time, and next time you made it to 6. Maybe we could unlock that after the player wins?

Enemy Movement: I think I might have to redo the whole description system. I like the flavor text, but I am a bit limited and this is the biggest request I get. Its fine for stuff like the fire guy. 2 in each direction, but how do you go about showing say the cockatrice that looking at it, when horizontal with it kills the player, but if you are facing away you are safe.

15. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    I like the idea of an endless mode.

Also, maybe you could explain enemy behavior with a simple picture rather than using words. Not sure if this would definitely work, but it seems feasible.

16. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    To anyone getting the orientation bug I am trying to fix it for the next update.

17. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Game looks pretty interesting

18. Longicollis

Longicollis Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Commercial Diver
    Kuala Lumpur
    I myself like the game. I'm putting this game into my travel & must-install games together with 868-Hack, Quest Keeper, Zaga-33 (although this game randomly crashes sometimes), Card Crawl, Desert Golfing and Crossy Road on my iPhone. It fits perfectly to my small list of quickie games on the road & potty.

In futures updates my wishlist: to have different skins of the floors, different heroes with different/alternating move sets maybe?

Anyway, cheers for the game!

19. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just bought the game! :D

20. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Longicollis: I do want to add new tilesets. I think each expansion will come with a themed tileset. so the First one will probably be fire themed with like Lava running down the walls, and such.

as for the different heroes this was something I struggled with for a long time. I tried for a very long time to create different heroes but never came up with anything that made them feel truly different. I feel like the best idea is probably the different characters in crypt of the necrodancer. All the characters play very different and have their own unique challenge. If I can figure out something like this, I will add it for sure.