Mekorama

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Martin Magni, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Woohoo!!!!! Finished my new level...
    Mr bez, up for trying this one?

[​IMG]

2. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Bug report: if you place eyes in the level which are not joined to a robot, the level will crash upon trying to play it and you cannot access the editor for that level again.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep, already hit that one. Emailed Martin so he knows. If you quickly hit pause then stop, you can get to edit mode and remove it for now. Your new level is great!

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    odd bot out is one of hidden gems on the app store. I love the game style and the puzzle of that game, moreover it has tiny size too, very well optimized :D
    I'm looking forward for this one :)

5. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    On level 6 I fell off the lower platform, and could not find a way back on.

6. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    And a new level. Once again, try not to do any dodgy moves.
    [​IMG]

7. Perspective

Perspective Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Primary petrol pumper
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
  8. #48 Martin Magni, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Could you clarify?

I've seen this. If anyone has any idea on how to reproduce it, please let me know.

I hear you. I'll try to come up with replacements and trash those levels completely.

Solved it! I love how the entire level is just one spinning cube, very clever, very beautiful! I'll look into the tilts-by-itself issue.

The idea was for people to "remix" others' levels. But I agree, it doesn't feel right, I'll probably change that. As a bonus you'd get the restart button instead of the stop/play buttons, which would be useful in the Mini Golf level below!

Very cool! It's like you're playing co-op with Red :)

Good idea.

Great concept! I wonder if there's a way for me to not play so many collision sounds, it makes the level feel stressful when it's absolutely not. Ideas?

OMG! Very innovative :D But yes, hard to control, didn't know how to get on the last piece of rail.

Again, wonderful cube design! Again, my collision sounds makes it feel stressful, will look into this. (I won't even comment on the excessive shadows because I'm not going to fix that. Oh, wait, I just did comment on it.)

Glad you noticed! Mekorama is even tinier.

Haven't beaten this one yet. Am I supposed to go back onto the first cylinder? I keep falling off, like I need a slightly bigger landing platform because B has gotten dizzy by the spinning.

Now, attached is my suggestion for replacing the "very irritating" Level 46, very much inspired by Mr Bez' Fore! It's still physics-based, because I think it's nice that Mekorama isn't "just" about cerebral logic puzzles. But I'm hoping the physics here is less finicky/random and more about practice/skill. What do you think?

Attached Files:

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    #49 TheGreatEscaper, Mar 27, 2016
    Mini Golf is a wonderful replacement! It's more creative, less finicky, and a lot more fun overall. I'd definitely prefer this over level 46.
    Level 36 is fine as a level it's just a bit difficult to control the cubes.

Re: Spin Cycle - I noticed that little oddity with B falling off the cylinder and decided to make it part of the puzzle. There is a foolproof way to get back onto it without falling off - hopefully this hint has 'nudged' you in the right direction!

Re: Graphic bug in editor: It appears sliders don't have any collision detection. Is this intended? I've checked where this happens and found out it's just the sliders which pass through other objects.
    Also levels with a lot of dynamic elements and a few static elements are very odd. For example, replacing a few blocks in 'Puzzle Box' with static blocks causes the whole thing to explode.
    Here I have a level which is IDENTICAL to puzzle box, but i have replaced one block on the roof with a stone block. Try playing that level...

[​IMG]\

It doesn't even have to be in the puzzle. Place a concrete block far away and the same glitch happens. Once again this level is IDENTICAL to puzzle box, but I've placed a concrete block a little bit away from the box. Play this one too.

[​IMG]

Just to prove it, once you've done 'Glitch 2', remove the concrete block and the level will function as normal.

10. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    thanks for the invite! and wow, this game is brilliant. 5 megabytes killer of the Moniment Valley!

11. MechanizedIT

MechanizedIT New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    #51 MechanizedIT, Mar 27, 2016
    Sail Away

Very nice Martin! Editor works great.

When placing dynamic objects onto other dynamic objects, it gets a bit messy, like with a rotor, it moves with the dynamic object, but doesn't like to spin freely, snaps back. Would be amazing if you could get complex dynamic objects to wor on other dynamic objects, like rails on rails, but i'm not complaining, game is already fantastic.

Edit: replaced original attachment with one that includes a small adjustment to close a loophole in last level, now has to be pretty much solved as intended.

Edit: just figured out you don't need the rails :)

Attached Files:

12. Perspective

Perspective Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Primary petrol pumper
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the invite. I'm definitely getting into this. I'll try to give more specific feedback later, but the initial experience was spot on.

13. Well, no. I just haven't found a good way to fix that without them colliding with the rail they're sliding over.

I'll just switch the stone texture for a TNT texture. Problem solved ;)

I believe this happens when sliders have no rail, in which case they get their constraints from the (static) world extents. I'll have a look.

Glad you noticed :)

I feel a bit guilty for not having this work properly. I remember trying to fix it, and then postponing it because there were more critical issues. I can only promise that I'll continue feeling guilty as long as it continues being messy.

Lovely themed level! Looks simple, but isn't. And the boat rocks, literally ;)

Everyone, may I ask for feedback on some new levels? Here's my thinking:

* Sarlacc Pit replaces Laputa (Level 23, did anyone enjoy that level?)
    * Pearly Gates replaces Zig Zag (Level 16, but new level is harder and would move later)
    * The Cube (heavily inspired by TheGreatEscaper's Perspective Maze, you'll get credit) replaces Odd Bot Out (Level 36)

Attached Files:

14. sr388

sr388 Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I have my iphone 5 back finally (only device with IOS 8 to use testflight that I have).

My opinion: I have only played 4 levels and my first opinion is just WOW. I really love this game already and I think I will love it even more. Looking at the robot (I don't know how to call it, it has a name?) and how it moves through the level, looking awkward, which is really cool due to its physical movement (I guess) like in odd bot out (which I am playing again too).

Pros: Everything, the look of the levels is simple but at the same time really beatiful, like in monument valley, a game that I think that influences this game, if I am not wrong, which is nice too. The music is also very relaxing and give a nice touch to the game.

Of course the editor is a big addition to the game which makes it infinite, joined to the simple use of QR to get new levels.

Cons: Absolutely nothing. The only thing that I will say, it is that in a first time I thought that the robot will be controlled like in odd bot out, grabbing and dragging the finger to the desired position, but I finally found that you only need to tap in the zone where you want to move it. Maybe add both types of control as an extra option would be nice, but this is just a little suggestion, the game is already a must have for me.

Finally: Also, maybe it isn't necessary, but maybe in some level the camera would need to be rotated down, to see better the level and get a better point of view

Another little cool adition would be a litle story in the background, just like in odd boy out there was that little plot of the robot running away from that factory to its freedom. But anyway, like I said, you already sold me the game.

I have not tried the editor yet, but I will post other comment with a further opinion. But for now, I already want to trow you my money for this game. One question, maybe it could be asked before, do you have an ETA for the game?

15. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Quick question for anyone here. I'm having trouble scanning in the levels I see here. I have a scanning app but nothing happens. Is there somewhere internal in the game to do the scanning?
    Thanks muchly.

16. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    If you drag to the right on the level select screen, you will see the options for scanning levels ingame.

Re Martin: The new levels are good replacements. I'm actually not sure how to do Sarlacc Pit! Pearly Gates is a cool replacement for Staircases, keeps the same concept but in a more interesting puzzle.
    The Cube is a nice simplified version of Perspective Maze. I might be a bit predisposed to the concept though... xD

17. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    That worked. Thanks!

18. Thanks :D

The robot is called B, because it's black, yellow, and bumbles about. (Also, a reference to a certain other black and yellow robot.)

It's a descendant of Odd, with more advanced features like built-in path planning capability, arms, and (prototype) feet jets.

I don't think anyone has gotten the (minimal) intro sequence. B suffers a catastrophic jet malfunction and crashes onto a mysterious island. Marooned in a strange environment, not built for easy access on foot, B needs your help to get back home.

Isn't all this evident from that puff of black smoke in the first level!?

I'm working on all the great feedback I've gotten from you beta testers. Then, release.

Great achievement is born of great sacrifice.

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Finally getting to post imps after a few days with it. This game completely rocks. The visuals are superb and polished. Everything is working great. It is becoming quite challenging. Sometimes the 2 finger panning seems a little wonky. But all around great game!

20. Dude...that was crazy! :)