iPad Meteor Blitz by Alley Labs (v1.6 - Retina Display)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Veratek, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #221 Squirt Reynolds, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    I'm sad to report that I also just had my first crash. I'm not sure if it's just a coincedence, but the game also crashed on me when my score was over 1 million (1.2 milion I believe). I was also playing arcade mode when it happened, and I had started from the very beginning at World 1, and had just unlocked World 5 with my global rank at 4, then out of nowhere the game crashed back to the home screen. I re-opened the game, only to find that all my progress had been lost, and that my score hadn't saved.

This is the first time this has happened to me with this game, and maybe it's because it was the first time I broke 1 million. Scoring a million or higher definitely takes a while, and playing for that length of time might be the cause of the crashing (i.e. 20 minutes or more). I have a 3GS running 3.1 by the way.

This is obviously not a major problem, and I still absolutely love this game, but I have to admit that (like Aldex Oun) i'm now a little hesitant to put the time into another high score Arcade Mode session. Also, since high scores are a big part of this game's replayability, it's definitely something that should be looked into, and hopefully fixed in the first update.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I thought the game autosaves?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed on the home screen -- it's like a screen from a totally different game. But you have to agree, complaining about it is a bit like complaining that your hotel room in Paris is kind of small and plain. I mean, it's not like you plan to spend any time there (especially with the crazy-short load times ;)).

4. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    It's supposed to, but it definitely does not if it crashes.

It did save my progress in terms of unlocking World 5, but other than that, everything else was gone.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It does; apparently the crash is bad enough to reset the game. Hasn't happened to me yet, but then again, I won't be getting to 1 mil any time soon...

6. Alley Labs

Alley Labs Well-Known Member

Hey guys, really sorry about the crash bug. We'll fix it ASAP. I've personally never run into it, and I've scored over 3 million in Arcade. But thinking back, I've never scored that high in one sitting. I always quit out in the middle and resumed sometime later. When the game crashed on you, were you playing one continuous session? And if so, about how long were you playing? Perhaps if you exit and resume the app every 500,000 points, the crash might not occur?

7. Squirt Reynolds

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    #227 Squirt Reynolds, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    When my game crashed, I had been playing one continuous session (about 20-25 minutes). I'm assuming that was the case for the others that had the game crash on them.

Until the bug's fixed, i'll try playing in 500,000 point increments like you mentioned.

BTW, thank you devs for responding, and for remaining active in this thread. It'll definitely keep a lot of people confident in you guys and in this game.

8. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I haven't had much time to play since last night but this game instantly reminds me of Super Stardust on the PS3. So far, it's very polished and the particle effects look great.

I have a question. With the gravity gun, is there a way I can use it without constantly firing my other weapon too? The problem is that by the time I get to firing the object I've grabbed, my normal shots have already destroyed whatever it is I'm aiming at, therefore giving me less of those yellow orbs to collect.

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    okay, grrr, i am really terrible at this game, and I had just gotten into level 4 of world 1 on a non-jailbroken, iphone 3G running OS 3.0 when the game just suddenly froze and crashed to desktop...that did not make me happy

especially since this was the best I had done so far and had 2 lives left...I might have actually been able to beat level 5 and unlock the 2nd world

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well, we can't say that you haven't given it a good college try ;).

Most crash-to-desktops are the result of running out of RAM for the application -- which is why 3Gs and 3rd Gen Touches rarely get them. Meteor Blitz is a pretty intense game graphics-wise, so perhaps people with older devices should do hard-quits out of Safari and Mail before playing (or restart altogether, though that takes much longer).

11. Alley Labs

Hey guys,

Wanted to get back to you with a video that's got some still-shots of the gravity gun in action and try to walk you through how to do some of the more advanced moves with it and go over its basic functions. Hope this helps out and please let us know if you have any follow up questions on the weapon.

12. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    There seems to be some hiccups in this video where the video stalls but the audio keeps going and then the video comes back. It makes seeing whats happening a little hard.

The Gravity Gun is a nice feature for the game by the way.

13. Alley Labs

Ah, those were intentional, I was trying to stop-frame things to show you what the proper approach to an object with the gravity gun should be when you want to use the swing effect. Sorry if that didn't come across well.

14. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I looked at the video again and see what you mean.

You want to pay attention to when the video pauses because that is when it shows you the small details in using the gravity gun!

15. Alley Labs

Cool, thanks, PureSkill! I added some annotations during those stop-frame moments to clarify them and explain a couple additional things. Hope they help!

16. PureSkill

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Your Welcome, and the annotations help a lot! It is more like a fluid video rather than seemingly random pauses.

17. dyepbr

dyepbr Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Congrats to you guys.

I have to say this is the best top down shooter I have ever played (and I own quite of few of them). The controls are very responsive. Gameplay is immaculate---there is something extremely satisfying about collecting rings. I love the no load time, the autopause, the music, the pick up and play aspect, and the survival mode.

I think that it is the perfect medium in between Isotope, which can be a little too much with all abilities and modules, and something like Splat, which is simple but is starving for more depth in gameplay.

Job well done.

18. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Humm very interested. Looks fantastic. :eek:

19. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I still can't get the gravity gun swing move to work, though I took only a brief look at the video concerning that.

One feature that I'd like to see in an update would be a "disable bomb button" setting that prevents bombs from going off accidentally while trying to use the gravity gun.

Regarding crashing...I did have the game crash during my highest arcade run, but luckily it had autosaved, which had not occurred the first couple times the app exited to the dock. I was playing in one sitting (30-40 minutes) and finally ended the game deliberately with a couple lives left in order to have a chance to submit my high score before the app could crash again.

In future attempts, I'll try exiting the app every half million points or so, as was recommended above. Now I have to figure out how to use boost without screwing everything else up.

20. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Although I usually check myself before buying games so highly recommended, I'm glad I took the plunge here. Having played a bunch of other dual-stick shooters, Meteor Blitz just nailed it perfectly. I thought PewPew (which is free, amazingly) got the dual-stick controls down really well, and I'm sure there are others, but Meteor Blitz is near-on perfect.

My one tiny suggestion, take it or leave it, is that if I choose to use shake-to-bomb (which I have no problem with), it would be nice that instead of double-tapping the right stick to use the gravity gun, I could use the blue section underneath the right-stick (currently reserved for bombs) as the gravity gun selector, seeing as I've already selected shake-to-bomb.

Does anyone else think this would be a useful option? Maybe I'm just not good at the game yet and need more practice double-tapping, but I thought it could make a good option, seeing as that area of the screen becomes redundant if you've already decided shake-to-bomb is your thing!