GameClub Melodive (by Johan Gjestland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 6, 2013.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, this is very good observation, i will investigate! The terrain is supposed to be the same as in Melodive 1.0.

It will submit the unreported highest score when re-connecting with
    Try out the free-mode, it will not register scores in that mode. Besides only scores > 35,000 meters are problematic now I feel.

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Wild game. Haven't played much, but it seems like it will be a cool change of pace once I figure out what I'm doing...

Any chance of adding any sort of achievements via Game Center?

Thanks for making this a freebie...

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Experimentation is key, read the help and you'll be fine. I have a video tutorial on youtube: http://youtu.be/Ccf0ubhebLc

Absolutely, just need to figure out all the achievements and make them a bit wiity! :)

Thank you for downloading, please spread the joy if it's enjoyable! I'm trying to outrank sonic dash! :)

4. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Well this is a bizzare and interesting little creature of a game, isn't it. What I would have done for something like this in my more formative years. A lot of the joy I've extracted from this has been in slowly getting more and more fluid with the experience and that says a lot about the title. It's not just "getting the controls down" but more of a falling into the rhythm, which is a neat characteristic of some games and something I really enjoy.

I've read some words that parallel this with Super Hexagon, which I am a huge fan of, and I find that to be spot on. The two titles are totally different experiences, but both have the ability to provide that feeling of falling into a zone and losing yourself in the screen in a way very different than, say, losing yourself in the depth an epic RPG. There is a mind-body connection going on here that's very satisfying. It's an unusual thing to achieve these days and a testament to the developer for being able to make such a seemingly abstract world so tangible.

I picked this up for free today, and I've recommended it to a few people since, but as soon as this promo is over, I'll be buying a couple copies to gift as a thank you. Titles like this reinforce my belief that iOS is still capable of wonderful things in spite of some current trends and I really look forward to seeing what you have coming.

Thanks again for the freebie...I'll be paying it forward.

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you for these fantastic kind words! You are absolutely right about the mind-body connection. I think it's because of the closed feedback-loop that the device, hands and mind make up. And the 60 fps without a hud that makes it more immersive and responsive. Tilt-controls are actually very precise in my view, I think we will see more of that in the future as the platform matures. Esp the iphone 5 has very precise tilt-controls, but probably ipad4 as well.

I get really happy whenever I see that Melodive has been gifted. It's even better than a good review! But it's a close call, so if you would like to support me some more, please leave a review in the store when you find the time. It's great if you share Melodive for free with your friends/connections. I'm trying to reach the top today so everything helps! This is my shot to break through the noise and try to make something of Melodive and the tech behind.

6. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I left that post as a review last night. Thanks again.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #327 Guise, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    All the technical stuff behind this is confusing, but sometimes it feels like if I'm boosting non-stop the terrain generation is less dense. I'm crashing about like a fool going quite slowly, then suddenly I go all out and there's an easy path.

Maybe we're all just imagining it :eek:

9. Abbey

Abbey Member

Jan 15, 2013
    It's the wind!
    I think the gravity-change somehow influenced the wind.
    Made it stronger and more playful...
    ;)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Don't think so, as all the top people are reporting it. We're working on it. I changed very few things from 1.0 to 1.1, so it should be easy to fix. Will hopefully submit on monday. Trying to fit-in an hardcore-mode also. Or that your stats gets upgraded when you become master. I'm not sure yet, but I would love to include a leaderboard that was depth x speed. Also first to 10,000 meters but that's a bit tricky because of the space onscreen... What would you like?

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, that's right, at least that is good to hear. It get's a bit less dense, the more gravity you have. This is because of the added speed. I like the terrain best at "light"-setting, but Abbey insisted on opening it a bit up in 1.0 because it was just too hard. Now we are testing the same terrain on all settings. Also the rampup of speed is slower in this version. I'm thinking of reverting to the old setting, or a blend.

12. Chester_Copperpot

Nov 21, 2012
    #332 Chester_Copperpot, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot for making it free. I can see now I should have bought it.

I'm gonna leave a 5-star review and I'm looking forward to buying the music expansion packs. I think this will be a permanent app on my devices.

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you for your feedback and your review, it's really appreaciated! :) I am thinking of including soundpacks free. I am no great fan of IAP, so it's a bit of a pickle. :confused: Maybe it will just be a "support the dev"-button or something. I love that people feel they get a positive suprise from this, like you did. :)

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Sounds good. Especially like the idea of same terrain for all settings.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This may sound odd, but have you considered adding Audiobus support?

As an input, one could redirect the sound through filters, as a filter or output, the app could use another app's audio as a source (for example a synth.)

You'd be the first game with Audiobus support - might gain some attention (note how AB and compatible apps have been featured by Apple since Garage Band got on the bus.

16. Chester_Copperpot

Nov 21, 2012
    I've never been wild about IAP, myself, but you do deserve to be compensated for your work. There's some middle ground you could consider; you could make the music packs unlockable by completing challenges and include IAP as an option for impatient players. Most people seem pleased with a balance like that.

Have you considered adding a pause feature? People get annoyed when they want my attention and I'm reluctant to look away from my phone. :)

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes that would be really cool. If I combined this with a beat-analazyer, it could be real useful and extend the playability of my app. It's not on the top of my list, as I will probably built a custom vj-app for this purpose. Then I could have more options on the visuals and physics. It would be better because then I could redesign the interface so more options would fit on screen. When this app is made, I can import the relevant parts back to Melodive and extend it that way.

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    When I browse apps, I always check their IAP, and if it's a lot of diffrent "gold"-packs, I usually skip it, because I will have to grind in this game. But if I see IAP like "show solution to all levels" and "thank the developer" i am much more positive. I'm thinking I'm getting a good deal here. At least that's my reasoning. So I think I will try the same.

I will put in a donate-button on home-screen, and it's a consummable so people can "buy" it as many times as they want. I think that's a good solution, because if people play over months, they might donate several times if they really love it, or at least they have the option (depending on their finances. And you don't have to if you don't want.

If this "shareware"-option worked (it should, but I might have to have a very large install base), Melodive could go free, and that would be my dream, as I would rather have whole world playing Melodive, than getting rich from a "few" people.

Yes, I have considered it and still is. The problem is that it could be exploited for cheating, implementing it is a breeze. You can however pause the game by locking your device. It's not the most elegant solution, but at least there is a pause-button. Because of the location of the button, this pausing doesnt give you any advantages, but a slight disadvantage. It does the job however! :)

19. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That's a pretty admirable way to handle it. It gives people an option to drop money through IAP as a donation to support you without it affecting the game. Sadly I don't do IAP for anything (not that you need to cater to me, just sayin'), I'd be more apt to gift the app or buy a sequel or new game by the same dev. As it is, this is a cool game but it feels like it's not finished with all the tweaking still going on. I know a lot of folks love that side of the appstore, that games can get modified and have new features and stuff but I tend to cling more onto games that are finished and are easy to recommend because there isn't as much of a chance that some new tweak is going to ruin the experience. You seem to have your head screwed on straight though, it'll be interesting to see what the final Melodive game ends up like. Just don't lose sight of whatever goal you had set. At some point it's not a bad thing to put it to rest and move on to making something else. Sort of like momma bird pushing her baby out of the nest.

I don't see how a pause feature would allow cheating. Just black the screen out. I'm sure it could be done elegantly.

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #340 gjestland, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    I think that's a great way to handle it also. I really really love when people gift my app, it such a perfect statement on how they feel about the game.

Yeah, I'm no pro and this is my first game, so there was some stuff that came out when people actually started playing it that I hadn't thought of. Also, the identity of the game has changed somewhat from experimental to racing, so I'm adapting to that. I think it's nice that people can contribute and shape this as I'm doing no big changes, only trying to realize the potential. Melodive is one big learning experience for me, but it's great to see that you actually can come from nowhere and make some tiny waves in the appstore. I think there is a growing demand for quality on iOS and this will benefit the serious developers.

I do agree that the bird has to fly eventually, and after the next update I think it will be ready. I think actually Melodive has gotten better my this process than what I could do on my own. Next time I release something it, I will hopefully have a lot more beta-testers that already are into Melodive.

Hmm, I will have to think about that. Even if the screen blacks out, there is an after-image on the retina and the memory of it in the mind, so you will be able to analyze the situation much better and take decisive action when unpaused. Maybe it can be solved by limiting the number of pauses to just one or two per game, or ten per day or something.