Mekorama

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Martin Magni, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Pretty sweet game I love how the robot moves, and these are fun puzzles,I'm really having a great time with this one

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have played the first 10 levels and this is charming and quite enjoyable. Great work!

3. THIS. Congratulations Mr Bez, I believe this is the first user-created Mekorama level to be spotted "in the wild!" And an innovative one at that, using poor B as a golf ball :D

4. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've only had time to check out the first couple of levels (getting read for work). No problems. Fun so far.

I would add a level number to the outside of the card

5. Elbishi

Elbishi New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Beta test

Would love to be part of the beta test, done this before for other games and this one looks wonderful

6. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #26 TheGreatEscaper, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Finished all 50 levels of the game and Mr. Bez's level, and made a VERY difficult puzzle.

Firstly, feedback:

GRAPHICS: The game looks gorgeous. It's a lovely isometric 3D with a nice level of detail that remains simplistic but not too minimalistic. Occasionally there is the odd graphical glitch, especially in the level editor where pieces pass through each other.

INTERFACE: Very nice. I like the way the menu is like a card collection folder. Has a very fun feel to it. But what happens when someone has, say, 100+ levels in their own creations folder? Seems like it wouldn't be very fun to navigate.
    The controls are intuitive and work well. I don't like the detection of where you can and can't go when moving objects are involved such as a spinning fan. There was one level where there was a door behind a spinning fan and even when I made it to the right side of the fan (going with the flow) I found it difficult simply because of the detection of where I could or couldn't go which caused me to get knocked back down.
    There is the occasional glitch. I beat one level, but the tick that was awarded was GIGANTIC and covered the whole screen, and disappeared and appeared depending if you were close up to the card or not. Thankfully this bug got rid of itself after closing the app.

LEVEL DESIGN/MECHANICS: Very good, as expected from the creator of Odd Bot Out. Lots of creative ideas using these few simple mechanics. Note that level 27 must be fixed!!!! You have left an extra floor tile which makes the level trivial.

Levels 11, 17, 30, and 31 were my favorites. They had really creative solutions and ideas about rotation and perspective. Unfortunately these were my favorite concepts and they did not get developed much further. A lot of the later levels are timing/reflex oriented which I didn't enjoy as much.
    This is the problem with some later levels. The simplistic appeal of the early levels is gone, and now a lot of levels are very finicky especially now that the physics becomes a lot more 'free'. Level 36, for example, took me a long time to do, not because I couldn't solve it, but because the physics was too unpredictable and my stack of three loose objects fell over suddenly without notice several times.
    Level 46 was also very irritating.

Now on that note, here is my level. It makes use of rotation and perspective, my two favorite concepts of the game. It is called 'Perspective Maze'. Please do not try to do any strange or unusual maneuvers. Never turn the cube while the robot is walking. Always let the robot walk fully to where you want it to. The puzzle can be solved using entirely legal moves; this is a puzzle, not a 'find the loophole' level. If you find a solution please tell me just in case it is an alternate solution I need to get rid of (hopefully there are none).
    It can be solved 100% logically...

[​IMG]

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #27 mr_bez, Mar 24, 2016
    Ooh, nice level. Not finished it yet, having a bit of trouble that it seems to tilt on its own sometimes and the robot starts to slide off. I don't know if that's a balance thing that could be offset by weighting one side more?

Great concept though. I'm working on another level that I'll share later.

I'm a bit surprised that I can edit your level and save changes. If that's possible, I'd at least expect the edited level to be saved in my levels, but I think I'd prefer it received levels were read only.

EDIT: Here's the level I promised!

Attached Files:

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Can I put in a request for a glass block? I would love to be able to create levels where you're inside a structure but can see through to the inside more easily!

9. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Glass block could be cool. You could use it for some interesting stuff.

Also Mr Bez I noticed that too. I'm not sure why it occurs. I don't think it's a balance thing because the rotating things usually don't have that kind of behaviour where they take into account weighting. For a relatively easy fix just hold the draggy bits until you reach the orientation you want, hold it a sec more and it should stay in position.

10. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Just realised glass block has a bit of a problem. It's an isometric grid. Having no see through floor ensures there is never more than one tappable floor at each isometric location on a 2D display (I.e. A single perspective).
    Glass blocks open up the possibility of having more than one accessible/viewable floors in the exact same tap area, which causes bad stuff to happen.

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Holding it longer does seem to work. Seems like it's just a bit of momentum keeping it spinning.

Made it through this time! Let me know what you think of my new level above. It's not massively difficult, but it has a couple of ideas that I've not seen yet in the main levels (although I've not completed them yet).

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #32 mr_bez, Mar 24, 2016
    Yeah, I'm assuming that you can't tap something through a glass block, so you'd still have to leave empty spaces to tap through. Or not, if you want areas that the player can see but not tap. I was considering a tumbler maze where you have to tip the robot (or a ball) all the way through!

13. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Haha, your new level was really fun! Short but sweet. I'm working on a level now, will post soon.

14. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I player the first levels and it's really good. The art is brilliant. The only isue is the controls could be more smooth.

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    One other thing that I've not given much thought to is the name. I've been pronouncing it Meek-o-rama and had no idea how it relates to the game, but I've just realised that maybe it's supposed to be pronounced Mech-o-rama?

Is this just me?

16. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    This issue hadn't occurred to me but I've been calling it Mech-Orama.

17. jmonett

jmonett Active Member

Jul 27, 2015
    #37 jmonett, Mar 24, 2016
    Just love this game the character has great personality if there is a back story to open the game that would be great. Also I think it's level three of you fall in the water I think you have to start the level over maybe there should be a ladder or step to get up

18. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #38 mr_bez, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    One last level for now. Unfortunately the mechanism seems to be slightly unpredictable and occasionally gets stuck. You should be able to complete the level before it does though. I have done multiple times.

Attached Files:

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Ok - I'm officially hooked on the level maker.

Attached Files:

20. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Up and Down was fun, mr bez!!
    Hooked was a nice concept but it was too hard to control the robot, especially around corners.

My next level is coming up soon... watch this space! It's taking a lot of work to get this one right, but hopefully once you see it, you'll think the effort was worth it!