Meteorfall - Roguelike deck builder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by slothwerks, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #81 cbos0503, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    @dev... Where do you want feedback/bugs posted? I came across 1 bug so far where the continue button was duplicated. I'll get a screenshot next time it happens.

edit: and another bug where clicking on start does nothing...
    edit2: after killing/restarting the app when start didn't do anything, it told me I had a game in progress. When continuing, I was able to continue from the previous game I died on. Had 0/20 HP and 'Rest' was one of my options. So I did, and now have 20/20 HP. It was almost like a free continue.

2. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Wowzers

@slothwerks

Regarding your post. Yes I understand it is a way of getting the word out there, just thinknit is unfair for you. But you do have a point with what you say.

On the testing (i am pedroramadasilva with both android and ipad).
    This game is sooo awesome.
    I have now tried 3 of the classes (i played one game each), warrior, thief and wizard. (I know they are characters with a name and a story, but heck they feel classy to me lol).
    Funny thing is I like thief the most because of the number of actions, but I only managed to finish it with wizard. The wizard is soooo good with the frozen ability of spells. Enemies are really slowed down because of that.
    I am enjoying the game and I can see where you got your influences very clearly, because you put stuff i loved about dreamquest for example here (temple to thin the deck, the actions,etc).
    I love the art. It's just like adventure time but waaaaaaay better.
    Up to now i only found one bug. When i finished the game with the wizard there was no big finish party. It just showed a level up screen then threw me to the title screen. When i started again there was the option to continue, so i did and it showed me the level up, but then it does nothing, just hangs there (lets you check your deck, but nothing else really).
    If I may suggest, I don't know of you were already thinking about it, but you should create a "collection" option on the title screen where you could see cards you had already seen in the game (be they items, your decks, monsters, etc). In the beginning it could show all with question marks, and then start ublocking them whenever you first started seeing them.
    Other than that, i truly hope for expasions that give us new characters and new big bosses (partly because, surpringly for me, because i like games but i usually suck lol, i felt the game was a bit short).
    Thank you very much and best of luck. Now on to trying this on my ipad.

3. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

You're actually free to share screenshots, stories, videos, streams, etc... If you're a content creator and want to put ads on it to make some money, go nuts :) I definitely support all types of sharing!

4. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Anywhere is fine! This thread is OK; email, Twitter DM. I posted some different options on this page http://meteorfall-game.com/feedback/

I haven't seen a case where the continue button is duplicated, so definitely send me a screenshot if you see that again.

I'll take a look at continuing, that one is weird - haven't seen that one before either. You seem to be good at finding these kinds of bugs :p

5. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks for all the feedback!

And yeah - honestly I think of them as classes also (warrior, priest, mage, rogue) The character names are mostly for flavor :) In the code it is just the class names.

I'll look into the issue you mentioned with the wizard, that sounds pretty bizarre. I know at least one person mentioned a similar issue and I think that perhaps you may have died somehow, but the defeat screen didn't trigger at the right time, and so there's sort of a delayed reaction (eg: after the level up screen) where it resolves. I'm not sure.

I like your idea for sort of a 'card encyclopedia', I'll think about that one! I agree it adds to the collection aspect and would be pretty fun to work on completing our collection by buying all the cards.

In terms of additions, I'd definitely like to add at least 1-2 more classes and maybe some more of what I call 'decisions' where you choose between outcomes. Not sure on bosses, though given the procedural nature of the game, it's pretty easy to add in new enemies or bosses.

Glad you're enjoying so far!

6. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    #86 Armadi, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Feedback

Thank you for the opportunity to beta test. Loving the game!

I've played all 4 classes and won with the rogue/Mischief.

I like the simple decisions- no hand of cards just one at a time play or don't. I think between the simple gameplay and the great art this will be much more accessible then dreamquest and potentially more popular.

Bugs:

1. I just ran into a crippling bug. On the 3rd adventure with 6 encounters left (after beating 2 bosses) as the cleric/Rose- I fully upgraded a nice lean deck at the blacksmith (3 meditate, 2 smite, heal and a copy of the card that deals 20% of your hp as damage) after fully upgrading the cards the game froze and when i continue I can do nothing- I just see rose next to the encounter deck with 6 encounters remaining.

2. After beating the game as mischief, when I restarted the game offered me the chance to continue my last game, where I was able to level up my game-winning mischief but then do nothing. No big deal.

3. Sometimes the damage tooltip is wrong for smite.

4. when choosing to upgrade cards at the blacksmith stab and observe don't properly show their upgraded stats (maybe other cards too but these are the ones I've noticed).

5. Iron Skin isn't working as intended, the effect drops off immediately at the end of your turn instead of lasting through the opponent's turn.

6. as bruno, cleansing potion removed my sword, I think it said it would only remove debuffs (it also removed my burning condition)

typo- when opening chests the hint says "dilutes your decks power" should be "deck's"

Consider making the following changes:

Displaying the stamina cost of cards that you pick from on level up, that info is vital to the decision.

Displaying max stamina like you display max health

Heal spell- instead of saying it heals 4 damage, say health or nothing at all "heals 4"

Letting players know if they have enough gold to actually upgrade at blacksmith or buy from shop when making their choice of what to do for the encounter- on my first playthrough I went to the blacksmith with 7 gold and wasn't able to do anything.

Devil's bargain- display the upgraded card's abilities.

Displaying whether a card was discarded or played in the recap.

Regarding stuff to add, I'd love to see the things mentioned already plus maybe a longer adventure.

Thanks for making this game, please keep up your hard work!

Edit: I just checked and I'm the top of the leaderboard for now (puffinator11$)

7. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Forgot to add my email earlier - benexclaimed [at] gmail dot com

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Late a work for having played too much of Meteorfall last night.

Slothwerks, I feel you are responsible.

What an awesome and addicting game.
    From the music, the voices to graphics and the humor everything clicks.

We really should find a name for the poor bear.
    I can’t help but laugh EVERY time I see his paw.

9. Oynox

Oynox Member

Mar 31, 2015
    #89 Oynox, Sep 26, 2017
    First impressions

So I think first impressions are very important so here are some of mine when booting up the game for the first time:

Initially the character selection process was confusing. Knowing nothing about this game, the character description and their unlockable cards gave little away about how they play. First character I chose was Greybeard however I did not went very far because I died rather quickly. My second and third round with Bruno and Mischief, respectively, were much more successful. Maybe it was because it was my first round, maybe Greybeard is a bit weak or at least too difficult for the first match. Time will tell. One more thing regarding the tutorial, I accidentally skipped the second and third message choosing my location because I actually found the first one ("choose your location") so self explanatory that I wanted to tap on one and thus skipped the next two messages.

Basically, the first round was not very satisfactory because I did not understand much about the character focus and accidentally skipped tutorial messages. This was probably my fault to a good portion but I think you could maybe highlight each characters strength a bit more clearly. I have to admit that I read a bit too quickly maybe, because I did not even understand what this hourglass symbol meant until I played with the Mischief and realized it represented how many cards I could play..

I will try to replay the tutorial a couple of times again to see if I can find anything which maybe was unclear to me.

/edit
    Some things just crossed my mind again:

The shop is completely lacking cost of upgrades. I just visited it once and since I apparently had not enough gold, I never visited it again because I did not even know how much I needed.

Maybe you could also add some kind of better hint that you have to swipe left right, especially during those random events. Also, the card information when you swipe and hold needs a little bit too much time to pop up in my opinion. I initially just "stumbled" upon those descriptions.

And actually, if I am thinking about it, I did not really understand how turns worked during the tutorial. I will see if I can make this piece of feedback more precise when I replay the tutorial.

Bugs:

I cannot really consistently recreate this but I repeated the tutorial to recall the feedback I had. I wanted to skip through the later messages quickly and tapped hastily on the screen. The game seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by that and was a bit clunky which culminated of the settings wheel not working and instead displaying the message "15 enemies to the boss". I would guess my touch was not registered at the right place but I am not sure. I had to quit the app through the app switcher.

Another one: After I killed an enemy with poison, literally, it died because of the poison effect at the start of the turn, the game soft locked. There was still sound but no new enemies or card appears. I could touch the wheel, had the feedback that my touch was registered but nothing happend and nothing moved on.

However I really love the art design of your game and the gameplay seems very promising while keeping it simple and offering possibilities of short rounds but at the same time give you plenty of room to create your deck during each playthrough. I can already see this one in my card game folder next to Card Crawl, Card Thief, Solitairica and Miracle Merchant. It really scratches a similar itch.

10. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I also find the turn structure similar to Frost

11. CoolDukeNukem

CoolDukeNukem Member

Aug 16, 2017
    I have started the beta and played with all the characters. So far I enjoy the Wizard the most. I like the charging mechanic for spells.

I have found one bug so far. While playing the wizard I did a Treasure search and found a spell that just said “inferno ROMAN_ERROR”. It did not display the text saying what the spell did. I added it to deck and still could not see it. And when I drew it I could not play it. Just able to discard it for stamina each time it was drawn.

Also I noticed that in the upgrade screen the card Stab does not show the actual changes. Going to level 2 it says it still does 1 damage but when I got one at level 2 it says it actually does 2 damage.

Game plays really well so far though. I have never been able to beat the second location boss yet.

For recommendations I would like to see more upgrade options besides the 3 additional spells for each character to use gems on. But I am not sure about how the balance would work for that.

12. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    Beta

Holy Electric Bugaloo!

This is a blast to play!
    From the art down to the deck building, and coin grind to unlock starting cards, I must say I am pleasantly surprised by it!

I must ask if this will be a premium experience(so it seems?) or will it be a free to play type thing?

Either way I'll be following with interest, I'm just sad the beta will run out after a time and I'll have to wait for launch to permanently add it to my gaming reptoire!

Great Job and keep up the good work :D

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving how you've hidden a clever little strategic deck builder inside really simple "Swipe Left or Right" mechanics. Sneaky.

14. CoolDukeNukem

CoolDukeNukem Member

Aug 16, 2017
    I just beat the final boss for the first time as the Rogue. As someone else mentioned the ending screen seems a little buggy. I got 201 gems and a continue button appeared but everything froze then I pressed continue. I had to force close and reopen the app to get back to the home screen.

15. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks for the first impressions!

I do think Greybeard is a bit more complex, due to having to manage the "spell charges" than Bruno/Mischief. That said, Greybeard is usually my go-to character because I really enjoy how spells work in the game. Definitely give him a try after you've played it a bit more. I'll see if I can find a way to better communicate the play style for each character. One idea is that it might be better to put some notes about the playstyle on the character select screen, and add the 'flavor' text somewhere else.

I had a couple comments re: the speed of the pop-ups, so I'll reduce the time for those to appear. I do think they're pretty critical to understanding what's going on, so I think it's better if people don't have to find them accidentally.

re: the "15 enemies to boss" I know what that issue is about, so I'll fix it. I think there's like an "invisible button" on the screen. Normally, there is a compass on the right and you can tap it to see how many enemies there are until the boss. However, it's possible to click it even when it's not visible, which is super weird :p

re: Poison - I got a few reports of that. Seems like I broke something there, and I should have a fix out later this week.

Thanks again for the great feedback! It's an honor to be compared to those games, all 3 of which are among my top inspirations for game design :D

16. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

- The ROMAN_ERROR has been fixed locally and a fix should be pushed out later this week
    - Yeah - stab description for upgrades is bugs. Easy fix, should also be in the next build I send out
    - I think it would be cool to add more upgrade options but need to think about. I think rogue-lite games that add too many upgrades often "trivialize" the early content by making it too easy. For the cards you can unlocked, most of them are not strictly better than the basic cards (they are perhaps a bit more powerful) but I think the challenge is maintained. If I do add any other upgrades, I'd probably add "alternatives"; for instance, maybe you choose a deity to worship when you start. If you worship a vampire, you gain some lifesteal but you lose the ability to heal through other abilities (Dream Quest has a lot of good ideas around this)

I'll take a look at the issue you had when you won as well. It's not an area that I've tested a lot because I so rarely see it, but I should be able to skip to the end and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Congrats on beating the game as well! I think there are still just a few people that have done it. I've seen wins so far with Bruno & Mischief :)

17. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Glad you're enjoying so far! It will definitely be premium. Still deciding on price, but mostly like $1.99 with no IAP/ads.

18. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Playtesting

Beaten the game with all 4 characters now. Love it.

Slothwerks, did you see my comments earlier in the thread?

Great job on the game!

Only other thing to report is bleed still does 1 damage per card played when at 0 stack. Not sure if that's intended.

Also I think smite does the extra damage for healing if you healed on the last round when you beat a prior creature. Not sure.

19. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    #99 downgrad3r, Sep 26, 2017
    Initial impressions and feedback

Note that—over the course of about 3 hours—I performed multiple playthroughs with each class. I found the wizard to be suited to my playstyle, and had more success during wizard runs.

–Exceptional art, UI (especially the menu animations), sound design (we appreciate the blues in the American South)

–Reasonable (perhaps even low) power consumption and use of space (410 MB installed)

–Recommendations: (1) maybe add one more tutorial bit informing users that you also swipe to choose (just maybe); (2) “not enough gold” chyron displays either too far left or right depending upon which card the user has attempted to select for upgrade; easy enough to figure out since the lettering is red, but “not” is cut off when the leftmost column selected and the last two letters of “gold” when cards in the far right column are selected (perhaps the chyron should display in the center regardless of the card chosen); (3) provide users with a means of determining the cost of card upgrades even if they cannot afford them, as there does not appear to be a means of doing so presently _if_ users do not have enough gold (this led to selecting the blacksmith option on my first playthrough, which didn’t help at all since I was unable to purchase upgrades or see prices); (4) similar to #1 above, perhaps some indication that users must swipe left or right at the events screen (the info bar appears presently, but those awesome arrows from the tutorial or some other visual cue directing a swipe left or right might be helpful); (5) during battle, text dropdown for lvl 2 smite card displays 3/5 info from lvl 1 card in parenthetical instead of 5/10 info with healing or full health; (6) touch box often pulls up enemy stats while attempting to access settings menu; (7) Enemy AI performed reckless strike killing itself in the process during two battle (cannot recall his name, but he also has the plate armor card); (8) allow users to view enemy action recap/history from final turn when defeated (I like to know how I died, and it happens fast sometimes; (9) one instance of touch box failing to respond when tapping “start” to begin a new game

It will take some time for me to form any meaningful or helpful impressions about the cards (ie, synergies and attributes), parity between classes (if that’s a goal), etc., but I agree with your assessment of potentially “trivializ[ing]” the experience with too many upgrades. I second the collection/gallery and character playstyle recommendations.

Edit: Made #5 on the global leaderboard with 162 (wizard)

20. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #100 cbos0503, Sep 26, 2017
    Bugs:
    - I've gotten the non-responsive bug several times at different points in the game. The one mentioned in an earlier post happened right after I died. Had it again in the middle of a battle. Swiping left/right didn't do anything.
    - There was an instance where my current HP was greater than my maximum HP. Upgraded a card for 3 HP, I think. Anyway, I started the next battle with 25 of 22 HP. The enemy hit me for 2, but it subtracted 3 from my HP. I assume when I lost the 3 HP for the card upgrade, current HP should have also been decreased.
    - Upgrade text on 'Observe' is like 'Stab' in that the upgraded text shows what the current stats are, instead of what the upgraded stats would be.

UI:
    - The events with the black background screen (duplicate ability, trade HP for stamina, etc.). Maybe add something denoting the two choices. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that I was to swipe left or right. Not a huge issue.
    - While fighting a monster, the remaining actions counter isn't intuitive, or at least not updated consistently. It seems to update after the turn resolves, instead of when you play the card. One of the issues here is that it appears you have an action remaining when your turn ends. That counter should count down to 0. Also, mechanically what happens when playing 'Stab' is the action counter decreases for playing the action, and then increases for the effect 'Stab' gives. Something like a red '-1' animation for actions spent and a green '+1' for actions gained would be awesome.
    - Giving further definition for some of the effects like poison, bleed, freeze, etc. would be helpful.
    - Being able to click on a card and bring up the detail text from the fighting interface would also be helpful.
    - Getting some kind of notification as to how your deck was altered as a result of 'Pickpocket', 'Boast', etc.

Balance:
    - I haven't spent nearly enough time with this to get a feel for the balance, but I can say that 'Observer' is a little OP in my opinion... especially with Mischief. I don't think the +2 attack (+2 additional for every upgrade) counters should stack, or at least be capped. Or maybe have the effect go away on your next attack or something... or change it to only be a +1 attack per card skipped... or have the stamina replenishment be a little less effective with it active or something.
    - As far as the difficulty, I've only really played the warrior class... and it's pretty difficult. I don't think I've made it to the 3rd location yet. What kind of success ratio are you looking for? After upgrading a classes cards, 50% success? 25% success?

I'm kind of in bug-finding/UI tweaking mode at the moment, but I'll definitely be playing this enough to balance test it as well. It's a great little card game. Really has a TON of potential.

Edit: Just had an issue with dodge. I used dodge, and when I played an attack card on the enemy, the dodge text came up like I dodged an attack.