iPad Metal Gear Solid Touch previewed by Xsellize

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Freeway82, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #1 Freeway82, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Metal Gear Solid Touch has been previewed by Xsellize and it is very disappointing. It is like shooting at wallpapers. It would be released in February 26.

http://www.xsellize.com/showthread.php?t=17995

Here are some new images of Konami's Metal Gear Solid Touch for iPhone and iPod Touch, the story is based on MGS4, but the genre is strictly shooting. Producer Yasuyo Watanabe explained that because iPod Touch and iPhone are not game console, so the gameplay should be simplified. The game will have a simple touch shooting interface. You use finger to adjust the target and tab the screen to shoot.

because iPod Touch and iPhone are not game console, so the gameplay should be simplified. Does anybody find this stupid? They made one for cell phones but no iphone. Oh well, i guess the japanese are just talking down on the iphone and not taking it seriously. I mean iphone has Hero of Sparta and BIA but can't handle MGS that was made for cell phones. That is dumb.

Attached Files:

2. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Thats hardly a review, just the same scans from the Japanese gaming mag available before.

Anyway I dont mind shooting beautiful wallpaper ;)

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    If it has the soundtrack of a Metal Gear game it will be worth it to me...

4. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    It's hard to tell what it will be just by looking at some blurry pictures, but considering Metal Gear Solid's track record I am sure it will be fine :p

5. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    Damn it anyway! I was really looking farward to this....
    They say they can't make a real mgs game for iphone
    Becase it isn't a gaming console, and because they aren't
    Going to get thier regular customers who know how to
    Play the game. This is such a cop out so they can make
    A bad game. Of course I'm still going to get it, becase....
    Well...because it's metal gear solid....I have to get it......
    But if it's bad, I gonna do some serious bitching!!!

6. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Perhaps they're just testing out the ipod/iphone audience before committing many hours and $thousands to create a "true" Metal Gear game. That's my hope.

7. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I still think this will be a top dog for our iDevices. This 'preview' really doesn't show us anything about the game, so nothing is lost. :)

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

First off, I'm a fan of the series and have played many of the games (even the NES versions!) and one of my favourite parts to the series was the stealth element to the gameplay, which seems to be non-existent in this version. In fact stealth was always the main gameplay component you had to use - i.e. avoiding enemies using boxes, distracting them with wall taps etc.

In every MGS game i've played, the gameplay was always top notch and innovative. Thats why this is so disappointing. They could've done some really fun and cool stuff with this game, instead they went for a simple tap target shooter and will probably slap a $9.99 price tag on it too! I certainly WON'T be buying this before I see some reviews! Seems like blasphemy to call it MGS really!

9. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    i dont care for this review.

10. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I don't see why everyone is talking about this game like they know how it will play and look like. The screenshots floating around, while clearly depicting some gameplay, has no bearing on what the rest of the game will be like. Surely the game will not be as simple as a point and tap shooter, the stealth elements will work their way in somehow.

11. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I 100% agree with nizy and do not agree with this quote, I bought a ps3 just for mgs 4 and i was not dissapointed, we all know how this game will be, exactly what star war the force unleashed was to the console version, a disgrace to the genre, a disgrace to the iphone, and a disgrace to gamers

12. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    It seems like a Metal Gear Solid themed game of whack-a-mole.

13. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

1. The screenshots clearly depict a simple shooter.
    2. Konami have already stated its no more than that (see here)!
    3. If they were to include stealth elements Kojima himself would not be quoted saying: "The game's development staff initially considered a stealth approach, but decided that this would result in a difficult game to play on trains and in other places where one might play games on their iPhone. They ended up deciding to go with a shooter that you play by touching the screen because it would be easy to pick up."

Its an insult to MGS fans, in my opinion. In fact, its an insult to gamers in general! :mad:

14. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    i think the real problem here is Konami has no idea how to make a MGS game control well.

The one for PSP sucked because the controls where horrible. And the console versions were awesome games but the controls always sucked. So maybe they tried to put controls to walk in this game and they just sucked that much more.

After getting MGS for PSP and being very disappointing I am not sure I would get this game even if you could control your character.

learn how to create good controls Konami, everyone else seems to know how.

that's just my two cents, take it or leave it

15. dag

dag Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Metal Gear Solid would be extremely tough to do on iphone, seeing as heavy stealth and tactics on a 3.5 inch touchscreen would only be possible if you made an oldschool-gameboy style metal gear where it was a top-down view. Unfortunately, that isn't really something that would sell very well, so instead we may be stuck with another game with wasted potential.

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Oh dear lord, I can't BELIEVE how wound up some people are getting over this game. An insult to games?... how exactly? Even if it is just a point and shoot game, it'll still be better than most of whats on the AppStore at the moment... mundane puzzle game, fart app, mundane puzzle game, boring tower defense, ANOTHER mundane puzzle game!

I'm sorry, but to slam a game that no-one here has even seen a video of, let alone played, just seems a little petty in my opinion. The truth is that, despite a couple of truely stellar games on the AppStore, the iPhone is still very early in it's 'gaming' life. Developers are still trying to get used to how games will work on and interface with no immediate buttons... it's all a little alien to them at the moment.

I think Konami has learned their lesson with MGS Portable Ops on the PSP. Sure it 'looked' (and to a certain degree 'played') like Metal Gear, but it was just missing that 'something' which left the experience feeling like it didn't belong on the platform. Thats not to say MGS DOESN'T belong on a portable machine, just that sometimes, games have to be developed to suit the specific platform (I haven't played the MGS Mobile game yet so I can't comment on that one). Give them time, by this time next year, we'll be seeing some A* quality games on the platform. In the meantime though, a lot of the major Devs still view it as a Phone/iPod, that just happens to play games, and as such, thats what they are building their games around, the idea of playing on the train to work.

Personally, I'm actually looking forward to this. If it has enough content and is priced accordingly, then I think a lot of us just might end up surprised.

17. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Thanks for articulating my exact thoughts :eek: :D

18. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England

Yeah, sorry, I know I pretty much just dragged out what you were saying. Still, I think the heavy critisism this game is receiving so far should be put on hold until we have, at the very least, seen a video of it in action.

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Agreed. It takes a video to determine a game's real quality.

20. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Must it be 3D or 3rd Person Shooter? They could have at least opted for a 2D Metal Gear Solid with a D-Pad and decent graphics, just like Splinter Cell games on Gameboy Advance. Why, a freakin' Duck Hunt for God's sake?

With all the power that iPhone has, all they could muster as MGS is an MGS 4 themed Duck Hunt.

A wise man once said, it is better to not do something at all than doing it half way. Nobody pressured them to make the game so they have no excuse for this upcoming failure of a game.
    I hated iPhone Star Wars so much that i almost swore not to buy any EA games anymore except Fight Night and this looks like just another swipe-to-attack game..