Universal Mekorama (by Martin Magni)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sash-O, May 14, 2016.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It saves them, but you can delete them. I currently have 35 scanned levels and 30 of my own in the editor, and it now occupies 10.3MB.

Here's another for good measure.

Attached Files:

2. So much positive positive praise makes me a very happy indie dev :eek:

It's doable. I'm not sure whether it's going to be a big issue though. We'll see when there are more user-created levels out there.

You can tap "Unknown Author" and type your own name there.

There seems to be a sub reddit at www.reddit.com/r/Mekorama/

Wow! This is really a city, crammed into a 16x16x16 space. Love your mood setting art :) Clever to make you
    go up first
    , unexpected!

It's on the request list. Such a stressful thing to implement though, error prone, and a bug can wipe out every users' progress, making everyone mad at me :eek:

Lol! Made it.

Thanks! Thanks! ;)

You don't need iCloud for this though. Tap "Restore Purchases" on the second device.

Levels are saved until you remove them yourself. However, to save space, the level images/cards are not saved. (That's why the menu scroll can be a bit choppy, the textures are generated on-the-fly.) This means each level file is tiny.

For comparison, the 50 built-in levels are 14 KB, together! Scanning and saving 10,000 levels will consume about the same space as snapping a single photo in the camera app.

My fate, making underrated games. Are my marketing skills lacking?

3. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I'm itching to play the fantastic looking Darkport City but I have a problem.

Saving the image on pad doesn't work when I try to go that route; when I try to use my pad's camera on my iPhone's screen it won't scan it.

Any advice is gratefully received.

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I tend to use the TA app on iPhone:
    * Tap the level card image to view it in higher quality.
    * Zoom in so only the QR code is visible.
    * Take a screenshot.
    * Import it in the Mekorama app.

5. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    You're the Van Gogh of iOS; all you have to do is die and you'll be a hit. ��

Joking apart, see how this goes. I loved the way you did the money side of things and I hope it works out for you. If even 1% of the people who should download and love this game contribute then there should be some well deserved proceeds for you. Just have to get people downloading.

The beauty is that once people are familiar with how the game works they will understand that the more people who play it, the more free content they receive. I've been banging on about it to all my iOS owning mates until they download it to shut me up and they all love it. (And promise they will contribute; some I trust....)

Edit: thanks mr bez; I'll give it a try

6. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    The easiest way for me to import the levels is not to use the camera but to just take a screenshot (press home and power button at the same time) and use the picture.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Got my girlfriend to start playing and we both are paying what we want...and what this beauty deserves. Thank you for a fantastic indie work or interactive art!

8. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Here is my level OOPS!!! ha ha.

Attached Files:

9. JahPE

JahPE Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Do the limbo with Limbo, (the odd not I name xD) and make it through all the traps too!

How low can you go!

image.png

10. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #90 ironsam80, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Fantastic game fantastic!
    Perfect execution, perfect size, perfect atmosphere and social adjustment (with the custom levels).

As for the monetization system even that from my side i find it a little bit ''romantic'' (for the todays lurkers), my target is to buy the first three iaps because is a total honest and fair system (first two already done, going for the third now :))

I don't have any suggestion aside from some ''marketing wise'' in matter for the best of the game and the dev.
    1) Even design wise will be something ''obvious'' and basic, add an arrow or something to let everyone know from the first sight that there are more pages with useful content. Yes you have the page numbering and the scroll down mechanic but if you'll have thousands of downloads (something i wish for) you'll have some potential customers that will stay on the front page (believe it or not). Not big deal in matter of numbers but why not.
    2) All this ''social'' stuff with the custom levels, try to combine it ''in game''. I know that for now is a good mechanism to give added value to your FB and Twitter and to create word of mouth around you, but when the dust will come down let this very good system to run autonomously ''in game''. This gonna give your game longevity and a reason for everyone to come back again and again in to a single destination... your app. You can take notes from other apps that have a search bar, top rating levels and most popular uploaders/creators.
    3) ...as a lot of people here already said find a filter for the already downloaded community levels. With this size of app and with all the creativity you'll find around the world, the target must be for every customer of your app to have tens or hundredths of levels on his/hers devise. A ''community manager'' will be something useful in order not to download again and again stages you already have but you don't remember the name.

As you can see my belief is that aside the very good number and the zero price of the starting levels, the meat, is on the community levels. There is the field even for the ''non spenders'' from time to time to support your effort. Your lever editor is simple gorgeous and i have already saw (even here) some really really good levels (sky is the limit) so you'll must find the way to keep it tidy, easy accessing and HUUGGEEE :).
    Some of my points are for the second step and some maybe for now...

Anyway take a look and of course once more wish you the best for your game!!!
    Great effort and fantastic result!

11. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    This app is amazing! I'm 100% sure this app is going to get editors choice tag. So good! Well done dev!

12. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Here is my first level (it's not hard) and also a question:

I know with free camera on you can rotate freely around ONE axis (and also zoom in and out and move the puzzle around with a two finger tap), but is there any gesture that allows you to rotate around another axis?

As an example, in the built in level Castle Red, it is nearly impossible to see the robot when it is moving in the interior of the castle (I had to tap randomly to see where the robot could actually exit the castle interior). Is there a way to rotate the puzzle so you have a more top down view and see the interior of structures easier?

Attached Files:

13. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Simple but brilliant! Thanks!

14. DaveNL

DaveNL New Member

May 16, 2016
    #94 DaveNL, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    This game is amazing, thanks for all the custom levels.

Here is my first level, hope u like it. (use free camera)

Attached Files:

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Great level Dave-NL, where do you get your name from ha ha.

16. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm laughing at this out of pure amazement. 1000 levels = space of one photo. Excellent! I will definitely check out the subreddit, but a way to filter out already imported levels will be welcome. An idea I had would be to have a "created level" section on the official website or something, you could feature your favorites or just have it feature the highest rated ones (rated from where... dunno) or something. I have no idea how any of that would work but just a thought!

17. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    D@mnnnnnn. Level 28 must be one of the most frustrating and creative levels i have played. Took me almost 150 tries to finish it! Lol!

18. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Nice one DaveNL. I will be sure to play it. Thanks for sharing!

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah! That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well! All nicely articulated in that post by Valentia above! # #

20. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    What kind of sorcery is this?

A 3D-engine, physics-engine, textures, music, sounds, animations, a level editor, 50 cleverly designed levels, a QR-system, all in 6 mb...

Clearly he's a witch of some kind. Grab your pitchforks people!!

Until then, please accept my humble donation, Great Lord of BlÄkulla!

Pedroapan