Universal Metal Slug Defense (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2014.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Anybody else having issues with getting silver medals? You get them from playing online, but when it says that I won X amount of medals, I don't actually receive them. I got the initial 10 medals for playing my first online match, but that's it. I'm still digging the game though.

2. KillerSpecialK

KillerSpecialK Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    That's the way it is for me. Only played 2 games after and still says I have 10.

I am also loving the game though.

3. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    My favorite this week.

4. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    #24 Laire, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    The game needs a bit of a "balance patch," or at least something to encourage me NOT to spam Mission 1-1 this whole weekend and throw all the MSP into maxxing out all my Home Customize options.

Mission 1-1 may not be the most efficient in terms of gains, but you literally just start the stage, tap on Double Speed, summon three generic soldiers (without even boosting your AP rate) and you're done. 15 seconds from Mission Start to Mission Complete. 5 Energy for 800 automatic MSP (+80 per point put into MSP Gain Level).

Once Sortie Level and MSP Gain Level are both at Level 10 (which can be done in an afternoon), you can earn 57,760 MSP from a full tank of energy. IAP try to charge you 290 Medals for 40,000 MSP. Heh.

If they changed a few of the early missions to have base MSP rewards of only 100 (with a first time completion bonus of several thousand MSP for beginning players), it'd keep the game from potentially turning into an "MSP Arms Race" where you're not even really PLAYING the game. At the very least, you'd have to interact with the stage a little more. :)

I think the game has potential, but I'm too much of a max/minner to not abuse that.
    As a Freemium player, I'd just get torn apart in PvP otherwise.

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea, I've noticed the same thing because I've been playing the same stages over and over to get all the POWs and by the time you get all of them for that stage, your pretty much stacked with MSP. I have a handful of sorties maxed out, but it's still tough on PVP. There's ALWAYS people one step ahead of you. Lol

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So how exactly do you save POWs? Is it time based, or something else?

7. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    As far as I can tell its luck based. I pretty much just play the match over and over until I've freed the POWs. It seems like about a 4 match average per POW. It kind of stretches out the game also. I've been playing quite a bit and I'm only at the 6th section now, but I have all the POWs for the first 4 sections and I'm working on the 5th now. So far it hasn't made a HUGE difference getting them all, but it's noticeable. I guess you could always burn through the game and go back to get all the POWs after.....but yea, lol, to answer your question, it's all luck.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Righty-o, thank you for that! =oD

I'm only in 'world' 2. I got all the POWs in the first world, and did notice a slight increase in AP gain speed. I'm sure by the end of the game all the extra POW bonuses will add up & make a decent difference. Anyway... Back to the game!! =oD

Thanks again!

9. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    This game is pretty fun. I've stopped playing these castle defense games for a while. I wonder if I'm enjoying it because of the metal gear theme. Maybe if it were all swapped out with some made up generic palette I wouldn't care as much?

10. KillerSpecialK

KillerSpecialK Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Midwest
    Metal Slug you mean. If there was a Metal Gear game like this, oh my god! I'd buy all the IAP!

That being said, I think the Metal Slug skin def made me download and try it. Then I saw a free game that ha yet to require an IAP and I fell in love. Plus it's Metal Slug, so it's already pretty awesome.

11. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Awesome game! Spent $50 to support further development on it.

Does freeing all POW on a map give the buff in solo only? On that map only or is it benefit to Online PVP also?

12. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #32 ChaosProdigy, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    You don't need to spend any IAP, what are you talking about? You can play completely IAP free and access all content...

First you get medals by doing PVP and can unlock new units this way (all of them)
    And second, you cn play the campaign for cash currency used to update your base and units (fully)
    There is no pay wall.
    There is however a difficulty increase past mission 8-9 so you need better upgraded units and base but it is a genious drsign because you can just play the game to get it all upgraded.

There is over 60 total units to get so there is a ton of content...

13. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Any tips for beating Stage 9, mission 2? Vs the zombie horde nothing I do can stop them lol

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I finally figured out how to earn medals, but does anybody else have connection problems while playing PVP? I know I've noticed with some people that as soon as they start losing, they will exit out of the game and there is no penalty, so you end up getting screwed. I'm still loving the game.

15. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Sometimes u are matched vs noobs it's true but some players care about their win/loss record. Truly pitiful they disconnect rather than take the loss lol

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Ugh! It drives me crazy!! I played 5 PVP matches earlier today and out of the 5 matches, 4 mysteriously were "disconnected" as soon as I started hitting my opponents base. Lol. I'll take the loss. I don't care cuz I still get points that go toward getting medals, but if it gets "disconnected" mid-match, you get nothing. Hopefully I just had a string of bad luck earlier. Lol

17. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #37 ChaosProdigy, May 3, 2014
    Hopefully SNK is watching this thread and they can patch it so disconnects count as a loss and the remaining player wins points and the win.

Aside from that I find it a bit hard to tell which lvl is done and which isn't yet.
    A way to hide some units in the unit leveling up screen and deck building screen would be good and also show us the damage stat of units.

18. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    #38 Laire, May 3, 2014
    From the sound of it, a Disconnect would need to count as a "non-game" for the disconnector instead of a loss. Otherwise it might inspire a rash of medal farmers who would start games and immediately disconnect just because they could earn the medals for losing that much faster.

(Not sure if that's how it works, I've been avoiding Ranked PVP until I maxxed out my home base. I haven't even gone far enough to unlock the generic tank yet!)

[EDIT] As you said above, it looks like BOTH sides currently get nothing for a disconnect. The question is whether they can patch it to "know" which player caused the disconnect or if that's information through Game Center and the app wouldn't see it.

19. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #39 ChaosProdigy, May 3, 2014
    I beat the first continent so
    here is some tips guys: I did my best to hide the spoilers, just hover over the text if you want to read it all.

-Save your MSP (in game currency) and try to prioritize the following:

1. Under the main menu there is a "customize" tab, find the "Home (Customize)" sub tab and make sure to maximize ASAP your Sortie Level and MSP Gain Level. These will make sure you can get more MSP every day and can progress further at a time. (in case anyone is curious Sortie - it means "an attack made by troops coming out from a position of defense." so basically "attack") -(of course when that is done max the AP gain, Troops re spawn speed etc)

2. Mission 11,
    free all the POW to increase your Sortie level further, I am personally approaching 300 max Sortie! You can further expand your sortie as you beat the first map, you will gain access to the 2nd map which also has all the POW bonuses as well as some unique unlocks, so doing mission 11 again on map 2 will also increase your Sortie max level!
    3. Make sure you max your favorite troops level and unlock as many POW missions bonuses as you can. It seems they are all global and stack-able so even in online multiplayer you get some benefit. It seems some missions are nearly impossible unless you have a decent amount of upgrades for your base, troops and POW unlocks.

By beating the first map (finish all the levels - you can skip the boss levels) and finishing the "final" stage
    - the reward is 100 medals.

4b. Speaking of medals, make sure you only use medals to purchase new units and if you must spend medals to get progression, wait until you have max sortie and max MSP
    level and have received the Mission 11 POW sortie bonus and then
    your best bang for the buck is to spend all your Sortie then pay 30 medals to refill it fully. IF you happen to have 300+ sortie max you will be able to refill all of it for just 30 medals so it is useful if you are trying to rush content. (I dont recommend you spend any medals on anything other than units, there are many, many units and the cost does add up so save as many medals as you can. You get medals from achievements, PVP and finishing certain stages.)

4c. Some math wisdom for you guys: a random mission that costs about 5 Sortie can reward for example about 2,000 MSP. Once you have 300 ish Sortie max, that means you could make about 120,000 MSP per full sortie! If you spend $20 in game money to buy 690 MSP for example, then trade those 690 Medals for MSP you would only get 100,000 MSP. HOWEVER, following the above math example if you spent 30 Medals to get max Sortie, that would mean that for 690 medals only spent to replenish Sortie you could manually grind out a whopping 2,760,000 MSP!! Do NOT be a dunce and spend any medals actually buying MSP, your by far best bang for your medals / MSP / Progression is only replenishing your max sortie for 30 medals at a time.

5. If you are stuck on a particular stage try different troops setup. The start is very very important on many maps, for example many maps allow me to level up my energy gain at 40, 80 then by the time I hit 80 I must quickly throw down a Sandbag (by the way SANDBAG is very important in my view), then put some ranged units behind sandbag and abuse their special shots to kill whatever is swarming you. IT helps if you can get some 270+ cost units that have high HP to act as shields for your ranged units.

6. In my view one of the best units in the game aside from Sandbag
    is "Tar Man" which is the Zombie you unlock at end of zombie stage. He is produced at : SLow rate and at lvl 10 gives you 1800 hp and costs 160 AP. The reason he is so good is that his ranged attack hits a very big area and hits for many times. The other unit I really like is the "Zombie Fattish Man" which does a slow rate of fire ranged attack but he is fast unit production and costs only 60 AP while giving 1200 HP. Very good unit overall as both a tank and a ranged poker.
    7. Online it is really hard to find an opponent that is close to your strength. A good tip is to try to micromanage your troops so they get their special attacks off before they die. This can go a long way towards winning. Also if you possibly can, always upgrade your AP income but do not go overboard. Always know how much AP income your deck lodout can benefit most from - you never want to have a ton of energy and not enough units available to summon. Be careful if you see a player who has a few high cost units. Sometimes those players will let you get close to their base with your massed army then summon some nasty AOE tough enemies to destroy all your troops and turn the tides against you. Play PVP for fun and hope SNK can tweak the matchmaking system a bit. Right now there isn't enough reward for PVP and many players like to disconnect before they lose which results in them escaping from a "loss" score and the winning player gets no reward either. It is truly a glaring flaw in the game. If there was more of a competitive element with more and varying rewards and disconnected players lose the game it would go a long way to making sure there is a stable and competitive end game .

Hope the above helps the new guys!

20. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Exactly. I could care less about how many losses I have. Yea, of course I want more wins than losses. Lol, but expecially how long it takes to get a match going, then the time for the match itself, I want SOMETHING for my time! Lol.

I haven't played a whole lot of PVP matches. I'm still trying to get all the POWs and work my way through the campaign. I know I just got 15 medals for beating the 8th world, so you do get a few medals to buy stuff here and there. The game is actually pretty generous when it comes to content. I haven't felt the need to buy any IAP at all yet. I'm still pretty happy with the game. I know it's definitely my GOTW.