Universal Meteorfall: Journey (by Eric Farraro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Here’s my +1 vote for more unlockables. I do think a few more things are needed per character (not just cosmetics) because the three cards take no time at all to unlock. I’d like to be able to permanently improve the heroes at least a little bit.

2. LANCEtheLAW

LANCEtheLAW Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
  3. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

I'll bump this up the wishlist. I'm a bit conflicted because I love unlockables myself (keeps me playing forever) while I'm also sympathetic to people that don't want to put in the hours, but still want to experience all the content the game has to offer. One thing I was considering was perhaps some light passive bonuses (eg: increased gold gain) that you could unlock. This would give the more hardcore people something to spend gems on, but still remain fairly easy for everyone to unlock the content (cards)

4. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    You could do permanent stat improvements with exponential increases in gem costs. So most players would get the early ones as they would be cheap and then the grinders can continue to improve the characters (examples: extra health, more gold gain, critical chance, maybe even some slight pre-game deck manipulation *drools*).

Edit: I’d also be completely willing to pay the purchase price again per each new scenario/adventure we can play other than the main one.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow, nice going, which class was this?

6. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Nice to hear that!
    Meteorfall is a great game anyway. I prefer it to touch tales’s works because it offers multiple characters to play and each of them requires different strategies to apply. Actually, its game play is similar to Night of Full Moon rather than Touch Tales’s works. NoFM is harder than this game, but it has no unlockables.

7. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Hell yeah. I've got it nicely nestled between Card Crawl and Solitairica now.

8. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #48 gmattergames, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Lovely game, really well done. Someone already made the comparison to Solitairica, and I couldn't agree more, while totally different card games, definitely has similar appeal.

If there's a wishlist, I vote for more content, as-in more "to-do's". The fourth and final to-do is just the end-boss, was hoping to battle the normal slew of pre-boss enemies. Perhaps an endless play mode?

Either way, great game, worth every penny. Cheers.

9. teamben

teamben Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Anyone that’s beaten it, would you mind sharing a screenshot of your final decks as a guide for what to aim for? I can’t seem to get past the second boss

10. TactAuthority

TactAuthority Active Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Didn't take a screenshot but basically my deck was built around applying frozen with frostbolts and then shatter for maximum damage. Frozen also keeps the enemy dmg down. I also skipped quite a bit of fights towards the end to make sure i was at full health for the boss

11. TactAuthority

TactAuthority Active Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Hah true which is nice imo

Mischief is certainly a lot harder for me so that's who i'm playing at the moment

Also, i'd echo the sentiment that this is much better than Card Crawl etc. It's definitely up there with Solatairica

12. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #52 Ghostdog1, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    I truely love this game. I think it is very well balanced. Not too hard, not too easy. I played it for several hours and was hooked to finish it with all chars.
    But after winning with the mage and bruno, i lost all motivation to go on, because you don't achieve anything. There is nothing unlocked. You get diamonds when winning that you also get when loosing. It would have been a better idea to let the player start with one char, for example the easy mage, and then unlock after winning the next char. This would give me something to look forward. Something i feel progression in.
    It feels like a 'Binding of Isaac' without all unlockables and secrets. I know the comparison is a bad one because of wrong genre but this is the feeling i have after playing it. It has great potential but for now its too empty. There could be more unlockable characters and cards and maybe a permanent upgrade system, so that my 700 diamonds are not useless.
    And it would be great to unlock enemy chars to play them.

13. Ancientmoon

Nov 18, 2016
    Try with Greybread. He is powerful. The three unlockable cards are all very strong and the keys to win. Lightning Bolt is especially incredible when you have a small deck. But it is up to your luck that how many key cards you can get.

I like to use smaller deck because I can upgrade all cards faster and also score a higher score after defeating the lich(because I can save more money).

Prototype:
    Stab: 1 ~ 2 copies
    Mind’s Eye and Meditate: 2 ~ 3
    Fire Shield(this card is very efficient because it can cause a lot of damages in ENEMY turns): 1
    Sap Mana: 1 or more
    Arcane Shock: 1 or more
    Lightning Storm: As many as possible

14. Ancientmoon

Nov 18, 2016
    And if your character reaches to 7 levels before the second boss, basically you will not lose the battle unless your deck is really bad.

15. mcmc

mcmc New Member

May 20, 2017
    Very good game yeah good !!!!!

16. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

I posted a bit about this earlier in the thread so I won't bore you by repeating it, but I definitely want to strike a balance between too easy and too grindy. One idea I'm considering is keeping the cards easy to unlock, but possibly adding some 'passives' (+ gold, + health, etc... ) that you can unlock. These would be more expensive and would add just some really small bonuses. That way, casual players still get to try all the cards and more hardcore players can get a small edge.

Unlocking enemies and playing as them is a really interesting idea. I'll think about that one.

17. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Great advice here. One mistake I see a lot of newer players making is taking every card you are offered (eg: from chests) and not visiting the Temple. Generally with this kind of game, having a tight, focused deck that you can cycle through quickly is one of the best ways to win.

18. slothwerks

Patreon Silver

Thanks - it's an honor to be compared to Solitairica!

I have hard/endless mode on the wishlist. I'm not sure yet what that would look like, but I'm definitely hearing the message that players want to have a more challenging game mode. I'll see if I can come up with something good :)

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Meteorfall and Thumper are my picks for GOTW. Awesome stuff

20. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Dev: not sure if it's hard-coded, but it seems like with Bruno, in the first stage, the first player choice event always seems to be blacksmith or rest, and because it occurs right after the second battle, the player just leveled and is at full health, and because Bruno doesn't use spells, there's no need to rest. Similarly, because it occurs so early, the player hasnt earned enough coin to use the blacksmith. I'm hoping this was just an oversight.