GameClub Melodive (by Johan Gjestland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Loco Roco soundtrack ;)

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Update:
    1.2 was submitted yesterday to apple. New stuff:
    Reworked terrain - same on all settings and less clogging
    New mode: Hyper: same as arcade, but starts off much faster. New leaderboard: score = speed x depth
    Unlocked sequencer from start
    Double gravity for melodive masters
    Better defined sky and horizon
    Depth indication by color of sky and metallic melodium. Full cycle = 10km
    Tap to set tempo when in-game music is turned off
    New file-size: 1,8 mb (3,4 mb install)!
    Background loading of sound files-> quicker start
    Brushed up icon

All in all this release should be the 1.0, but that's too late. ;)

Also: several different people are working on sound packs, so hopefully i can include this in the next update. Since I compressed all the sounds, i can fit everything in 10 mb probably, so there will only be one melodive. :)

3. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Apologies if its already been suggested but I'd love to see a Zen Mode type update. Scores are fun but I'd also like to fly around without caring how many times I crash sometimes.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I was very happy to see the update hit tonight. This typically is one of the games I play a night before going to sleep.

I too would love a zen mode where you can't die and have unlimited thrusters. No score board or anything just a mode to relax to.

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I will make this in the next update. It is what "FREE" was supposed to be, but I needed some way to end it. Didn't think of the shake-gesture. Should work good.

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Cool, let me know what you think!

7. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I suggest a subtle symbol or even just a dot at the top left or right of the screen to get out of free mode. (you could even have an option to hide the symbol, for people who like a completely interface-free screen) Shaking may be fine on smaller devices but it is a horrible gesture on the iPad. The iPad is too large and heavy to shake comfortably. Just my opinion of course.

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    hehe, yeah. I would say the shake-gesture is horrible on any device! I can do both I guess. :) It's just a way to get back to the menu, no big deal.

Also, I got some new ideas for sound packs. I'm thinking of making an adjustment screen for music, where you change out group of sounds or just the lead or bass or whatever. Much finer control in other words. Is this overkill, or do you think it would be nice. Will yield much more varaiation.

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #369 Candykiller, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    I would like to see that level of control over the sound.

If players aren't interested in that sort of thing they can just leave it alone, but it would add another element of fun for those of us who like tinkering with music apps.

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's the best implementation I think. Not so hard to do. I just need to find a lot of good sounds. I'm working on it, but it's a big job. If somebody out there has any good sounds (preferably in banks of 8), I would love to put them in. 16bit 44.1khz mono wav is the format. I'm committed to doing this, but as I have a full time job on the side, I would love to get help. I'm thinking a 1.99 unlock for the whole package. Is that a fair price?

In other news: The 1.2 update has been downloaded over 11k times in the short time it's been out. I have recieved a total of three donations, I think that's great actually! I wasn't expecting a single one. If this works out, I will make Melodive free forever. It currently sells about 20 copies a day. At this pace Melodive will reach a million people in 136 years. It's a bit slow for my taste.

Also: I've raised the price to 1.99 but posted a thread with free promo codes: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=185329
    I've got lots of promos now, so I will refill when needed. Don't be afraid to ask me directly either! :)

11. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Nice update! I really like the icon. The Hyper mode is hard but fun. Everything is playing well on my device :)

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Good to hear! Talking about devices, I think I forgot to mention that I've disabled retina on the iphone4, should be little better, but still not recommended. :(

13. 0ruse

0ruse New Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I just registered to say that I've really been enjoying playing melodive over the last week or two. The new hyper mode is fantastic; in particular the 2x gravity really is hard!

However I hit the 'invisible wall' fairly often now. I always wait a few seconds before I start a new game, but during a fast run occasionally I meet it further in the depths. I also close all other apps, although I'm not sure if this has any real effect.

I made a donation, since I got the app for free :)

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No, this is not a memory problem. It's about the speed of your device. Are you playing on a supported device (iphone4s+, or ipad2+)? If so, it's a good idea to wait at least 5 seconds before starting a game, especially in Hyper-mode. It can happen on supported devices also, but you need to be better than me to achieve it. Most people experiencing this are playing on iphone4, and that's nothing I can do about, unfortunately, because iPhone4 lacks dual core processor.

Hey thanks! I'm amazed that people actually use that button! :)

15. 0ruse

0ruse New Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Well, I have an iPad mini. Is that supported?

I will try and wait a little longer before starting the game. Usually I wait about 3-4s.

In hyper mode, I usually hit it when I travel with mean speed around 500km/h. I usually also die pretty soon afterwards :)

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, i havent tried it myself, but it should be similar to ipad2, and that works great (it was developed on it).

Ok, if you get mean speeds over 500 km/h, you are extremely good. If you hit the wall, give the game some time, dont try to push further downward. I will investigate and optimize more, but there is a limit to how fast the terrain will generate. This will be higher on ipad3, 4 and iphone5.

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    7 seconds should do it on the ipad mini.

What scores are you getting at Hyper? Please add me: johanbg! :)

18. 0ruse

0ruse New Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I'll try and be a little more patient!

Currently just under 14 million. I've noticed that I've really seen myself get better with the Hyper mode. Clearly however, I still have a long way to go!

I'll add you now :)

19. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    So, I got a promo code (thanks so much, by the way!), and I'm rather confused about what to do. :eek: So far, all I've really figured out is that I can touch to boost, and that I'm supposed to go down (which is easy to figure out based on the sky / mushrooms). However, I'm pretty confused as to a few things:

Why do I run out of boost sometimes, and how do I refuel? I know it's something about color, but I haven't really seen much color changing.

The music frequently feels very off-rhythm and weird, but this might just be because I messed with the sequencer. :p

How do I know how much I'm allowed to bump into stuff?

I've read through some of this thread, but I'm still feeling confused. However, I'm loving the atmosphere and excellent control system for this game!

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi, please watch my video tutorial on youtube: http://youtu.be/Ccf0ubhebLc

The music is 100 % procedural, so sometimes its nice, and other times its horrible! :) if you press start from within the sequencer it will use your own music. Sound packs are coming as IAP.

The saturation of the terrain indicates your health = boost level. Seek out the flying colored stuff (melodium) to replenish your boost. The shiny lumps recharge you fully.

Its hard to know excactly how much you can bump, because it depends on gravity settings, your speed at impact and health level. You will get a feel for this after a while.

Melodive is not the most accessible game, but if you are beginning to master the controls you have come a long way already!