Universal METAL SLUG 3 - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Fantastic. :)

2. NPGames

NPGames Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Paris
    Awesome! Maybe we could get a Metal Slug Trilogy after that, please!!!

3. Furtin

Furtin Member

May 12, 2011
    Photographer
    Germany
    No iCade support?

Just in case, that I couldn't figure it out, but how can I get it to work on my iCade? I've tried everything but there is not even an option to select it?

But for everything else: thank you Dot Emu, looks great on the iPad!

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really ? I've got my icade on, i'm playing the game and the icade buttons do nothing.

5. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    #65 MarkHerm, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    iCade is working for me but I struggled a bit with it. At first, the on screen controls faded but the iCade controls did not work even though it was properly paired (I tried it with another game).

Then I quit the game, deleted it from the multitask bar and tried again. Now iCade controls worked flawlessly. We'll see what happens next time... Maybe there is a bug with the iCade support??!

BTW, iCade support made me buy this game. Thanks for implementing!

6. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    Yeah your right. I bought it. Wow. I like it a lot.

7. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    ICloud support please. Other than that, thank you for bringing this to the iOS. The best part is that there is no IAP crap, thank you;)

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think theres a bug for sure. I played a few other icade games, worked perfectly, tried it with Metal Slug, nothing.

9. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    When I enable video filtering. The retina display is better than when I disable it

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I know this is an arcade game but I wish auto fire was an option.

11. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    On mission mode if you finish one mission, does this unlock the next one, or this is happening only through arcade mode?

12. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Great Port!

I am really loving this with the iCade Mobile, thanks so much for including this perk!! I'm tempted to post a video of this in action with iCade Mobile.

I have to say, I prefer playing this version over iFBA emulator version (I have both) for a few reasons:

1) Dip switches are already set for BLOOD ON
    2) Faster loading
    3) Video filtering can be turned off in the settings for TRUE PIXEL GLORY!

Number 3 is a huge plus for me, as iFBA still has soft edges on it's pixel rendering even when you turn linear filtering off. I don't care for simulated scan lines (CRT), I love pixels exactly as the devs saw them when they created them so many years ago.

Great work!

13. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok ya. Jts pretty daunting killing the big crab crap with the boat on his back while always having to turn around to shoot him and having him slam his claws down on me.

14. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Thats a fun boss!

The easiest way to beat that boss is to set your focus on maneuvering the jumping vehicle so that you're just dodging the incoming projectiles and less on what you're hitting. If you notice, the vehicle will shoot to the left as you move right, and its shooting in a ">" pattern, so you're going to hit something no matter what. Make sure to use all of its bombs as well (grenade button).

If you lose the vehicle, make sure to expend all your grenades each time you die. Also, stay far right to pick up more ammo from the passing PoW. You'll have to jump back on to the platform after collecting it, however, as you'll fall off the collapsing bridge as you grab it.

15. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    If you take the submarine route (earlier in the level) and survive the underwater mayheim when you come back to surface your given a machine (similar to Ripley's in Aliens final battle) that makes killing the Giant Crab a breeze.

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    there are very noticeable slowdowns on my iphone. also i know it's not the port but because most of the time the whole action is at the bottom of the screen it might be good to level the whole thing up or lets say give possibility to change the size of play area like in cave games for example. otherwise fingers block a lot of stuff. also there is slight input delays what makes some moves a bit complicated, but i dont know if it's port or original game. so it looks like it's good game but it's kind of lazy port because the performance, i should say that, sucks.

17. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    MetalSlug is notorious for slowdown, even on real NeoGeo hardware.

One thing iFBA does, which is nice, is that it allows the video to be scaled down so that your thumbs don't cover up the play field. I've noticed that the Appstore version of MS3 allows you to revert to 4:3 display in the settings menu. That will help some, but if the Dev includes a mode which reduces the size to basically the game's original resolution, you'll definitely recover a lot of space for your fingers and avoid covering up anything vital.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well i never played this game so i did not know that, but just performance is really meh and sound emulation is not that great too. and yeah that stuff with the size would be great, or something like that.

19. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    That explains why you're a little underwhelmed with what you're seeing and hearing. The hardware this came out on was well past it's prime, so the fact they pulled this off was back then was amazing in itself. As for the sound, its exactly what you hear in the arcade version, which by today's standards may sound a little "tinny" to you, since most everything on the NEOGEO was just sound samples anyway.

20. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Brilliant game! Glorious scanlines (50%) and no video filtering for uber Retina win. Plus it's Universal with local Bluetooth multiplayer...holy smokes.

30 achievements, unlockable art, and video replays. Good grief I sound like a shill. get this!