Universal Meteorfall: Journey (by Eric Farraro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 24, 2018.

1. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

One lever that I do have there is that I can play with spell charges a bit. Mages were designed to be a class that blow up an enemy if they had a bunch of charged spells, but that they'd suffer through future battles as they were forced to recharge cards. It might be that the 'blowing up an enemy' is a little too strong and/or it's too easy to keep cards charged without paying the price.

2. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks for the idea! I've added this as some type of Battle Mage or Monk type class idea. I do think it would be need to have some kind of class that didn't use Meditate to charge spells, but instead was some how able to charge spells by punching something :p

3. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Super enjoying this game. Haven't played the mage yet, but I've had the most success with the thief. Stab/eviscerate/dodge/knife seem to be a great combo.

You do need to tweak how shops/temples/blacksmiths/etc appear. If I just leveled it's a waste to throw a rest my way and two blacksmiths in a row is pointless since I'm always broke by the second one.

4. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I'd like to second that. Two Shops/Blacksmiths is rather annoying/useless and it happens quite often, even w/o a fight (opportunity to earn some coins) in between.

And Mage is much easier than thief.

5. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #85 Gambler, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    With mediate alone it's hard to keep all spells charged and some of the later cards (forgot the name, the one that charges four random spells by one or the one that charges a discarded card by three) can be pretty helpful but not necessarily so. Some spells are very powerful though, I tended to ignore Ice and with mediate only recharged stronger spells like Zap or Windmaker. All in all having to few charges rarely was an issue, at least with Greybeard. Rose is definitely harder.

It's definitely too easy too blow up an enemy w/o paying the charge price. I very rarely ran into situations where the majority of my spells were out of charge and even when, a rest and/or level up was usually right around the corner.

6. calabash11

calabash11 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Totally agree on both counts, had my best game yet as Mischief.
    And I still want the music from the trailer/promo in the game. ;)

7. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #87 Gambler, Jan 29, 2018
    Are the same three cards for each character the only stuff you can buy with the diamonds you earn after each playthrough? If yes, I'll see myself with a lot of unused diamonds pretty soon. First too much cards dilute the deck, as often mentioned in the game too and some of those cards don't seem to be that good.

Just take Rose's Shadowburn (5dmg to opponent, 3dmg to yourself) or her Shadow Pact (5dmg to opponent and 4 to yourself if the card's not charged) - If I compare those to cards to a card you can get randomly like Holy Strike for example (4dmg to opponent and 2 heal to yourself) or even Reckless strike (+6 & -2dmg for 3 stamina) the rewards for the earned diamonds seem rather meager. I'd prefer if there also was an option to permanently upgrade your cards with the diamonds for example (eg Heal I -> Heal II for 200 - 300 diamonds or sth like that).

Shadowburn's a rather weak card imo and Shadow Pact's also not that great, especially if you don't get a chance to charge it (the three cards you can choose with mediate are randomly selected after all). All in all I don't see those upgrade cards making the character much stronger (on the contrary, both can mess up a playthrough). At least for Rose, haven't tried the other character's so far.

As mentioned above, I'd prefer an (extra?) option to upgrade your starting cards, maybe for more diamonds and even more for stage III - This would definitely benefit the character more for future playthroughs and give me more incentive for earning diamonds.

8. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Right now, the distribution of the destinations is purely random but I'm going to make a tweak so that if you're full health or have too little gold, that destination will be replaced with something that you can use. Right now, some ideas I have include 'Scavenge' (gain gold), 'Train' (gain XP), or 'Alchemy' (gain a random potion) These actions wouldn't be included in the standard list of possibilities, but would only serve as replacements if the other actions would be unusable.

9. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

I thought about including that music, but I'd have to figure out how to do it. I LOVE that song, but I thought people might find it obnoxious in the game itself :p

10. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

The unlocks are the only things to spend diamonds on. I will probably add some more stuff (such as more cards per character or maybe some other things) but I'm trying to be careful not to make the game too grindy. I want most players to be experience all the content without having to spend weeks unlocking it.

It's not that clear in-game, but the unlocked cards replace Attack cards. I'd say that most of the cards should be strictly better than the basic Attack cards you start with. I actually like Shadow Burn / Shadow Pact in Rose, since she has the ability to heal damage, and so the downside is not that big of a deal. They also give her some good punch early on.

The cards you unlock are also not really meant to be better than other cards in the starting pool, just different. I like the idea of expanding your strategic options through unlocks, but not adding cards that are strictly more powerful. This was one thing I didn't like about Monster Slayers (Steam), where you could get all sort of passive upgrades and items that trivialized the first 2/3rds of the game. I want to maintain a pretty consistent level of challenge even after you've unlocked the cards, and just give you more options to play with.

11. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    You have a very talented artist! The art and animations are really well done. Bramble’s Fortitude was a pretty useful card during my run with Bruno.

As for ideas, in my opinion I think permanent upgrades might not be the best way to go. Card or passive item unlockables would be great. The most recent Slay the Spire update offers a mode where a challenge is added every run if you manage to win, and I think it could work well here.

eg:
    1. Stronger normal opponents.
    2. Stronger bosses (in addition to 1.)

Of course these are just ideas and I trust you would continue to make this a great game in your own way.

12. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Does this game support cloud saving?

13. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Don't think so, at least the app icon doesn't appear in my icloud drive.
    Alas can't test it right now as my second device had an accident but sure the dev will chime in.

14. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

It does not. I knew it would be something people asked for, but I was a little bit worried that I wouldn't solve conflicted data properly (eg: when the data between one device and another are out of sync) and people would end up losing data. I'm not totally opposed to adding it if there's a lot of demand for it, but for me, it would be lower priority than adding extra content (characters/cards/events)

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Of the two, I prefer new content and characters. Also, since buying all the special character cards, all the coinage is stockpiling up with nowhere to go. Hopefully, I can spend it on something when the new content arrives.

16. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #96 Gambler, Jan 29, 2018
    Nice those are great ideas. I love the Blacksmith - upgrading the cards is most important - but when getting him twice in a row with the other option also being unusable (second shop, temple if you have a small deck anyway, rest after a level up etc) having the mentioned actions available would be great.

Ok, I get where you're coming from. Adding some cards at least would be great though (diamonds are already stockpiling, same as ColeDaddy). I usually see the point of most Roguelikes in being able to strengthen the character or his/her gear after multiple playthroughs whereas most diamond cards are a minor improvement at best as you say yourself.

And yes, Shadowburn & -pact can pack a punch in the beginning but opponents are so easy then and you get healed and charged quite often that this is not very important and later on the cards become more of a hindrance as the stuff from treasures is usually far superior. For my part, I'd disable one or both of them again (can also be seen as increasing strategic options) if there was an in-game option for it.

Also, the disadvantage of the lack of any "grindiness" imo is that a lot only hinges on the luck of the draw atm .

Anyway, got aware of a few glitches:
    - Rose sometimes loses her second smite card. This happened two times now. Got no idea why or when exactly, both times both cards had been upgraded to Smite II though.
    - The remaining charges of spells often aren't shown correctly. For example when I tap on Deck after a rest or level up it still shows some (seemingly random) cards missing charges. Sometimes even the first (leftmost) charge empty and the second/third full.
    - The Berserk ability of the Nuke Viking says the +2 dmg increase is cancelled when "you" discard a card. Don't know if that's a glitch but neither when I nor the opponent discard a card (by swiping left) his berserk ability disappears. I'd be at a loss what else discarding should mean though.

17. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Greatly enjoying this.

My two penn’orth - Mischief is kinda overpowered. It doesn’t take much luck to land her with a deck that’s entirely self-sustaining / refuelling, except Eviscerate.

I’ve just had a run in which I’ve inflicted <40 damage with Eviscerate multiple times.

Which is enjoyable. But does feel a bit like overkill. Iykwim. Think only 2 cards got to take a pop at me at all, in the final two worlds.

18. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    Great game

Hello.
    I’m having lots of fun. The game is really hard, but I can’t stop playing. I’m trying to figure out the warrior right now.

I encountered the attached error. I was able to continue after restarting the game. Just wanted to let you know it’s there.

Thank you for this great game. I hope for expansions, new cards and characters ;)

Attached Files:

19. calabash11

calabash11 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Maybe it just plays at the intro menu screen? I really appreciate how clean & uncluttered the game itself is once you're in it. At first I was thinking it would be neat if the spells and attacks had different sound & visual effects, or if the characters had voices, etc...but as I played more I realized you probably avoided all that by design. Which I think was a smart choice!

20. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Yeah, it does seem like I need to balance this out a bit, but not sure how yet. I've seen some of the decks players are using with Mischief and yeah - it does seem really easy to prune a deck to just include stab/eviscerate and just cycle through that small deck repeatedly.