Universal Mercenaries Saga2 (by RideonJapan,Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hadin, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    A very good game

Well I was pleasantly surprised with this game. It actually reminds me of tactics ogre (record of Lodoss war for GBA).
    The only problem that I have and can confirm are the wonky controls.

I don't like the "ghost dpad" because it feels too big and using it feels clunky, so I use the touch option, which is much better. The problem is when I try to select a tile, it often does not recognize that touch.

Here is to hoping the devs quickly fix that.
    Other than that, it feels good.

2. josiath21

josiath21 Member
    Patreon Silver

May 7, 2013

Did you try the zoom in option? Makes the tiles way easier to zero in on!

3. josiath21

josiath21 Member
    Patreon Silver

May 7, 2013
    A couple differences from FFT:
    - Entire teams take turns, as in all your team goes then all the enemies' team goes. Like this!
    - "Ability points" are distributed evenly amongst the entire team, so if your new thief didn't get a change to use his thiefy skills in that last battle he still can grow. Like this!
    - While you do decide your facing, if your action changes your facing it's locked in until his next action or he reacts to an attack. Example: Fighter moves to new location, you choose a south facing, but the enemy he is attacking stands to the east, he attacks to the east, he ends turn facing east. There is no "end of the turn facing selection" like FFT.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #24 L.Lawliet, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    About 3 hours in and I'm really really digging this game. When I don't have a lot of time or don't feel like playing too long, I pick a free battle mode to my choosing, which gives me a good amount of points and experience. I've finally gotten used to the controls of tapping HOWEVER, it oddly has trouble picking up touches on arced tiles / slanted tiles. Not sure why this is. Tried different finger placement and different taps and it's always really bad at sensing it. I wish they would fix it but I don't have my hopes up since it seems like they aren't as active on the mobile scene, though they did patch up ABS up a bit.

I'm too scared to try but does anyone know if your character dying is permanent or are they removed from the current level? And if this applies to free mode or not? I guess I should test it eventually..

Overall, this feels like the casual "pick up and play" FFT that's perfect for mobile. There's even a "save mid-battle" option!

5. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    When a unit dies, they turn into a coffin with a timer. If you use a soul gen before the timer expires, the unit comes back to fight. If the timer expires, the unit simply withdraws.

No permadeath from what I see

6. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    See that there is IAP. Can someone let me know before I get this what those are por favor

7. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    might have to pick this up as FFT is one of my all-time favorite games. seems like all your rpg picks are games that I've enjoyed law. I'm just finishing up witch springs 2 - awesome game. I'm just a little skeptical about clunky controls as that is a pretty important aspect for me. Does the game seem pretty lengthy? Any idea if there are secret dungeons and equip, etc like in FFT? Glad there is a NG+ tho.

8. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    This or 3ds version? Not a fan of the borders and would have preferred full screen on iPhone 7.

9. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh thanks for checking, appreciate that. That does make this a more "friendly" version of FFT. I don't mind it at all. I'm sure some people do enjoy permadeath challenge but I prefer withdrawing better.

Aw thanks! :) Well I'm sure not all of our tastes will align 100% but I'm sure if you like FFT it's nearly guaranteed you'll like this. I've been playing this game non stop the past few days. I'm at about 6.5 hours now.

The controls are definitely clunky but after about 5 hours I honestly stopped noticing them. You play it long enough you adjust to them. They could be better but it's nothing that ruins the game.

I can't tell if the game is lengthy but I'm inclined to believe it is. I've spent about 60% of my game time in free mode grinding to get stronger. In that sense it's like a normal RPG. In FFT it's very difficult to grind and grinding only helps story mode. There's no scaling difficulty in this game from what I see.

There are secret items scattered on the map, rare drops / steals. I have missed some already after I searched online to see what they're about. There are rare colored equips that give bonus stats that can also be synthesized (I haven't figured out how this works yet). Then there's rare tickets you can find on some maps that let you trade for the rarest items in the shop. The interface outside of battle is actually way more user friendly than FFT because everything is in an easy to find place and not piles of menus. I think this is also a good SRPG to try if you want to see if you'll like FFT alternatively.

As for the borders they totally make sense because that's the way the original resolution was. I think if they got rid of them they'd have to resort to stretching the screen which I'd rather not. At this point I don't even notice the borders so I don't mind it. They're not ugly either, as some FF ports have terrible looking borders.

10. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for your update. I loved FFT and think this looks pretty interesting. It sounded like the main quest is a lot 17 hours at least from the 3ds version. I agree that the borders likely help make it not stretched. Overall how are the graphics?

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    The graphics are gorgeous. Just how you'd expect from an FFT "clone". If you played Adventure Bar Story it looks similar in that style. I think the pixel art is nice along with the character portraits that resemble FFT somewhat as well.

I'm sure you can find some gameplay videos online that will show you how the graphics are. I honestly think this is the only mobile game that comes even close to FFT's likeness (at least in gameplay - no one is going to match FFT's story). And it's not F2P junk either.

12. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks for the info! I'll be picking it up

13. jkluk23

jkluk23 Active Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Very much enjoying this game. Lends itself to mobile well, kind of a FFT Lite. The only complaint I have is with the controls. As has been mentioned before they can be awkward at times, but for the price this is an amazing deal and if your a tbs fan you shouldn't hesitate to support this developer!

14. Menezesmaia

Menezesmaia Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Dude, this game rocks! TA must write a review about it. Story, graphics and gameplay are gorgeous. The controls aren't bad, it's ok. If you like FFT you will definitely like it.

15. paolopingol

paolopingol Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    IT Programmer/Digital Arts
    Can I ask how the storyline goes for this game? I mean, is this game has multiple endings? Choices? (just like Tactics Ogre)

16. cenn

cenn Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    if i remember correctly, these were all games from old gen Japanese cellphones that were ported to iOS.
    There are 3 in this series and then a Front-Mission clone that are all well-received in Japan, due to the quality and the low price.They were also ported as DL only 3DS games I think.
    Overall, they look cheap but are real SRPG games with real content.
    the controls are pretty wonky, because they were meant to be used with real buttons on old phones.
    the IAP is completely optional, so consider it an offline-SRPG.

17. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The game itself is pretty good, but the controls are killing it for me.

18. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I am really on the fence with this one...:/ everyone keeps echoing the bad controls. However, everyone keeps saying it's a solid game. I also love games in portrait mode...these are the things I ponder. Ha ha.

19. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    The controls need help, but there's some hot keys that make switching characters a lot easier, and you'll find how they work for different commands. The controls are much much better using this method, but the enemy selection still sucks if you have to tap on them.

I find the game really enjoyable though, and would definitely recommend it if you're a SRPG fan.

20. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Yep, good game, crap controls. Most of the problem comes from the angle of the 2.5D perspective and large maps. Everything is too tight, the small grid and characters get bunched up, making it nearly impossible to select them without the clunky UI. Maybe a top-down mode or zoom function would be useful.