GameClub Melodive (by Johan Gjestland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. lukepolo

lukepolo Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I really like that idea. It would add a lot of initiative to play with odd settings. I was actually just playing heavy at max speed just for fun and got to about 7000m. I was pretty proud of that, so having a special leaderboard just for that would be nice. How many leaderboards would you add?

Well, what I originally had in mind was more colors per dive like what HWest said. Variety is key here. Games that stay visually interesting for me tend to get more attention, and nothing bores me faster than seeing the same colors over and over (although, the gameplay with this particular game is so good, I'd probably be able to overlook it). I don't know that changing colors faster would be something I want. If it changed too fast, I don't think I would be able to really enjoy how they look as much. It's probably good how it is now. As for whether there should be more colors on screen at once, I think as long as the colors look good together, it should be fine. Putting random colors together obviously wouldn't be a very good idea, but hand choosing colors that look nice together and giving areas a sort of theme will make the game look even better. I do think we should avoid what HWest described as being circus like. As long as it's tasteful, it should be fine.

Wow, I really like that lightning storm effect you have there. Why did that get pulled? Also, that's some nice flying. It makes me feel like I can still get a lot better at this game.

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you, you are actually interacting with the melodium. Each of the small crystals you pick up will have a sound depending on their color (64 different sounds). Also there is triangles which are bass drums. When you pick up a sound (collect melodium) it will register in the sequencer. So in that regard the game is really a visual interface for a simple sequencer, or that is one way of seeing it. Also each melodium will come from a set of genes which determine the colors and bulding blocks will be used to make the terrain. If you pick up a lot of yellow melodium, the terrain will get more melodium. So if the colors get a little stuck, you have to seek out the mutations (the genes will each generation undergo mutation) and strenghten dem by picking up a lot of the desired color. Each phenotype (collection of genes) have 16 different colors. Hope that made some sense to you! :)

Also the game is 500 % better with headphones in my view. The 3d-audio is nice when things zip past or listening to the winds (thats me btw, i had to foley the whole thing, hope it sounds ok! :)).

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Nothing could be better and I really appreciate all feedback, hope you find this thread informative and that you will keep spreading the gospel of Melodive!

What is your gamecenter-tag? Mine is johanbg. I would love friend-request from everybody who like Melodive, as I would like to expand on the social features in the future (easy on the push-alerts though!).

It's also hard for me to tell from the leaderboard on who is enjoying themselves or not.

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Wow! This is actually really good! The controls can be a bit frustrating at times, and the lack of a way to go to the menu without crashing is a bit annoying, this game easily gets a solid 4/5. Very interesting experience that I'm glad I didn't miss out on. The only other thing I found a bit weird is the text font, which was a little hard to read. I can't wait to see more updates! :)

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Just tell me what you want! :)

Handpicked will be too much work, but you have given me an idea. There is rules for color-harmony just as musical harmony, and that can be exploited! :) Let me investigate!

The lightning storm effect would have to go anyhow because of fill-rate limitations of the ipad3 (it's a bit underpowered for Retina). Abbey is making more gameplay-videos as we speak. You haven't seen nothing yet! This game was built for speed! Wormholes may reappear some day if I can get them to work. At the moment I won't anything that doesn't add to the experience. They were very distracting, but a lot of fun also... :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hey, thanks for checking in. The GUI has actually been one of the hardest things for me to do and I'm working on improving it. Don't except miracles though, I'll try to incorperate some swiping gestures to pause and restart the game and I'll work a bit more on the text. I cannot change the font or anything however. I know it's a really steep learning curve the first few steps and that the game doesn't ease the pain. A beginner's mode/no die-mode is planned for the update. Since I am doing this myself I've been real busy promoting, but as soon as the dust settles I will code up some nice improvements. Already have a bunch of good tips! :)

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    To new and old readers of this thread: As I am not a professional studio, not even an indepentdant studio, no studio infact, so I urge people to support me in any way they can. Please rate & review Melodive on the AppStore, and if you feel really supportive you could always write a user review at Metacritic: http://mtcr.tc/Y5xc8O. I pledge not to include any nagging in Melodive! :) Also I will listen to all feedback and feature requests. I am glad to report that not a single technical issue (bug/crash) has come up that wasn't fixed by a reboot or reinstall (2 reported instances). If you for any reason have trouble getting Melodive to run, please contact me! Also I am happy to answer any questions about gameplay if you don't want to read the whole thread!

8. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #108 Abbey, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    Hi, Luke! But sorry...

...but I must never mention THE WORMHOLES!!! again!

I would very much like to hear about wormholes. Were they a failed game mechanic?[/QUOTE]

9. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #109 Abbey, Mar 12, 2013
    Hi, again!
    I think it's really important that you learn to fly on HEAVY mode!
    All my soul went in to making Johan tweek the settings just right, otherwise I couldn't sleep at night... I felt like Rainman with new fancy, Björn Borg underwear!
    But he is soo good! He did it did't he?

I love the fastest games, and they don't Even have to bee very long - just nice!

Ok, I recorded another gameplay-video.
    It is set on HEAVY with quite high Handling, 60% Speed and 80% Boost.
    And I tapped in a song, just to show how the Melodium react to a Master Sequencer track.
    I love the bassline!

http://youtu.be/w_i7mJTQzEY

I recorded the run when I got 17 209m, but I liked this one better.

I hesitated to show a game like this on youtube, I feel I might ruin the element of exploring this strange place for someone. But I can always remove it!
    Melodive is more than a game...
    You have to become the game to fully appreciate its gift...
    The art of Flying - simulated!

Abbeylution

10. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Great videos guys! Just had my best flight after watching the youtubes. :D

I know you guys are busy, but, is there a chance of uploading those videos to Vimeo? I would really like to download them.

11. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Glad it works!

I will make that happen tomorrow.
    I can barly see straight, sun is coming up in Norway!

But tell me if there is something special you want me to focus on.
    I try to play pedagogicly??? Is that a word?
    I will add tags to the youtube clips.

The only thing I can't stress enough is the Boost!
    Learn to master it!
    BOOST is KEY if you want to FLY like ME!
    There We go! Now you will remember that, always...

Abbeylution :D

12. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Sounds great! Nothing in particular to focus on :) I'm mainly just watching the turns, boosting, and Melodium pickups.... In the the last video you posted, it seemed liked you stopped, grabbed metallic Melodium, and then kept blasting down. I couldn't have made that pickup (like that) if my life depended on it :D

13. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #113 Abbey, Mar 12, 2013
    Pica Pica

That move is inspired by a bird, latin name Pica Pica. Really cool flyers!
    Much tweeking to get the physics just right, but as I say Johan is a good listener...

And yes, you can listen to the sound of the Boost on the videos. It will give you a clue on how often I use the Boost when I play!

14. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Hi, I'm petcar on GC as well, added you last night:)
    Now back to playing, must go deeper.

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Cool, I see you are a norwegian as well! Did you read: http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/Mobil/6674/Skjnner-du-noe-av-dette-bildet

For english readers: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/Mobil/6674/Skjnner-du-noe-av-dette-bildet

It has brought Melodive to the top 10 downloaded apps here in Norway right now (at no 9 overall,no 6 game)! At the moment Melodive is bigger than MINECRAFT!!!! :D)

16. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah I saw that this morning, that's awesome! Frontpage coverage in one of the leading newspapers cant be a bad thing. Congrats on your success, it's well deserved.

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you, I actually didn't see that it on the frontpage before you said it! Next to Nixon, that's great! :) (It says under Nixon: Americans fighting over the right bear arms: Secret recording reveals Nixon wanting ban in 1972 already. Under Melodive: - The body needs to adjust to it! Norwegian psychedelic musicgame is rising on the AppStore)

Attached Files:

18. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #118 Abbey, Mar 12, 2013
    More gameplay, if anybody is interested...

http://youtu.be/tGfczVDahHo

I will have to wait until tomorrow with vimeo upload, but here is a new youtube video,
    I think it's the run where I get my present hi-score.
    It's not beautiful, but it's intense!

Set on HEAVY.

19. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Congrats on the (well deserved) 4.5 star review from Touch Arcade! I hope it brings some new people into the game :) .

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you, I am so stoked right now! I just can't believe it... Thank you to everybody for their warm support, without it Melodive would have died a silent death. Now it can truly blossom. :)