Melodica is now on the appstore! - From the makers of Fuzzle

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tatuman, May 6, 2009.

1. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I think that Melodica has a very polished sound. I just purchased Paklsound1 but have yet to put it on my iPhone. The only reason I bought Paklsound1 is because they dropped the price to .99. I have yet to judge myself but from the youtube videos I've seen (heard) ... I just don't like the sound .... however .... I think that a wise developer such as candycaneapps would be smart to compete with Paklsound1. You're off to a good solid start with full sound quality.... now listen to you're admirers and complete Melodica. I hope that you make the sales that you deserve and put the money back into development.

2. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I got this app as soon as I saw it in the appstore. The two features I would really like to be able to export as a wav file and change the scale. Melodica could be a great companion to beatmaker. I like the scale they used. It is modal and it works, but it would be great. I know you have to keep simple for those who are not musicians, but pentatonic, whole tone, Arabic and South American scales could work. Melodica can be also great for minimalist music. There are many possibilities.

3. lafuria

lafuria Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Definitely glad I picked this us, there's a lot of potential. I agree that the ability to change the scale would be a major addition.

4. tatuman

tatuman Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    We are happy that you are enjoying it so far. Keep the feedback coming :)

5. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    For those of you on the fence, really do visit http://tinyurl.com/tonematrix. I just did and it totally convinced me. I watched the video a while back but this online tonematrix really pushed me over the edge.

I wonder if the price will go up though, developers often say that to increase sales.

Oh and I also second the feature request for a different 'tab' for percusson or something like that. The player doesn't *have* to use it, they can keep it as simply as they want. But it would defenitely give extra value to Melodica. :)

P.S. I'm glad I can purchase from CandyCane, I'm not a fan of games in the Fuzzle genre but I did really like how it looked etc. So I´m glad they now developed this Melodica app! :)

6. tatuman

Nov 1, 2008
    I forgot to say that we will be giving some promo codes for our apps on twitter, to know more details just follow us on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/candycaneapps

7. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The only thing I find annoying about Melodica is the Candy Cane splash screen that totally doesn't fit with the style of the rest of the app! :p

8. tatuman

Nov 1, 2008
    We would like to ask to everyone that already tried Melodica a few questions regarding the future saving/recording capabilities.

Would you prefer to save only the final matrix or the evolution of the composition?

Thanks, we will be waiting for your feedback.

9. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    As I've also said on Twitter, I'd love to be able to record the evolution of the composition. Often great results are achieved by changing a few tones so that the tune will evolve over time. That's a significant part of my Melodica experience. :)

10. marlenedegrood

Prefer to save the evolution ... that's part of the beauty. Thanks for asking!

11. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    I would love to have the two of them. If I had to choose, I may prefer the final composition.

12. marlenedegrood

But you could always output the entire evolution, which would end as a final composition, to your computer and edit it in something like Audacity to just include the final pass and then loop it. Seems to me that the evolution gives you more bang for your buck.

13. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok then, I'll go for evolution

14. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Can you not add a line of buttons at the bottom of the screen that saves a particular screen (when you'd like) in order to switch/evolve through a number of mutations/loops? Then you could both play, and replay, a whole composition in any order of the evolution.

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Maybe this would be better than on-screen buttons: right now shaking clears the screen, but shaking the device could also open a popup (or an overlay menu) where you could "clear", "save", "import" and anything else that might be added in future updates.

16. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Wow dev, I cant believe you called your app "unique" and "revolutionary" when it is neither of those things. If you are looking for an app like this, I would advise you just get Paklsound1. It has like 4 pages with different beats and seems to be much better than this.

17. marlenedegrood

The problem for me with Paklsound1 is that the sounds remind me of radar bleeps. They just aren't musical tones ... very electronic, whereas Melodica actually has pleasing tones.

18. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    This is an amazing app!
    It combines pixel art with music, two of my favorite things.
    [​IMG]

19. tatuman

Nov 1, 2008
    Really cool pixel drawing you made there!

20. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    It sounds pretty cool too :D
    (That's why I added the rhythm at the bottom and some extras at the top.