Universal MEGA MAN MOBILE (By CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I played the megaman 2 port that came out years ago on iOS and thought it was perfectly fine. These are worse than that? How? It's a freaking NES game, Iv emulated PlayStation games on mobile and they can't get NES games right?

2. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    The beeline version has been pulled.

3. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Great way to waste 2$, highly recommend if you love throwing money in the trash! 5/5!

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    obviously... it was available last night.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just finished off Mega Man 2. While not the greatest version of the game, they're all playable...as "MOBILE" versions of the classic games. The control complaints I feel are a little absurd and this is coming from someone who's played MM2 countless times on console and couldn't even finish a single level of the Beeline version. They're also very stable games and I haven't had a single crash. Not sure which hardware Shaun's playing on.

Could these ports have been better? Absolutely. While I don't agree with the comments made about the issues I just mentioned, I do agree with everything else said about the games, both here and in Shaun's review. We could have had definitive versions of insanely good games, but as far as I'm concerned, we just have semi-alright versions. Do I think they all deserve 1 star though? Absolutely not. It says a lot when poor ports run rings around most other mobile platformers. IMO, these games are more deserving of a 3 star rating.

6. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    With all due respect - what do you mean by "as MOBILE version of the classic games"? I mean seriously, is mobile the latrine of gaming industry? just because we get some ports on mobile, we should consider acceptable almost all the crap that has been and still is ported here -- and should we accept everything, even as worse as Shaun says in his review these games are, just because they're "playable"? No harm intended

7. Ghulam_Jewel

Ghulam_Jewel Member

Jan 2, 2017
    There seems to be a lot of negative feedback. Pretty sure they could of done a better port job!

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Yea I don't accept the whole "well, for a mobile game..." thing. I expect console quality controls and polish from my mobile games to a reasonable level. It's just as capable of a system relatively speaking. Like if you crap in my hand I wouldn't say, "well for a turd it's ok, so I'm cool with it."

I emulated perfect ports of all these games on my Celeron processor PC 15 years ago or more easily and it was flawless. No excuse for now on any format.

9. gaberaph

gaberaph Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    With some major development fails through the years (Godus, Bioshock...) I've been amused, shocked and absolutely amazed at what some devs and companies have put out.

The Megaman releases have left me speechless! So that's something I suppose...

10. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #30 metalwastebasket, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Figured I best make an alternative account for when I can't access my regular account. >_>

By that statement I just simply meant that these games are actually built from the ground up for mobile. They're not "ports" per se. Look, that's not an excuse for them being poor efforts, but at least they give you A (not THE) Mega Man experience on mobile. Would have I loved the authentic experience? Of course! But that doesn't mean that these games are void of any entertainment.

Look...

[​IMG]

This is proof that the games are playable, and God forbid I actually enjoyed playing through this version of Mega Man 2.

EDIT: It just baffles me that no one's ever satisfied with anything. Capcom got shit for not prioritizing the fact that you had to buy the rest of Apollo Justice in the app description, but the following being right at the top of Mega Man's app description means nothing?

"The gameplay and difficulty have been optimized for smartphones so that certain elements will differ from the original game."

They're being EXTREMELY transparent with what these games are between that statement and naming the games MEGA MAN MOBILE. Had these games simply been named Mega Man 1 to 6 or Mega Man Legacy Collection (like the 3DS version), believe me...I'd be the first person protesting these games.

11. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #31 nkx, Jan 5, 2017
    I bought MM5 it is my favourite it's not great but playable. The rest I'm going to wait on until a patch or just won't buy. The only thing that help is increase the game speed.

The frame rate is bad but manageable on megaman 5. I just beat starman on normal speed.

The best way to play is high speed during main level then normal speed on boss level

12. FRnchFRy

FRnchFRy Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I just want to know how CAPCOM can release such a fantastic, near flawless (imo) port of MHFU and then crash and burn so horribly with these ports. I'm no dev but I figure it should be a bit easier. Maybe they just got lazy, but I don't see a giant like CAPCOM cutting corners like that with such an iconic title (definitely more so than the MH series.) I feel like I want to find an excuse for why this turned out so bad but I can't find one. It boggles my mind how CAPCOM can put out such a disgraceful piece of junk. (Disclaimer: I didn't buy any of these Mega Man ports due to the review so I'm just assuming they're as bad as the review says they are.)

13. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #33 Intendro, Jan 5, 2017
    "The gameplay and difficulty" is not the frame rate.

And even so, "mobile" does not mean "port with bad un-smooth frame rate."
    It's not right.

And it is certainly not "optimized for mobile."
    It looks quite unoptimized.

What's so surprising about people not being satisfied with this?

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, it sounds like these would be okay ports for my first flip-phone. Not for the high end mini computer in my pocket now. Man, I was hoping for the definitive versions of these in 6 apps or better yet, in one. Maybe next time Capcom will get it right with whoever they hire to do these.

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I bought 3 and 6 right off but now will wait to see what they say
    Hoping there is some fixes coming but it's capcom so I doubt it
    For now if you put speed on high it's doable
    The actual games are there and all that
    Sad thing is you can see how bad ass it could be if it had that polish and a bit of smoothness to it

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Agreed. I'm going to wait on the rest I just bought five because it was one my favs

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The fact that most of the people not satisfied with this haven't even played the game? :p

Hate to break it to ya, but Capcom messing with the speed of the game is actually part of the "gameplay".

Either way; the masses have made up their minds, the games are not featured and are not charting...so yeah, the damage has been done. What's the use in me defending them? All that matters to me is I have 'em all, dig 'em all and intend to finish them all. :)

18. Hockey18

Hockey18 New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Meh

This game should not have been difficult to port.. C'mon CAPCOM get it right!

19. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #39 Intendro, Jan 5, 2017
    It's not just running at a different speed. The number of frames aren't enough to run smoothly. It looks awful.

It could run at a different speed without looking like it's missing frames and trying to work on a PC that doesn't meet the system requirements.

And anyway, shouldn't slowing it down result in more frames, not less?

In this case, I think I can safely say that I don't need to play it to complain about the problem: the frame rate in videos is bad.
    I can see it looks like it isn't running correctly.
    For one thing, the background is noticeably skipping frames as they move, instead of scrolling as smoothly as the very old original games. It makes no sense.
    I don't really need to press left and right and jump around to experience that directly.

20. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Don't you think the games are not featured, because the game doesn't meet certain quality levels? This is a week with pretty much no high profile releases. You're allowed to like them, but defending them is weird. With a subpar port like this it's a lose-lose situation. We have a game that's not up to standards and Capcom isn't going to make the amount of money they expect to make, cause no one's buying it.