GameClub Melodive (by Johan Gjestland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    The levels can be tweeked by picking up slimmer/taller/smaller metallic melodium. Also, you have reached this level very fast. I've played this game for thousand of hours. There has been more playing than programming! :D

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm going to give this game another try tonigh but since the update I've noticed a few things (playing on my 4S)...

1. The boost doesn't seem to last as long. I guess I could revert back to the old version and compare but I have the boost fully upgraded and it just seems worse than before the update when I didn't have the update done. I thought looking at the help screen stuff again might have reset where the boos was so I drained it down to nothing and then re-upped it to full but it still runs out way too quickly.

2. The controls. I was moderately decent at this before, now sometimes the left to right tilting just doesn't work very well (sometimes it's all left and to go right I need to go way past what should be a normal right). As a consequence my scores have taken a nosedive, I was getting in the 700K region on arcade, now I'm barely scratching 400K. Looks like 1M is going to take me forever to break on arcade. I did watch the tuturial and since there's no "speed" option I went ahead and turned the "gravity" slider all the way down and that helped a little, but honestly I'm getting worse at this despite having handling and boost maxed out.

3. Hyper mode, I'm at a loss here. YES, I am 20th in the world at it right now but that's only from running full speed downward and surviving for a few seconds. Any other way and my score is no where near as high. It seems broken by design. Maybe it's the scoring multiplier that rewards going full blast over actually playing the game? I mean, I'm 20th in the world and that's just from holding down the boost and managing to survive a few seconds. I this needs tweaking.

4. Maybe related to my skill in this game disappearing but I notice now that I'm more often facing formations which have no path through. Since the boost seems lower and I'm forced me to run along the surface of wherever depth I'm at until I'm lucky enough to find a hole... I'm finding that is where most of my deaths take place. I can't seem to do the graceful spiral and actually find a black spot to aim for very often. I thought the update was supposed to open up the world a little more? It seems more closed off than before.

I won't change my score in the appstore though. This is still an amazing experience and I just hope it gets improved over time. I'd still like a more "free" mode (maybe call it "Chill" where you have unlimited boost and there's no scoring involved or the scoring is more geared towards collecting melodium than flying fast. I think that would be fun for a less serious game experience.

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    The higher boost-setting the faster it will run out. Try with a little less boost. Also try to pick up more Metallic Melodium/normal melodium. You are right that it drains faster than 1.1, because it's a tight balance. I need to avoid the player running out of terrain, something that can happen with open space and a lot of boost.

Don't max out handling and boost if you're not comfortable with it! it's meant to be tuned to your personal preferance/game mode, so the boost shouldn't always be maxed out. Handling you should have as high as you feel comfortable with, but the sensitivity varies from iphone to ipad, without the game compensating. I will probably fix this in an update, but for now the sensitivty is a bit higher on the iPhone.

I don't know about these problems you talked about, but try playing with the device in a more horizontal orientiation (facing up), the sensitivy varies with the rotation, it can't be helped. But the roll problem I have never seen, and I've played a lot on my iphone4s, but of course much more on my ipad. Can you describe it in more detail?

Regrding the gravity... This is really the difficulty setting, but you must remember that a higher gravity also yields tighter control, so you should try to advance to higher and higher gravity (at least until you get 2X gravity), because the game will feel more response.
    So if you're a Melodive Master, keep your gravity at 50 % at least. The reason for this besides the tighter controls are also that the game penalizes you for having a low gravity. This is avoid high score exploits by going very slow in zero gravity. So if you have less than 50 % gravity, the game will speed up more. Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

That's a nice exploit, I will have to plug that whole. You shouldn't score unless you get 3000 m down or something. The reason why you get these scores is because the score is calculated like this: (1.003^mean speed)*depth achieved. There has only been like 300-400 players, so it's not so strange that you place 20 then, but you are right that this shouldn't be so.

The mode is not broken, but it's for very advanced players. This is basically version 1 with 100% speed, so it's a quick game mode for the best of the best. It's not meant to be for everybody, and ideally it would be locked until you reached 15,000 meters or something, but I think it's nice to give people a small taste of the speeds that can be achieved in Melodive.

There is less total clogging, but you are right that it still happens. I will tweak this further in the next release. It's very difficult, because the clogging also depends on what forms you pick up. I might implement a tunnel (been experimenting with that), so there will always be an exit, no matter what. I think that's the way to solve it.

Yes, it's coming. Unlimited boost, no crashing. I'm redoing free to this, and maybe re-label it as ZEN or CHILL as you say. Thanks for having faith and not changing your review. I appreaciate all feedback, and especially the negative makes the game better of course! So thank you for your detailed report! I hope my answers makes things a bit clearer. I am sorry that the road is made while walking, hopefully my next game will be a bit more finished/polished at release.

Speaking of which, I'm hoping to make a shooting game so you can destroy all that pesky terrain. I think it will be very rewarding after those crashes! :)

4. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Sounds epically awesomely fantastic!

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm going for multiplayer! :)

6. lukepolo

lukepolo Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    So I just so happen to record my latest highscore, and thought I'd drop the link here for anyone who's interested. It's certainly not the smoothest ride ever and I got extremely lucky at some points, but it's still pretty good flying.
    http://youtu.be/mo8NxdG6JPg

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm just so amazed you pull this of with an iphone! Did you notice the 5 degrees extra Field of View? How do you feel about the terrain and the mode now? Any tweaks you would like to see?

8. So I did this this morning...I'm kinda happy with that 10-20 minutes

Attached Files:

9. In case you are wondering, here is my Game Center for this game now

Attached Files:

10. lukepolo

lukepolo Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    So I didn't realize how bad the quality was on that last video until just now. I think the app I used to edit the video made the quality of the video take a dip, so I went ahead and uploaded the whole unedited run. I feel the video quality is at least marginally better and it shows the settings I used.
    http://youtu.be/B78WKJ9wdXc

I can't say when I started playing, I thought at all about the field of view. I've never had much of a problem with it, so I didn't really think about it, but now that you mention it, I suppose it is a bit better than before. The terrain is definitely hard. I actually liked the 1.2 beta's terrain a bit better honestly just because it was easier to fly faster. With how the terrain is now, flying fast, for me at least, is a lot of bumping around. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I think a hyper mode would be better suited to more open terrain with a very high minimum speed, which is to say zero gravity in this mode would be equal to 70% speed in version 1, or something ridiculous like that. That's how I would've done it anyway. So rather than focus on maneuvering through tight spaces, the focus would be purely on how fast one can fly through somewhat open space. I suppose since the leaderboard is already established with this mode, you could make a new speed mode with this in mind, but I feel I've already asked enough out of you, and I really don't want to come off as demanding or anything. Overall, I would say at this point I'm completely happy with this game and can't wait for the soundpacks. While I do think this game would be better with a new speed mode, I would actually rather see you make a new game with this engine. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Maybe I can even be a tester for you.

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Sorry if this has been suggested before, but some kind of replay/upload system would be really great! A lot of people are already recording their runs for YouTube, so building this functionality straight into the app would be really helpful I think. Maybe get in touch with the Everyplay people... I see that popping up in more and more games and it seems to work okay.

I have a lot of runs (especially in the new Hyper Mode) where I narrowly squeeze through cracks and crevices at breakneck speeds and end it really sad I'll never see it again or be able to share it!

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thats great, what gravity-setting did you use. If you want to max out you scores you need to play with at least 50 % gravity when you have 2X gravity. This is to avoid the game speeding up too much.

Thanks for the review btw. It was the 100th 5-star review worldwide. The score is like this (thank you so much all reviewers!):
    5 stars: 100
    4 stars: 14
    3 stars: 8
    2 stars: 6
    1 stars: 8

Also, please please try the game on a supported device, you'll understand! :)

13. I can't remember what gravity system I was using when I made the high score. It wasn't on 2x gravity, and it probably was between 25-50%

I wonder what the game would actually look like on a supported device though, it would look insanely good

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    There is a balance to be made because if the terrain is too open the player will be able to fly faster than the new terrain is being generated, so then you meet the invisible wall. It did get a bit crazy in 1.2 though. I will put in some more open spaces so you'll get a small breaks in the stream of rocks! ;)

I also plan on doing tweeking the free-mode and implementing the sound control sceeen, but after that I will focus on a new project.

I would love all Melodive-fandms to participate from the start, so if anybody is interested, drop me a pm with your udid.

Right now I'm in North Norway on my day job (filming), so I won't start wirk before a months time. Hopefully Melodive will be finished by then! :)

15. Wooton

Wooton Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I really don't get it. At all.

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Cinematic replay with avatar would be great as you could really get a sense for the speed and skill, but it's too hard to do. I will save that for my wingsuit game. Put a upload system is a nice feature. I will check into that everplay. Havent heard about it. I use game capture myself, but i get bummed out by the fact that there is no way to record and share 60p. Melovie looks real choppy in all the footage.

I do love when I see uploaded user videos of melodive, so it would be cool to stimulate that! I'll look into it, there is so much high level stuff that is just plug and play.

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi, thanks for posting! The discussion here is very technical at this point. There is some good explaining in the first ten pages of this thread.

OR, you could check out my video-tutorial: http://youtu.be/Ccf0ubhebLc

The point of the game is to master the flying and get as deep as possible, as fast as possible, without dying.

Just ask me if you have any questions. I'm sorry it's not more approachable, it requires some patience.

18. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Got a promo-code for this and it's awesome!

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    thanks! glad you like it! Please help me spread the word! :)

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Just wanted to inform everybody that Melodive has gone free for good. It is now donationware. I am sorry that the sound packs are not finished yet, as I am away on a road trip with my day job. I have people working on it however, so I should be able to finish it up pretty quickly when I return home in two weeks.