Universal Meganoid 2017 (by Orangepixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I wish the game kept track of statistics. Especially high scores. I know it has game center in it but it isn't working, and I'd prefer the game itself kept track of these things.

2. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

I'll look into the gamecenter issues.. apparently something else is going wrong if it's failing for more people.

3. Jost

Jost Active Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Germany
    Need to play it..weekends is coming! :)

4. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #64 spizak, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Not sure tbh what to think of it. It's ok, after around 2hrs of playtime i'm kinda not craving playing it - despite nothing being wrong with it. I don't mind it beging hard, i think the jumping and climbing mechanics feel cumbersome, it could use low/high jump as very often you die by jumping bouncing off ceiling and getting sishkekabed on spikes.

Another thing is - the mfi works fine, but has some odd choices - like jumping is on "X" not "A" (industry standard) and i did fell to my death even after hr in because of it. The item selection on "Y" is another odd one - you could have used bumpers to select items. The most annoying for me personally is that jump is also mapped to up on stick/dpad and it's just not good - i play on stick and end up jumping accidentally (again to my death) very often. Dpad is easier to avoid it - but hey - i don't like dpads.

Now - bitching aside - it's a well put together game with some interesting ideas, depending on price £3.99 in uk - it's ok or it could be a lot if you are eiasly frustrated. It feels unpolished to me (i play most of pixel platformers that come out) and bit gimmicky (who needs good level design if we have procedural destruction)- i won't be recomending it.

5. orangepascal

Just a small comment on this, the fact that the game uses procedural-levels does not mean randomly-made-up-from-thin-air. The levels are designed based on hand-made templates, these are then combined into a full level with some extra trickery behind it to make it even more "random" looking. So the levels are designed, and they are designed for this game and the knowledge of items you can find and what the gameplay requires.

You might not like the end-result, and that's fair and I don't plan on changing your mind, but procedure is not gimmicky or a cheap/short-cut for developers. The work that goes into a good procedural-generation is a lot more than creating levels, but the upside is that once you have it running, you can create a LOT more content for the players who do enjoy the game ;)

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    This is the guy who have complained about every game on indie week on DRTC topic, in which he says Bind of Isaac makes he glued on the phone, but earlir on BOI thread he stated that he rated the game 1* on App Store.

So, I think it has more with a certain dislike on mobile in general, in some sense, not your game.

Having said that, I am eager to give your game a try. And I can't wait for Ashworld.

7. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Fair enough. It of course requires work - and things are not patched from bare assets - but if you get level where the teleport is up and there's no way up because the procedural layout failed - than it becomes a gimmick. Any technology used in game is great as long as it works for the game itself and against it. Inhave a dev background and work with both software companies and game companies (mainly leading visual design working on assets), i've worked on number of assets generated and based on algorithms that were using procedural placment, but the above still stands - if it because an issue - it hurts the game.

8. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #68 spizak, Mar 31, 2017
    Haha i look forword to Ashworld, also - not stopping you from spending your own money.

I see i have a fan, appriciate it. Totally man, I've complained about BOI controls based on touch controls, mfi worked fine. You can think what ever you like - me not liking the indie games week it's not me not liking games. I said that the game is ok - also - not sure why me having an opinion on it gives you butt hurt as i spent my money on it, not yours. I didn't get it for free.

Hahah dude, working as artist and designer 19 years i can have opinion. That's all. Pointing issue with things you paid for potentially making people aware of them is bad how? You read comments n ratings on amazon before you buy or just "click and hope for the best"?

Don't like my opinion, wanna buy it? See me here stopping you? You're eager to try - why comment, go click and buy dude. Support dev.

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #69 Dankrio, Mar 31, 2017
    Nah, I just think your posts are toxic in most part and wanted to bring it to attention to the dev. That's all.

Not true. You have said BOI controls on MFI are very floaty (your own words) and you even rated the game 1*. Lol, 1* for BOI on the App Store, according to your post on the thread. And a game that you have stated that made you glued on your phone.

I couldn't care less if you work as an artist or a designer for 19 years. It doesn't give you more or less right to have an opinion. In fact, everyone is entitled to their own: a designer, a fanboy, a casual player, a hardcore player, none of which should be weighted higher or lesser based on status.

But I digress and won't be messing with the thread anymore, unless if is something game-related.

10. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #70 spizak, Mar 31, 2017
    Of course it doesn't matter what i do for work - but it does impact my opinion and perception of things that i closely relate to. I'm not stopping you from having an opinion- but it seems you would stop me.

Also - to calm your wounded heart - BOI has 4 star rating from me now - i'm standing with what i said about the controls being v floaty, but i also reserve a right to change my opinion. Don't you?

It would be hilarious if you would buy Meganoid and not like it (i'm sure you will like it) and not being able to say anything here not to come across as hypocrite. :D

Funny enough i don't even hide - i'm using my real name, so i'm not trolling here to create some kind of commotion - by def i'm not hating anything. I like people disagreeing with me because it means we will design things better next time. Don't take it so personally.

11. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    So.....back on topic.....erm...

....is this more of a metroidvania platformer style game or would you group it in with the more neveau roguelike titles out there? Do upgrades and stats carry over or begin fresh each run? And is exploration essential for progression or is it just a sideline in getting through the level?

Also, I hear the older Meganoid titles were more of a speed run type game - not really my cup of tea - would the same be said here or is the focus more on exploration and taking time?

12. orangepascal

It's a roguelike-platformer, some call this a metroidvania, but I personally don't agree with that - altho no sense in getting into genre wars, cause I'm sure people won't call this a roguelike either :p

you can probably make a fairly good run at the game if you don't explore, but if you want to survive, it's essential. You'll need to find items, devices to improve your skills, etc. if you want to complete the game. There is a small time-limit at 2 minutes spawning security-drones.. still most of the time you can explore without worrying about them, level's are fairly small in that regard.

The original was what's now called a speed-run game, altho there was no such thing back then from what I recall and it certainly wasn't made that way either (you could play it at your own pace, except for the die-hard gamer wanting all stars there was an extra optional element of time)

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. I struggle with speed run type games, just don't have the patience and don't see the enjoyment in them - much prefer a more leisurely paced exploration with some upgrading/equipment unlocks; much more satisfying and gratifying when you figure out how to progress or discover secret areas with your new found abilities. I'll definitely take a look at this one, looks promising. Thanks.

14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    IF i ever reach world 3 again (five times by now)...in short, i'm in a desperate need for a big portion of extra skills or an easier mode.
    Those electric Crawlers are way, way too fast for me. Include some other foes and little place to move - game over - immediately.
    I invested over six hours, and i enjoyed the tough challenge very much, but it looks like i have to give up.

Maybe an easier mode with less and slower Crawlers, no spawning Security Drone after 2 minutes...things like that could motivate me again and give me a real chance to move further. Always a pity not being able to estimate all of the devs hard work and ideas all the way to the end.

15. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    All I ask is for game center to be fixed. Other than that I freaking love this game.

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hack keys (green) allow these options...

17. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Good lord this game gets brutally tough by the 3rd world. I LOVE IT.

18. Distrak

Distrak Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Dev
    World
    I just found this game, and it's pretty great actually :D

Highly recommended!!!

19. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Just made it to world three for the first time! Loving the game!

20. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    One of the best devs out there! I've been getting back into Space Grunts lately (in between Card Thief and DRtC sessions). Really excited to see what this one's like, as it seems like each new game you put out is reflective of what you've learned making all the others.