Universal METAL SLUG 3 - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, this is probably one of the best ports I've seen on iOS to date. So many perks thrown in, especially iCade support... <3

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    The sprite work is some of the best in the business and it looks beautiful on the iTouch 4G, the iPad 2, and the iPad 3. Just had an epic Bluetooth session with my son. So good. I'm kicking myself for passing up on that Bed Bath and Beyond iCade deal a while back!

3. weehomer

weehomer Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    North of Ohio
    Sure hope this is better than that crappy METAL SLUG TOUCH......

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Can someone please explain this? Is Retina an 'option' with this game or something?

5. podzilla

podzilla Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    #85 podzilla, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    It is much, much better than metal slug touch. The controls might still be an issue for some people. They're fine by me. I was never great at Metal Slug, but I seem to be doing just as well as I used to with physical controls. Also, all the extra content and the fact that it's universal make it worthwhile for me. I'm having a ton of fun playing.

btw I just reloaded MS touch on to my iPod to compare. Oooooh boy. The controls are really bad, they added a Dpad in an update, I think, but it was originally tilt to move, you can't get out of the vehicle, just not good. I think they pulled it from the app store.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Your post earlier in the thread lead me to believe you already have the game and you were complaining about the fact that everything's retina enabled in the game except for the actual game itself. Your other posts though...you didn't buy the game yet, did you? :p

Retina isn't an option per se, it's just that there's a filter that's enabled by default that makes everything "smooth", rather than seeing every single pixel by pixel. If you turn off video filtering...hell, the graphics are so gorgeously sharp, you can make out every single individual pixel on screen.

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I am complaining that everything but the game would be Retina because it looks ridiculous. And no I do not own the game, but I suppose that makes me not as cool as people who buy it right away. But thanks for the clarification, I am not familiar with video filtering, as that was really my main question.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #88 metalcasket, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    Didn't imply that.

Yeah, no...don't worry, the whole game has retina graphics. Unless of course you prefer a more smoothed-out look like in the App Store screenshots...which is an option. ;)

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah, the pics on iTunes should be changed.

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Well I'm glad that my perception of your implication was in fact an incorrect application of, um, wait... nevermind :D

My point being is that it is so difficult sometimes to figure out the exact specs of games (Retina, partly Retina, etc) especially for games that are ports like this one. All the intro/select screens are obviously Retina, but the game does not look it at all. And it isn't listed in the game description either. I just like to know what I am buying.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, makes sense.

I initially thought this was going to be like Shantae, where everything but the game was retina enabled, and I guess I didn't really have a problem with it considering this a port and all. I started up the game and didn't mind what I saw, but my jaw dropped when I messed around with the video settings to find out the actual game had retina graphics too.

There's seriously quite a bit of effort put into this port, and it makes me wish more developers would follow suit. I never really had a problem with Capcom's iOS port of Mega Man X...until now. :p

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Can you possibly post screen shots of the video processing on and off? I'd love to see the difference.

13. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    @DotEmu
    The iCade implementation is somewhat buggy as many in this thread reported. Maybe you can look into this. I just tried again and while the iCade seems to be recognized (no onscreen controls) you cannot move. I repeatedly closed the app, deleted it from mulitasking and after a while, for some unknown reason it starts to work. So sometimes it works ok, often it does not. There are a lot of others in this thread reporting similar problems.

The iCade support is this the selling point for me for this game and it woud be great if you could look into this issue as this is an awesome port of this game besides this problem.

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    so i am the only one who thinks that fingers block a lot of action, or everyone just plays with icade or other controllers? i mean take many ios arcades and they have the same touch controls, but usually all action takes place a bit higher so it does not block all stuff.

15. KEVINMS14

KEVINMS14 Member

May 15, 2012
    Meh, give me metal slug anthology for $15 and tou have an instant buy, why $7 or only ms3? I'll pass. Wasnt there an ios specific metal slug on the app store? I remember I almost bought it too lol

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah some parts of levels its a pain with my finger blocking the action, ideally we'll get an update where you can 'move' the main gameplay screen up a fraction or something or zoom out a bit.

Hope its a success though as i would love to see more apps from SNK

17. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    I have the new iPad so no problem. Yeah I see what you mean though, I tried it on my phone and was blocking it with my finger. Hopefully they give us an update addressing this and iCloud support.

18. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    This

19. coderedfilm

coderedfilm New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    ICade support non existent

Seems like some of you are able to get the iCade to work with minimal to few issues, but I've tried everything and it does not work for me. I don't even want to touch this game until its working right. this game would be flawless with the iCade support working properly. PLEASE FIX!!

20. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    thanks for responses guys, so maybe devs could improve the playability by making the play area adjustable. actually the game is really fun, i suppose with controllers even more.