Metroidvania Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by billavi, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. billavi

billavi Member

Aug 31, 2008
    I've played a number of Metroidvanias on iOS and am hoping to find out about more. When I do a search on "iOS Metroidvanias", the results are pretty lackluster; usually older titles that I wouldn't really call Metroidvanias. Meanwhile, Grimvalor never pops up in any search, even though it's a stellar game. So, what are your favorite Metroidvanias on iOS?

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Dandara is an amazing Metroidvania. Of course, there’s now one of the best ever in Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Also would probably consider Dead Cells in the category.

erherringbone likes this.
  3. Do you consider hyper light drifter to be a metroidvania? It has map, world and secrets to explore. Does metroidvania have to feature platforming?

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Spacemite is a recent one that I quite enjoyed. It didn’t get much attention unfortunately.

erherringbone likes this.
  5. billavi

billavi Member

Aug 31, 2008
    I couldn't get into Hyper Light Drifter. It didn't seem to really be a Metroidvania in my book. I may revisit it someday.

I've never heard of it. I think I'll give it a try after I finish SOTN. I bought SOTN the second TA posted the article. It would be awesome of Konami ported over all of the GBA / DS versions. What are the odds of that happening?

6. Still not sure how a game is sorted out into this genre. Hyper Light Drifter fits into the description. But I still don't think it's a Metroidvania. To me, a Metroidvania game is a platformer that is more than just jumping around but also gives players a Metroid and Castlevania vibe.

7. billavi

billavi Member

Aug 31, 2008
    True. I feel as if Zelda clones are similar to Metroidvanias, they’re just not platformers. I didn’t get too far into HLD because I found it confusing; I kept going back to the same areas. Meanwhile, I loved Cat Quest, as I found it much more straightforward.

8. billavi

billavi Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Anyone play Grimoire of Souls yet in Canada? I don’t usually download free-to-play games, but SOTN is changing my mind. Perhaps that’s why Konami put it out; to whet our appetites?