Universal MEGA MAN MOBILE (By CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jazzthrasher

Jazzthrasher Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Creative Director
    Münster (GER)
    Last week at the capcom headquater: Hey guys let's make some big bucks of cash while jumping on the nintendo mobile hype train with absolutly no investment!!!

Next week at the capcom headquater: We gave our best, but the mobile gaming market does not work for us. We want to thank you for your support, but we are going back to our main investments in the console markets.

2. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Can someone please post a video of the "lagginess" and or otherwise horrible experience this is on iOS? I tried to find an iOS version on YouTube but most of those videos seem pretty decent, which either means they are using the Android version or there is a problem with people's expectations.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm sort of beside myself at how many people are sticking up for these ports.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The actual games are broken, too. Some examples:

- Enemies don't respawn the way they're supposed to. In the proper Mega Man 2, for example, it's vital to kill the Lightning Lords in Air Man's stage with a single volley of shots in time to jump to the cloud before it moves past. Otherwise, the enemy respawns and you have to do it again. Here? You can take as many passes as you need, the enemy won't respawn.

- Mega Man's hit detection is off, and so is his kick-back from damage. This makes the games easier in some ways since you're less likely to fall off a platform from being hit (indeed you don't even need to kill those Lightning Lords, touching them will damage you but you won't fall off the cloud), but believe it or not, that kick-back is there for the player's benefit. It throws you away from whatever damaged you so that, when combined with the brief invincibility window, you're less likely to get cheaply nudged to death.

-Enemy movement is off. For example, there is a Met in Crash Man's stage perched on one of three single blocks. You can't lure him into shooting without jumping to the second block, which puts you at risk of falling to the lower area if you're hit. So you need to jump, jump back, and shoot before the Met puts his helmet down again. One smooth motion. In the mobile version, if you lure him, he will actually run across the gap to the second block, allowing you to safely pick him off from the safety of the ladder.

These games were precisely designed, and while it might seem like these are small changes, they add up to a very different, and less enjoyable, experience. Are they playable? Sure. But just because something is playable, it doesn't mean it ought to be played.

Capcom could have and should have done better. There's no excuse for these flip-phone grade ports in 2017. Enjoy them if you can, but if you happily accept this level of effort, there's no incentive for Capcom to ever do any better.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What's insane to me about all this is the Mega Man games ran flawlessly in all those secret NES emulators that used to pop up on the App Store back in the iPhone 3G and 3GS days. There's just no excuse here.

6. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I agree 100 percent with your review after watching videos of the collect series this is embarrassing attempt from capcom.
    I am enjoying mega man 5 though it ain't perfect but I have no other device to play one of my fav games. I'm almost done it too.

I won't be buying the rest unless they fix these.

7. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    My thoughts exactly.

8. Grantlionheart

Sep 20, 2016
    The release video itself shows how laggy and shit these ports are and people are confirming its the same when in game so I don't really see how you need more evidence.

9. Grantlionheart

Sep 20, 2016
    One of the guys who did the last port of MM2 said exactly that, It was a feature phone ground up approximation of the original game that used assets from the Internet. And going from the quality of the current ports it's hard to argue that these are anything but the same thing albeit with possibly reacquired assets. The saddest part is they didn't add anything new feature wise so they should have just ported an emulator and it would have all been peachy.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I thought it was just me? :p

11. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm almost finding myself wanting to drop 2 bucks on it just to see how BAD it is.

12. zohaali146

zohaali146 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks for your reply, because I was about to making my mind of purchasing the game but changed my mind after reading your reply

13. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Dear god I still want Mega Man 4 so so bad. I can't stop staring at it despite knowing how god awful it all really is and how nobody should support such a situation. Capcom is banking on the ignorant and the nostalgically curious like us to just buy it anyways....damn it. How could you possibly mess this up in this day and age

14. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    THIS!
    too bad Capcom, your cash-in and greed seem to have backlashed

15. Nightxx

Nightxx Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I bought mm3 since its my favorite one and i don't regret getting it... It was actually a good effort far from perfect but good... And with regard to frame rate, i think that was intentional hence the reason they added higher run speeds... It ran okay on my iPhone 6 iOS8 and buttons was responsive...

People are just over reacting... Try it yourself and don't take anyones words for it...

At least CAPCOM has presence here unlike some other company...

16. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    my big question is this something that can be fixed or are the problems to big to fix without a complete redo (which we know will take ages for capcom see MHFU)?... I love the Ace Attorney ports just wish this had that quality

17. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    It's so much easier to progress and beat that's for sure I've almost finished part 6
    All the settings and options etc are great I love that part of it

18. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #58 metalwastebasket, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    I take back what I said. Add me to the "WHAT IN THE ****ING **** WERE YOU THINKING, CAPCOM!?!?" club. Rage deleted all the games after I spent 20 minutes trying to deal with the ****ing springs on Plant Man's level in Mega Man 6. What the hell is this shit? The controls are abysmal. Abysmal! ABYSMAL!!!

19. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    So you're saying they made some really nice apps that happen to contain really bad versions of some really good games. :)

20. Klonis

Klonis Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Out of curiosity i purchased Megaman mobile for my iphone 5S.The game runs very good and i don't understand all this hate around internet.If Megaman Collection run better on consoles or PC that not means that this port is garbage.
    I enjoy this game on my iphone and i want to buy all Megaman titles on iOS!!!