Universal Metal Slug Defense (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2014.

1. Skitarii

Skitarii Well-Known Member

May 7, 2014
    #101 Skitarii, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Very informative thread, thanks to all who contributed. I posted the link on the official Metal Slug facebook page, hopefully it'll get the dev's attention and maybe feedback as the facebook icon in the game leads to the official fan page.

The game seems to have a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to updates that put in Mars People, Venusians, the Ptolemaic Army, Future Rebels, and the rest of the Regular Army cast from Metal Slug 5, 6, XX, and the Advance and mobile games. I mean, we still have yet to see dropshot, iron lizard, super grenade, and other weapons.

2. ottbot

ottbot Well-Known Member

#102 ottbot, May 7, 2014
    I stumble upon this tip about freeing POW and it mentions that the POW are actually found in the stage? I personally never noticed this and recently rescued one without finding any in the stage...:

"How do I rescue P.O.W.s in Metal Slug Defense?

Rescuing P.O.W.s is a great way to earn extra medals and other bonuses for use in your camp. When a stage begins, assign a couple of soldiers out of the gate, then take a look around the stage for hidden P.O.W. guys. They're usually tied up and stationary, and easy to spot. Send a soldier to free him and you'll reap the rewards once the stage ends."

Source: Modojo Metal Slug Defense link

3. limit2000

limit2000 Member

May 6, 2014
    #103 limit2000, May 7, 2014
    Tank strategy can be rushed by someone who use arabian fighter+Tarma and Ostrich. Another question, what is the maximum HP of your Units (Lv20)?

4. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    Now you understand why most of these games set you up against a "virtual" opponent in multiplayer. It's not as satisfying, but there's no disconnections to worry about and their support staff doesn't get flooded with e-mails about the problem to the point where they just ignore it.

As for a 'guaranteed' way to get POWs, I don't believe it exists. I did an experiment on one stage where I followed the exact same pattern - two boosts followed by alternating Shield and Gatling troopers for the entire level. Ended up with zero, one, zero, zero and two POWs in the five tries it took me to get all three POWs.

There might be ways of playing that will improve your "random die roll," but nothing can really be confirmed other than your odds of success are a lot higher in the earlier stages and decrease the further along you get.

5. Skitarii

Skitarii Well-Known Member

May 7, 2014

The official facebook page said it's wrong and announced that pows are freed at random. Also, axemen? What???

6. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    My below tip on POW doesn't seem to work in harder levels, sometimes spamming all units specials maybe helps?
    Interesting observation: mars people (the aliens with the laser) their bullets seek targets and at end of a stage they travel towards the air sometimes as if a hidden POW is up there like in the side scroller Metal Slug game, not sure but it is interesting. Then same stage with all POW freed it doesn't do that at end!

7. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

I have a question about single player. When you free all the POWs in an area, does that perk effect you across the stages? Basically is it a permanent buff or juts for that region?

8. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Permanent and global, not just that region.
    You only need one POW of each level to get the effect. Effect gets better though if you free all POWs of a region.

9. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    So, guys, is there any counter to those players who just save up AP and spam tanks / Allen / Morden / Giant AOE Laser Bot / Air Strikes? I've been trying to rush with smaller units such as the small-ish tanks and the three Metal Slugs (all level 20, mind you), but I always lose ground as soon as the first Giant AOE Laser Robot pops out and murders everyone. I'm still quite a ways to completing World 2, but... I don't want to think that the only counter to giant tanks is giant tanks, and I certainly don't need to give the average player more reasons to disconnect against me.

10. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #110 ChaosProdigy, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Below Limit2000 said "Tank strategy can be rushed by someone who use arabian fighter+Tarma and Ostrich. Another question, what is the maximum HP of your Units (Lv20)?"

Haven't tried his strat yet as missing Ostrich but Ill let u know
    The one weakness of Big expensive units is when you kill one u get a big chunk of AP, make sure u max POW and base AP on kill to buff the gains as much as possible. I also found the Mummy Generator very good if u can spawn 1-3+

11. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    That reminds me, how would you rate the Generator units? As in Crab Generator vs. 3-Ton Utility Truck vs. Mummy Generator?

I have the Crab and Truck ones. The Crab Generator spawns the Chowmein Crabs and the Truck spawns Arabian Fighters. I currently prefer the Crab one since they can attack at range with their special attack, but I don't know anything about those Mummies.

12. limit2000

limit2000 Member

May 6, 2014
    #112 limit2000, May 8, 2014
    In short map, rush strategy has a high successful rate. (You need Gold sv001,drill slug to support the small characters)
    However, in long map, the rush will be stopped by the yeti unit and Abul Abbas easily.
    ======================
    Ostrich: It is a future daily bonus. You can obtain it by setting the clock

13. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #113 ChaosProdigy, May 8, 2014
    Mummies are awesome, probablly the best in PVP. Problem with Truck/Arabian is the arabians are too weak and they usually die without doing any damage to enemy in PVP. The other reason Truck/Arabian are weak in PVP is they feed AP to enemy as each time enemy kills one of your units they get some AP, that would be ok if enemy is getting more energy than they can spend. Crab spawns too slowly IMO and the generator is often killed before u get even one crab. Reason mummy is superior INO is it's special is very long range and hits everything in it's way and they are tanky.

14. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #114 ChaosProdigy, May 8, 2014
    There is too many units to list all their HP

Perhaps ask me a specific few units HP at lvl 20 and ill share those. I got everything unlocked except Hopper Mecha

15. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    #115 Emuchu, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Hey, Chaos.

I sent you a GC request!

Anyhoo, I'm trying to construct a rush deck favoring smaller units, based on that comment before about Arabian Fighter+Ostrich. I really detest those "cram in all the expensive guys" decks.

I swapped out Arabian Fighter for Fattish Zombie (as it's tankier and can attack at range for the same AP), and stuffed it full of unit spawning:

Fattish Zombie
    Mars People / Tarma
    SV Camel
    Ostrich Slug
    Drill Slug
    3-Ton Utility Truck
    Mummy Generator
    Crab Nest
    SV-001 Type-R
    Slug Gunner

It's a work in progress. I can usually get a tank player down to half health before he has the resources to stop it... Then I lose. Any ideas? I'm debating whether this deck needs a few heavies, or an even more lopsided emphasis in the early game.

16. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    I unlocked all the units except missing the daily log in Ostrich and War Elephant.

If anyone has any questions ask away, i got quite a few up to max lvl 20

17. Emuchu

Emuchu Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    #117 Emuchu, May 9, 2014
    I guess the major question is: which additional units are worth getting? I still lack a few vehicles, and some of the weird units like Sasquatch, Maneater Plant, and the exploding red bug thing.

The thing that makes unit choice difficult for me is that they don't give any sort of attack rating, so I can only guess at their power.

EDIT: Trying a new rush strategy:

3-Ton Utility Truck
    Mummy Generator
    Fattish Zombie
    Mars People
    Ostrich Slug
    Drill Slug
    Zombie Marco
    SV-001 Type-R
    Slug Gunner
    Donald Mordan

Spam AP upgrades until around 5, then place the truck, mummies, and violently spam units and powers as aggressively as possible in an attempt to destroy their base. Zombie Marco is good for this due to his piercing full-screen Special. If I'm a little off of a win, stall with heavier units and try to finish with Morden's Air Strike special. This may be improvable by adding more low-AP screen-piercing specials if I can find them, and by adding better high-AP walls. Works about 40% of the time, haha.

18. limit2000

limit2000 Member

May 6, 2014
    #118 limit2000, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Arabian Fighter has an extremely high damage output which the zombie doesn't have. To make a rush effective, you only need 1~2 arabian fighters (at 40AP speed up stage). Support them with Tarma, Ostrich, Yeti. Those units have a strong special attack. If your enemy keeps spamming soldiers and rebel soldiers or some weak units, you should use Fio instead of Yeti to knock them down.

====EDIT====
    Opinions about your deck:
    1)Crab Nest, 3-Ton Utility Truck is not useful in both tank and rush strategy. If you want to spam units you can simply use soldiers+rebel soldiers and support them with zombie Marco.

2)Slug Gunner has high HP, but its AP cost is also high and its push back distance is too long. It is also found that its attack power and special attack is similar to sv 001/ sv 001 type R. You should use sv001 instead of this unit.

3)In late game, you usually need IRON Nokana, Allen o neil to support your small units.

19. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #119 ChaosProdigy, May 9, 2014
    The probelm with current game balance is that low health fast spawn units die too quick to big enemy units like Jupiter King and die without doing much damage. The enemy gets steady AP every time they kill your fast spawning units. If they lower attack rate of heavier units and offer a bigger AP bonus for killing big units it would go a long way to balance the game. Right now PVP is fundamentally flawed where I personally just give up on it until it is patched: either opponents run when they see your deck or opponents run before they lose. The most frustrating thing ever because there is so much wasted time it is unreal.

The one unit I personally love is Slug Gunner, it's damage; health both are great, damage excwllent and he jumps back if hit too much which helps him dodge quite a bit of damage.

20. kalkara

kalkara Member

Mar 12, 2014
    #120 kalkara, May 9, 2014
    Unfortunately in this game a rush will never kill in time before heavies come out, this is probably because of the amount of hp a base could have and the ap gains. If pows didmt affect pvp them you could use a rush.

Nevertheless the only way I have beaten heavies without resorting to them myself is by deathballing my mid tier units. Deploying all three sv tanks and a sv gunner, Saving the special for that jupiter king you know is about to come out. Shoe and korm for the final nail in the coffin.

My problem now is I am finding hackers who deploy Jupiter King and Zombie Marco as soon as game starts. Luckily most times they desync immediately after or i can just quit.