Universal Mercenaries Saga2 (by RideonJapan,Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hadin, Nov 3, 2016.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Yeah, Tactics Ogre does just that on PSP. You press a button and suddenly the field becomes top down, making unit selection easier (even with physical controls it can be annoying sometimes).

Mercenaries Saga 2 does have a zoom function though. It doesn't help a whole lot, but it helps a bit.

One tip I can give is to tap right below the tiles instead of tapping in the middle of it. If you want to select units, tap right above their heads.

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm thinking about getting it in the 3ds as I don't think I've heard issues with the controls.

3. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I'm taking the plunge guys. You've convinced me! Ha ha. I'll be back with my thoughts on it later in the week! Thanks for your opinions and insights!

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This game is REALLY good. I'm hitting like 10 hours on it and I can't believe it was originally a cell phone game??

5. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    Hey Lawliet! I see you on almost every game thread I visit! How do you have time to play all these games for as long as you do? You have given great insights on a lot of games that I have looked into...I'm extremely curious!

6. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey! Thanks for the comment!

I honestly don't have much time to play. I have a job but I play games when I get home or right before bed to relax. And I do play nearly all the ones I like but the truth is I don't finish all of them. I play them a lot but I turn them into a collection of "awesome games" instead of collection of "awesome finished games". I wish I could beat them all...

I just like the idea of having all these incredible games right in my pocket that I can play whenever, even if I don't have much time to play them. :eek:

7. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    #47 MintCity, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    I think all of us on TA are plagued with the never-ending backlog of fantastic mobile games!:) Thanks again for your gaming insights and mini reviews. Your taste is extremely similar to mine. It's very convenient and helpful for me. Ha ha.

As for this game...it is fantastic. It's aesthetics are exactly like FFT but has a style of characters/storyline like Fire Emblem. The controls are horrid and make simple turns monotonously long. I'm sure I will get better at using the controls after another hour or two. Well worth 2.99! I actually love the portrait mode. Always a plus in my eyes. It makes me feel like I'm playing a Gameboy like the good old days!:)

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Amen to that brother!
    I have almost 500 games in my purchased list, of which I have finished only about half a dozen.
    And out of those 500 there are probably 100 which I class as fantastic, must play and finish one day premium games.

And so even with that in mind and after reading the positive posts here I have just added this game to the list.
    And I am not disappointed with my purchase.

I don't have as much trouble with the controls as others are reporting. It could probably be improved upon (MFI anyone?) but they are functional and simply takes a while to get used to.

The pixelisation on my iPad Pro big is a bit much but I can put up with it.
    It is actually surprisingly good to play on my iPhone 6.
    I would love to see iCloud saves implemented.

But this is a really good tactical rpg that seems to be a lot less technical than a game like FFT WotL, a game that I struggle with at times.

9. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Can someone explain how a thief's search works? It says it lights up treasure but I have never seen it work. Also, when upgrading it, the cost and scope (not sure what the scope stat is; instructions could use some work) just go up by 1 then down by 1! What is the point of upgrading that skill?

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm glad there's some people out there with similar taste as me :) You'll get used to the controls. Honestly, 10 minutes in I was about "done" with the game after the controls, but it looked so promising I decided to give it a chance. Over 10 hours later it's now one of my favorite iOS games! (I recommend not using the d-pad controls, they seemed helpful at first but it'll get tiring trying to go to a further away tile) I also agree that the portrait mode is pretty nice especially for this type of mobile-centric game.

It should light up a tile but it only works in the area that it shows (right before you confirm usage of the skill). Also it only works in single player, don't bother searching in free play aside from just getting easy skill points for your jobs.

Upgrading is always better but for some skills, it will raise the cost so it'll be stronger but harder to continually use. Scope is the range of the skill, which honestly is my favorite trait. The better range you have, the further you can use your skill away from enemy harm. The max level search should give you a pretty nice scope for the range.

11. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    That makes sense. The confusing part is that there is also a range stat. But range it seems refers to the distance from your character that your skill can be used, and scope refers to the amount of area the skill effects. I wish there was a help page for the stats. I still don't know what STS is. Stasis or status maybe but does that mean resistance to status effects? I have no idea.

You don't happen to have a screenshot of search lighting up a tile do you? I knew it was only for story mode, but I still have yet to see it work.

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #52 Gwarmaxx, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    hey guys, between battles characters are cured and HP and MP are supposedly replenished, in fact both bars are on top, but in the next battle mana bar go down to the minum, so everytime i must remember to buy at least 6 potions and then have to spend the first turn to give them to each character, very annoying...

is it normal or i've found a bug?

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #53 L.Lawliet, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    You are correct. The range is how far you can use the ability and scope is the effective area. STS is status. If you use the ability it will actually say "status" in battle.

I don't have a screen shot but I'm sure you'll be able to see it light up. You can also just walk on tiles and see if the "investigate" option appears. You can also do this without wasting turns since you can cancel your movement before confirming.

Actually it is working correctly. Basically your MP charges a set amount every turn. It's not "replenished" in battle so to speak. The MPR% is the MP regen rate and I'm guessing that is the amount you start with at the beginning of battle. Then as each turn passes, that set amount is filled. The best ways to increase starting MP are to level up MPR% skills and max MP skills. There are also items and classes that increase those stats as well.

14. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #54 Gwarmaxx, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    thanks for the tip Lawliet!

anyway... so maybe between battles stats should mark current MP and not a filled up bar, that's an error imho... and also, why HP is filled, why the different criteria?

15. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Well if they showed your starting MP it would probably be even more confusing to the player. You want to know their full stats as opposed to the stat they'd have only on turn 1. I've seen other RPGS do this but I can't recall their names. This mechanic takes more strategy since you cannot spam all your strongest attacks at the beginning of the level and requires you to either save mp or use weaker spells. It also keeps the value of low mp weaker spells for early battle. If the HP bar wasn't refilled the game would be way too hard forcing you to buy potions between every level!

In any case, hopefully you're enjoying the game like I have!

16. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

yeah, the game is really wonderful and challenging, story, characters, pixel art, music, fast loading times... all i can ask is there!
    i loved FFT back in the days, and this one is the nearest tribute to it.

17. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I can't play this- old device- but how annoying if it has bad controls. Final fantasy tactics port I thought could have better controls, this is where competitors should jump on the opportunity. Yes you tap into the audience which loves FFT, but how about a bigger audience who was not a fan of the official FFT port. At least this has a smaller file size though, one props to them.

18. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

hey thumbs, i'm playing it on my old 4S iOS 7 and works really fine, no crashes, no slowdowns...

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    The controls could be better but I've gotten completely adjusted to them. They aren't perfect but once you play for a bit you won't really notice the issues anymore. They won't ruin the game for me.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    This!