Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    What kind of stuff do you listen to nowadays, then? :>

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #5482 Somerandomdude, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Anyone still use this thread at all? I've been getting into a lot of different shit lately so I figured I'd check here

Oh and btw I guess this means I'm back if anyone still remembers me

Oh, and with my return I'll bring one of the best damn songs I've heard all year... Not sure if anyone else has heard of/listened to these guys, but you absolutely need to:

I've been going through the whole album since it just leaked and good god is it amazing

3. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    CFTG is a great band, lots of killer releases this year.

4. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Holy wars, did not know that there was a metal thread! (notice the Megadeth reference)

I've been moving on to Death and Slipknot (they have SOME great songs, SOME) and they're both pretty awesome because I'm fed with thrash.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Have you seen Megadeth play Oceraux? I saw them after Holy Wars, they played New World Order before it was recorded, live version killed any version I've heard since.

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Wow, hey! Long time no see.
    How've you been?
    (also, that song was pretty interesting instrumentally, but you may remember my opinion of -coreish vocals :D)

Aanyway, I haven't been listening to as much metal lately as before, mostly because of the other stuff I've discovered. Still, great to see some new folks around here after over a year.

7. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    #5487 Oceraux, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    Not really, but I'd wish to.

Dave's voice is really getting back to kinda normal, and his headbanging is only present in Holy Wars, watch them.

And also referring to my previous statement that Slipknot has some great songs, those songs actually taught me how to windmill headbang and not hurt my neck, headbanging straight actually hurts.

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    He was pretty hard out during So far, So Good, So What, speaking only from memory but check out their cover of Anarchy

9. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    No need to tell bro, no need. I don't have Megamerch, any band signed instruments, or lots of concerts, I'm a big fan myself.

They were the first metal band I've been crazy about, though not the first metal song I've heard (I think its the scream from Down With the Sickness). I was getting heavier and heavier talking about taste of music, it was kinda like this MJ > GNR > Maroon 5 > GNR + Maroon 5 > then there's this indie online game, Bandmaster, very similar to Guitar Hero, I saw a level 11 song called "Megadeth - Tornado of Souls", and their sample is somewhere from the awesome riff part, then I played and played it, thing was I couldn't hit the notes right. Then searched the song on YouTube, then I was like "Dang, I could headbang to this forever", searched Top 10's of Megadeth then bought albums. I have all of their albums on iTunes. So on, I've started reading and reading things I don't know about Megadeth so I won't sound like a complete fag like "Dude that drummer is awesome" instead of "Dude Nick is a god". That's it, I bothered to type it because I've always wanted to share my story of how I became a metalhead. Nah, *put curse here* those Maroon 5's, I'm here for *check my signature*.

That's kinda dramatic but, yeah.. That's it. Would like to see other "How I Met Metal" stories (yeah its a reference get over it). I love this thread <3 <3

10. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    #5490 Somerandomdude, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Shit it's been a while... And I'm pretty good, just been playing GTA V basically nonstop, you?

And I get you on that... I personally love all sorts of vocals (except maybe like 99% of slam/grindcore), but the instrumentation's what really got me with CFTG. Totally ordering that album tomorrow

Alright though, I'm gonna drop a few tracks I've been into lately.

11. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Anyone like Slipknot?

I thought it is a pretty awesome band at all

12. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Considering I own and have played through their discography many times, especially Vol. 3, that's a pretty damn big yes.

Btw, anyone else digging the new Aversions Crown shit as much as I am? I've been jamming Overseer and Hollow Planet so much lately.

13. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Phew, thought you'd say "LOL they have so many members they suck lol"

14. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Good God no, each one of their members actually contributes to their sound so I'd never complain about that. Honestly, it doesn't matter how many damn members there are as long as it sounds good.

And on that note, time for today's jam:

Anyone got any little known bands for me btw? I used to love scrolling through Youtube related videos for shit like that, but I just never get around to it anymore.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Took me about six years to view Vol 3 as anything other than a load of weak ass crap. The vocal layering is total boyband stuff and those slow songs sounded like Stone Sour taking over Corey's priorities. It grew on me though, and it's still a thousand times better than All Hope Is Gone.

16. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Dude at least its does not sound completely boy band stuff, there are rough edges on Corey's soft vocals.. And also they are not totally "weak ass crap", its just maybe the feeling of another metal genre, Alt. metal..

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I dunno what you heard, but layered vocals are exactly what boybands and lazy pop singers do. It doesn't suit Slipknot at all and sounds way too overproduced. Actually it doesn't just sound it, it IS overproduced, because it's practically impossible to have two Coreys singing at once in a live show.

Anyway, the album is a grower. Used to be their worst, now it's their second worst.

18. Oceraux

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Yyyyyyyyep.

They're still pretty heavy though, with the aid of crazy drumming of Joey and the awesome riffs..

19. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    There was almost a soap opera thread as well.
    But this has been here.

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I personally liked the use of that... Added a bit of a darker tone to the album than angry one like the 2 before it, and it's something I came to enjoy. It may have been layered and all, but I honestly thought the writing was a step up from previous albums. Personally it's my favorite Slipknot album due to the style and just overall sound it has, but I can see why someone wouldn't like it as much. It took a bit to grow on me compared to the first 2, but after it did it's easily been my favorite.

Btw, anyone check out anything I've been posting so far?