Universal MEGA MAN MOBILE (By CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I think a good example is this. If MegaMan was pizza, and pizza is your favorite food, the best ports would be like your favorite pizza made by the best pizzeria in town and costs probably $30-40 USD. But that means that these ports are more like the off-brand frozen pizza that has some toppings you'll probably scrape off. It's still pizza, but it just isn't as good as it really could be. Honestly, just emulating the old game files would play smoother with better controls.

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Haha yeah
    My point was there were some things they got right with this one being the continue option etc
    Yes it a bad game overall though and I just hope they fix the frame rate yes the controls are iffy but the original nes controls weren't that great either

3. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Double Standards?

I'd like to point out the double standards of being allowed to complain about this game (by comparing it to the old game) that people are having when they isolated the entire forum for GoF3 for the same reason (people were comparing it and complaining to 1-2). While these ports obviously suck, they should have a separate forum. And, hopefully, like that thread, disappears into the oblivion because both are substandard and should not be accepted by us/the community.

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I think this case is more that people are complaining about the app that contains a "port" or remake of the same game, not a different one. It would be like if instead of releasing GoF3, they released a nice looking app with GoF1-2 on it, but with half the frame rate and sticky controls. I would expect some complaining and comparing of the first GoF1 and GoF2 to the new GoF1-2.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The original NES Mega Man games are widely considered to have some of the tightest, most responsive controls of any games of that era. They were indeed "that great".

As for analogies, this is like buying a copy of a classic movie in an official version released by the studio, only to find that when you try to watch it, it's just a poor camcordered version. Still watchable? Sure, if it's literally the only means you have, you'll still get the rough experience of a classic. Disappointing, baffling, nonsensically bad? Yeah.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The only thing this post is proving is that you still don't understand why we split up the Galaxy on Fire 3 thread even though practically everyone on the TouchArcade staff and mod team explained it to you in increasingly simple terms.

7. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Ehh... I was joking around (this time). Settle the hackles just a bit.

I am peeved about the port though. Sucks. MM2 was my bread and butter.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Alright, yeah...these games are a pile of month old feces left out in the sun. After having a slight Mega Man withdrawal after deleting the games, I reinstalled Mega Man 4 to check out the Toad Man battle Shaun mentioned on Twitter yesterday. If you've played Mega Man before, you'll know Toad Man is one of the most idiotic bosses in all of retro gaming, with the most predictable patterns. If you're unsure just how right Shaun is about the entire set of games having completely ****ed up internal logic, look no further than this boss battle. It's impossible. Did Toad Man suddenly turn into Jason Statham in Crank; hopped up on epinephrine? No thanks. I'm out. It may have taken a couple of days, a slight withdrawal and a total of $12 to figure it out; but I'm definitely on board the "Don't even think of buying these games" train now. Seriously. Just don't.

9. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Were these games part package with the NES classic that just released? Hopefully those become more available soon.

Is it just not possible to pull the games from the original NES cartridges? I guess not or they would just do that wouldn't they?

10. pbogits

pbogits Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Apple gave me my money back.

I've bought a lot of games and some were bad some good, but I've never asked for a refund until now.

I hope if enough people do it, it will send a message to capcom.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Mega Man 2's the only one on the NES Classic Edition.

Of course they could pull the old games, stick 'em in an emulator shell like the old iOS SEGA games and release them with minimal effort, but seriously...who knows what Capcom was thinking? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    actually they are NOT thinking... they're stoned!!! #

13. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Assuming what Capcom told the developer of the previous iOS Mega Man 2 about losing the source code for the original games is true, Capcom had four options here:

1) Recode the games more or less from scratch, as they did with the previous iOS Mega Man 2 and the old flip-phone versions. Probably the costliest option up-front, and it would have to be done with a steady hand to avoid ending up with a completely inaccurate result.

2) Straight emulation. Benefits here are that it's low-cost and fairly low-effort so long as they can find an iOS-compatible emulator to license. As long as the emulator is good, the games would be very accurate to the source. Downsides are that it would be difficult to modify the games in any way (at the very least they would need to remove any text that refers to being licensed by Nintendo and such), that they would have to pay for the emulator, and that if future iOS versions break that emulator, they are at the mercy of whoever coded it to fix it up.

3) Use the Eclipse Engine Legacy versions. The pros here are that the engine is easily adaptable to other platforms, the games are extremely accurate to the source and also easy enough to modify that they could make any necessary or desired changes. The Engine should run well enough on modern devices, though it would need some tweaks as it has primarily been on button-based platforms up until now. The big downside for Capcom? They would have to pay Digital Eclipse to license the engine and work on porting it to iOS, and if any future versions of iOS broke it, DE is the only dev that could fix it.

4) Use the existing flip-phone versions that were made from scratch about 10 years ago, with a few tweaks. This is relatively low-effort, and since the games were in-house productions, no messy licensing. The source code is still maintained, so making changes is easy, and updating can happen from inside Capcom without having to involve any specific outside parties. The downside is that the flip-phone ports are inaccurate on a fundamental level, and their performance is built around 10-year old mobile hardware. Worse still, the game's logic is tied to the framerate on these versions. Cranking up the framerate causes numerous additional inaccuracies. Probably the cheapest option of the four from Capcom's standpoint, though.

Anyone who's been around the block with the flip-phone versions and has beaten these new iOS versions will know that Capcom certainly went with option 4 here. Sprites that only existed in those 2007 ports are in these iOS ports, and the alterations to the games mirror those of the versions designed to run on your old Ericsson. This was literally the worst option for the players, presented the least amount of risk for Capcom, but as we're seeing, for some people, they're good enough. Oh well. It would have been nice to have the Legacy versions on my phone, but it's not like I don't carry my 3DS with me everywhere anyway.

14. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Capcom just needs to port the Battle Network games. These could operate well with a new touch interface. They could even make a new entry tainted with hot garbage freemium mechanics. Anything but this

15. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I found it, thanks.

There isn't a video on the purchase page so I went to YouTube, but all of the videos on YouTube seem to be the Android version (which runs much better than the iOS version, if the videos say anything).

I'm going to make a random guess that perhaps that's why the ports aren't very good. Most likely the guys who were working on the port were using an android device as a reference rather than an iOS device. Probably just altered some of the code so they could be installed on iOS but didn't bother optimizing any of the ports.

Just a guess though, but I'm guessing those programmers got in big trouble!

16. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #76 Intendro, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    What happens? I'm imagining him hopping around like crazy and randomly spamming his screen-hitting attack nonstop.
    #

(Normally he stands there and you shoot him, which cancels his unavoidable attack and causes him to try to jump on you, and you just keep repeating this which makes him one of the easiest bosses ever.)

Anyone got a video of the Toad Man fight? I want to see it. Sounds like they really messed it up. #

17. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    It's possible to beat toad man in mega man 4 mobile...there some pattern also...if you shoot twice the toad man will jump forward you...if you no shoot at all the toad man will hands up to call rain attack...that's timing you have to run forward the toad man when hands up and shoot twice than the toad man will jump forward you and just repeat this pattern...

18. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    #78 toofinedog, Jan 7, 2017
    After reading the reviews and all these posts, I was thinking, nope not going to even try it, but one game is only $2 which is worth the risk to try a game (think the cost of an old school rental or Redbox), and I love Mega Man. I went ahead and got Mega Man 3 which is my favorite from the classic series. Although the frame rate is indeed crap, I put the speed setting to high at the beginning of Top Man's stage after having beaten Magnet Man and Hard Man on the regular speed. The game is definitely a lot more playable than what I have read and expected. The touch controls are a little painful during hardcore platforming areas (disappearing blocks over pits), but the game is very forgiving in the easier mode with infinite lives and multiple checkpoints. I also have the buster set to manual, as I have found I don't really need the rapid fire setting of auto. Perhaps it's my experience with less-than-stellar Mega Man ports (the previous Mega Man 2 iOS, Mega Man X iOS, and Mega Man 3 for the Blackberry) that all the flaws don't kill the nostalgia and experience for me, but I don't feel like I wasted my two dollars. I probably won't get 1, 2, 4, 5, or 6, but that's mainly because I have played them in other console iterations in the past and either played them to death and/or just don't really like them as much as 3. I say if you like Mega Man, and you don't mind an imperfect experience, get your favorite one, but don't fork over $12 to Capcom just to show your support, because if you do, you're just enabling a lazy company to continue to produce subpar versions of classic games. Yes, I know I'm a little guilty of that having purchased the previous iOS MMs, but I enjoy having the experience on mobile without having to dig out my SNES (with MMX 1 & 2) or GameCube (with the MM anniversary collection) from storage.

Edit: Regarding the controls, although virtual controls can be difficult, I have had no issue executing the slide (down + jump) or jumping at an angle to grab a ladder in one fluid motion.

19. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #79 nkx, Jan 7, 2017
    I just beat mega man 5 and I enjoyed it very much besides the limitations of the frame rate it was still playable for me! I might get 6 because I never played that one is it any good?

Also how is 2 on this is it playable?

Edit: I know I shouldn't be supporting but I love megaman and this is the only way I can get my MM fix. I want to buy one more which 1 should I get? I thinking 6 because I never played that before

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    That's why the entertainment industry is so ####ed up, they can release sh*t and we still eat it. I'm a fan of raising personal standards and not getting comfy with that crap they throw at us. Because over time, we get used to everything. Sadly.