Universal METAL SLUG 3 - (by SNK PLAYMORE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks for the confirmation on iCade support! :D

Gonna be awesome with iCade mobile, can't wait :)

2. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks, definitely an instabuy then. Cant remember how much money I spent on this game like 15 years ago on campsites and such :D

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Oh man, did this post take me back...:D

Campsites indeed.;)

DBC

4. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    I'll buy after initial reviews. I really want to support snk and their return to the AppStore, but their other MS game was a fluke and a joke. If the controls for this game turn out anything like the last, then im not supporting any of it.

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Really worth it! I absolutely adore metal slug and the port is great. Controls are tight and everything (except the game) is retina display. I just wish the framerate was a bit better in hectic situations but i've always seen the game run like that anyways.

6. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The graphics look really good. I am hesitant to dish out seven bucks for a game - only a few games have I dished out $5-6 (or more) for, so would want to be sure that it is something I really want first.

How many levels are there? Do you play from the beginning each time your continues run out? How many continues do you start with - and how do you get continues?

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    What device are you on?

8. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    This looks like game of the week for me.
    Sorry. Double post

9. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #49 Fafner, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    I'm also in the boat of guys who managed to get imame while it was up.
    I agree emulation is the way to go IF the game can't be obtained Through the app store legally.

I for one am going to get this tonight!
    I've paid way more than 7 bucks for this game before and if we continue to support SNK they'll keep making more games!

Someone else mentioned SNK vs Capcom card fighters! I would love to see that game on iOS!! But not the ds version... Ds version wasn't so good

10. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    Was I love with this game at the arcade. I have an iPhone 4S 64 gig. And was wondering is this game really worth the price??
    Guys please help me here. I am an addict to iphone handing big time but $7.45?? Wow. In Australia it's that price.

11. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Love this version.

Don't understand the frame rate complaints; the original arcade game didn't even run at 60fps, lol.

Played them all when they launched and this is my favorite title in the series, to this day.

If you've never played this classic, you have to do so immediately, I don't care what system you play it on. :)

Recommended.

12. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I probably dumped around 200 australian dollars in the arcade machine over the years when I was young. Yes, its worth the 7 dollars.

13. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This game kicks ass. Easily worth the money. The customizable controls make the gameplay perfect.

Now they need to release Samuri Showdown with online multiplayer.

14. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Ugh, everything but the game itself is Retina. Make the WHOLE game Retina and charge TEN dollars.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #55 metalcasket, Jul 12, 2012
    Disable video filtering if you want retina graphics in-game. >_>

Gotta say...DotEmu have really outdone themselves here. Absolutely flawless port.

EDIT: I don't think the game remembers the video settings when you close the app. Any chance this could be fixed in an update, DotEmu? It's not really that much of a hassle having to change them from the pause menu, but it's still a hassle. :p

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Do you honestly think iOS gaming is for retro fanatics only ? So theres no new original games ? Yes nostalgia sells but believe me as someone whos been lapping up every retro game i find there isnt as much as you think. And yes i thought ports of old games would be quick/easy money but if thats the case why do most companies not bother with their old hits ? Some do but its not as many as you think when i look back to the wealth of games i played in the 80's/90's etc.

Plus if 'old company a' release some retro games and they sell well then they have more money to develop new games.

I didnt mean to 'talk down' to those who wont fork out cash for it. I meant general games, if we all came to iOS gaming 5 years ago and every app was minimum $5 i think we would have still loved it, granted might not get as many games but at $5 per game its great ! But the problem is as theyre soooo cheap its created in my view issues.

Eg so many people here wait for price drops when a game is $2 and they wait for it to drop to a buck ! Amazing ! Worst still people wait for it to be free and then moan months later when another company abandons iOS for Android/Windows etc as they're not making enough money.

The problem is a lot of people expect a 99c game to have 60000 levels, tons of updates and moan when a games dearer or doesnt have so much content. Seen it on various threads over the year. Someone recently complained the 99c game coming out 'only' had 60 levels !

Anyway back to the game, got this at midnight, really enjoying it, wish you could zoom out slightly as sometimes my finger controlling the joystick is sometimes covering the character itself.

Still very happy this is out on iOS though, a nice surprise

17. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #57 SumoSplash, Jul 12, 2012
    So you're saying Retina is an option for this game? Is disabling video filtering in the settings?

18. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thank you for your recommendation.

It's a great game indeed.

19. DotEmu

DotEmu Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment :)
    Yes, we just noticed the bug too which slipped through our QA process.
    We will fix it in upcoming update as soon as possible.

20. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    This game is awesome.