iPad Meteor Blitz by Alley Labs (v1.6 - Retina Display)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Veratek, Sep 16, 2009.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not sure what you're doing wrong -- the controls are very tight for me. The ship moves fast when I want it to, slow when I need it to go slow. Perhaps you're sliding your finger a bit too far, assuming that the controls are not very responsive. If you aren't, well, don't know what to tell you. As far as I can tell, it's not a problem with the game.

2. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    YIHOOOOO!!!! IM NOT TO OLD!!!!! I LOOOVE this GAME :)

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You get a boost if you double tap the movement stick...are you tapping on your movement stick as opposed to simply holding down and sliding about? Perhaps the game's "double tap" detection is a bit loose and counts any two taps of that area as a double tap? I definitely haven't had this problem but at the same time I rarely boost intentionally either at this point (even though it would have saved my ass many a time).

I for one, while I like the premise of the grav gun, really haven't figured out how to use it effectively (one of those deals where I know HOW to do it but as it requires too much conscious effort on my part to do so, I rarely do).

4. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I hate the boost being double tap the move button...

...so I switched it to Shake, and the controls are absolutely perfect!

What do you guys have on shake?

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    No, I'm just holding and sliding my finger around ala minigore, but I don't feel like I have control because my ship keeps varying in speed...I know about the double tap to boost and I'm definitely not tapping or lifting my fingers at all. I will start moving my ship and then it will seem to just accelerate suddenly in that direction...are you guys moving your fingers around the outside of the circle or just simply sliding across it if you want to change directions?

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The grav gun works best with the bosses, in my opinion. Since you can still shoot while holding an object, it's more like a sweet, destructive bonus ;).

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm keeping my finger centered and moving it slightly where I want the ship to go. If I want it to go faster, I move it farther in that direction. It seems to respond almost instantly.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    maybe that's my issue then, i'm not moving slightly, I am moving my finger to the edges of the circle from center in each direction I want to go...I wish we could turn off the change in acceleration or lower it...that would be a nice user option to have

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So to swing something like a ball and chain I start swinging around before the object is sucked all the way to me?

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Does anyone else just turn the shake mechanism off? I've never been a fan of shaking as a control device. The only time it seems to make sense is in zombie/monster type games, where you have to shake them off (Doom, Pandorum, etc). In a game like this though, I just prefer it off...I actually really appreciate that they made this an option.

11. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Just had a good game, got near the end of the 5th world and 2nd on the leaderboard. Have to say the basic controls are damn near perfect although I don't use the gravity gun or boost at all. The best shooter on the iphone by a long stretch. The only thing that bothers me is replayability, I'm not sure once the 6 worlds are beaten wether survival mode will be enough, maybe the devs should look at some of the other modes *similar* games like super stardust have :D

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That may be true. But one of the really thrilling actions of the game is speeding up to avoid a spawning meteor, coming to a screeching halt at another, shooting, then backtracking immediately -- and having it all feel natural and under control.

13. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I think it actually makes boosting when you're surrounded by loads of evil monsters possible. A boost button, like the bomb/weapon button would be even better though.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Funny -- didn't even know it was there...

15. Alley Labs

Alley Labs Well-Known Member

Once you get through the 6 worlds, the game wraps back around to the first world but everything is twice as fast and all enemies are twice as strong! Things definitely get a lot more challenging when that happens!

Here's the video we made for the gravity gun if you want to check it out again. It takes some practice to get the swinging motion down, but it's worth it. And the boost mechanism can be a big help; remember, you destroy everything in your path when you boost. It's a powerful weapon!

16. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Wow, I had no idea you could do that, I thought it was just a grab and shoot back weapon. Also finishing the 6th world then starting again but harder is very welcome. Here's an idea, seeing how well the gravity gun works, how about a gravity gun only mode? that could be fun. Also no weapon survival mode while the screen continues to populate and you run for your life as long as you can.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #177 Harpua, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    So do we actually get some kind of point bonus for using the gravity gun? I've been trying to watch my score when I use it, but it's nearly impossible to take your eyes off the screen without dying... But that's a good thing!! :D

Edit: Nevermind, just watched the gravity gun video & it answered my question

18. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Can someone explain to me how you swing stuff with a gravity gun? It always just attracts right next to my ship and sticks there until I launch it.

---

On a completely unrelated note, this has taken more of my time than geoDefense Swarm has ATM. That's pretty good IMO.

19. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #179 Squirt Reynolds, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    +1.. With the exception of A4E (shaking the zombies off), I hate shake controls no matter what their purpose. Most other games that have a "shake to ______", I find that I tire of them very quickly unless there is an alternative control scheme. F.A.S.T. is another exception because the game itself is so good. But the shake to dodge missiles was something that almost ruined that game for me.

As for shake controls in Meteor Blitz, I was aware of that control option the first time I played it, but I of course chose not to use it. I personally have no problem boosting with a double-tap. I can do it accurately and can do it every time I need to. On the other hand, I think it's great that the devs did include an optional shake control scheme for the people that prefer it. Just like with everything else about this game, they put a lot of thought into the controls, and got it right the first time.

20. diffusion8r

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Srsly, need to know how to do swing with the gravity gun in a few minutes before I have an hour stint on it and try and get in the top 10.