Universal Microgue (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    may i know whats the difference between this one and arcane tower in gameplay, because it looks pretty alike to me , thanks

2. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Jason. Relic Rush is a great game. Just reloaded. Congrats on your new game! :) $

3. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Fun game so far, seems a little easy, 3rd run and got to last floor(didn't beat it, just got to last floor)
    Quick question, the little sheild button on top right of screen, what does this do? I see it counts the enemies on screen, but is there a reason for this or? Thanks

4. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Congrats Jason! Was hoping you'd get back to finishing this one, love the art, it always looked like a great idea on TIG. Can't wait to try it tonight!

5. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Are new monsters and/or obstacles introduced in further levels?
    Are the colors basically the same throughout? Ie: white and grey floors..
    The video clips look more puzzle then RPG. Is this true or not?

There's no right or wrong answers here. I just want better clarification before purchasing. I'm a little more picky now that I, like many others here, have a huge library of 'haven't played them yet' IOS and pc games. :)

Thanks!

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ya, this is not really an RPG at all. More of a puzzle rogue like.

7. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I don't like roguelikes at all but this quite appeals....

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    So far this seems easier than I thought it was going to be. I've already made it to the 10th floor and got the treasure. I keep dieing by the dragon. I wish it explained how each enemy moves and attacks better than what it currently shows. The tiny brief descriptions usually don't tell you any important info.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think learning what each enemy can do could be part of the fun.

I was really hoping this was a roguelike. If it's more of a puzzle, then why call it roguelike? I mean the term roguelike's just been used pretty loosely these days.

I remember when one says roguelike, it would mean brutal dungeon crawling RPG, and they never mean pretty graphics at all as most of the first ones i've played are just ascii codes.

I wish people would stop calling top-down titles roguelikes off the bat, unless it's a roguelike.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It is a rogue-like. :/ It's a micro rogue-like. A...Microgue. >_>

Also, congrats on the 8/10 Silver Award Pocketgamer review. Slater's not the easiest guy to please. :p Well done!

11. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Procedurally generated radom levels is the new rogue like...
    But I agree.

I wish I had waited on this one. So far I have made almost all the way back down the tower and see no reason to even continue trying. I see no signs of a score or reason to play once you beat it.

I could be wrong because I have only made it to 4 / 10 on the return trip. But ya, same old stuff each time.

12. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Been looking forward to this one! The art (and icon) is gorgeous! I hope some of the imps regarding difficulty/replayability in this thread are exaggerated, but I'll give it a whirl either way!

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Lots of games go under the moniker 'Rogue-Lite'

OK, now you've got me craving some Micro(brew) Rogue...

[​IMG]

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    ^^ looks delicious ## cheers

15. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    dead guy ale, great beer.

16. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I hope this game gets some of that content that's currently littering the devs work area.

One of My favorite aspects of iOS gaming is once a game is released that's just the beginning, patches, updates and additions can make a Luke-warm game... Great.

You got my money but I hope more is added.

17. micle2000

micle2000 New Member

Apr 29, 2015
    This game is great! I really love all the small details, I'd say this game one of the most 'coherent' rogue-lites out there.

I haven't made it back down with the treasure, but it's lots of fun.

I'd say learning all the subtleties of the movement and enemies is probably what's most fun for me.

18. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #39 gemineye62, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    This is a really fun game! I like this way better than the usual rogue like games.
    I don't care about scores etc. as the random levels keep it interesting.
    I made it only to the Dragon and got crispy fried. A puzzle rogue like game
    is right up my alley.

I also like the music and sound effects. It's a nice complete package.

19. JasonHPickering

JasonHPickering Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Alright so I am going to try and answer some of the questions that have been posted. If I miss you, feel free to just ask again.

Ringerill: I am not sure exactly whats going on with that. Can you post a screenshot? I will see if I can find whats causing it.

esty8nine: that is actually the order of the monsters on that floor. It can come in handy, when you are using certain enemies to block other enemies. would popping up somehting on the bottom that says "Turn Order" help out? I can add that in the next update.

Lavender: New enemies and traps do pop up as you go, I kept the same tileset for all the floors(May change in the future) I would say it is much more puzzle then RPG. I guess RPG goes more for the fantasy theme then the game mechanics.

coolpepper43: initially I like the idea of the player figuring out each enemy, but do you think there was something I could add that might make the enemies a bit quicker to understand, aside from just a more in-depth description? MonsterPedia? maybe symbols?

Exact-Psience: Yeah, I kind of understand that. Originally this game started as a test where I tried to take a roguelike and pair it down as much as possible. For example, I started with 5 health, but then it only mattered when you had 1 health left, which is when I moved into the single hit death mechanic. I also did have equipment in the game. The player could carry items, that changed their movement system. Like a shield that allowed them to move diagonally. All this was kind of taking away from the core mechanic of movement, so it ended up being taken out. So I totally get why its not a roguelike. I do think that term has gotten extremely nebulous though. I think we may be in need of a new term in the future though. We may have to redo the Berlin interpretation, because the genre is really starting to open up. Also if you are into Roguelikes I plan on making an actual one coming up. Equipment, monsters, permadeath. all that fun stuff.

predator8u: I have "plans" for adding more content but have not figured out how I wish to implement it yet.

As for updates and the future. I have not really figured out the best way to do this yet. My three ideas are
    1. Add new enemies into the base game
    2. Add new enemies into the game, but give the player the option to turn off what monsters they do and do not want to battle. (100% Floating Eye Run)
    3. Themed expansions the player can turn on and off. I might add an undead expansion where it adds new enemies, tilesets, and traps. this would also mean crazy stuff that player could try. maybe even dragon variants.

I think 3 is probably the best bet. giving the best options. (Also I have no intentions of selling expansions)

well that was probably the most I have ever posted on this site. Please keep the conversation going!