Mega Jump - by Get Set Games - FREE (v2.0.9 - Gamecenter, New Levels)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 6, 2010.

1. Nejibana

Nejibana Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    #421 Nejibana, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    I dont think the boosts are gone.
    Theyre just not in the 1st level.

And you dont need to use points on stages/levels, you just need to beat the previous one. then its unlocked. :)).

So far so good update! Reignited my goal to go higher!

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah the level select is great, definitely makes me want to keep going.

Game just quit on me though, finished a jump and clicked on Extras: booted back to the springboard.

3. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    #423 TiltMyTouch, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    I hope I'm not the only one that wishes Apple let you un-update an app.

EDIT: And apparently, now getting coins is super worthless, because TEN is worth ONE "Mega Point". And Mega Points are now the things that get you unlockables. And without the blasts, it's so hard to match my previous highs cores.

I got this game during its introductory free promotion, so unless the developer says otherwise about the recent updates, I'm just gonna go ahead and delete. It'll save 23.2 MB, too.

4. akheron

akheron Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    I feel that the new update has made it super easy to get extremely high scores. Feel like less of a challenge.

5. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Awesome update, but I do think the items are over-priced.

EDIT: 300th post :)

6. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    What are you talking about? The fireball boosts just don't appear in the first stage. They've made it so that the boosts appear in later levels so that each level has something new to it.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah the blasts are still in, I've had 4 in a single stage before. Red coins are also saved for later levels, as are different types of platforms and those coins that move away from the player.

8. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback, both positive and constructive. This was a huge update, so it's not surprising that some players might find few of the changes not to their liking, but overall, most people seem to like what we've added.

I'll cover a few questions below:

This hasn't changed - after we switched from direct purchase of characters to the use of MP quite a while back, 100 coins has always translated to 10MP. We are always looking to balance the MP cost of different items in the game based on your feedback, as well as the average amount of MP that people are collecting, so that it is challenging enough to be something to work towards, but not frustrating.

Yes, this is how they have been implemented in this update. People do miss the fireballs in the first stage though, and we're listening to what people are saying!

Just out of interest, what stage have you managed to reach Ahkeron? We did a lot of work to balance the difficulty, so that the first stage is easier than it used to be, but the difficulty increases gradually with each stage. We expect that scores will be slightly higher on average because of the easier first stage, but it should provide more challenge in later stages. Some people are still having difficulty even with the first stage in the latest update, and we'll continue to tweak the difficulty with each update to try and find a sweet spot.

Save stars are like disposable safety-nets. You can collect and use as many as you like, and use several in one game if you need to. We wanted to balance the Save Stars so that:

1) You could use as many as you wanted in a game, if you needed the help, and were making good progress
    2) They wouldn't cost too much MP, so that they weren't prohibitive to get but that...
    3) They weren't too easy to get, so that the game became too easy (having the game basically play itself as Silverdraken pointed out) - you'll need to think twice about using one

Save stars are completely optional, of course, and it's why we have two leaderboards, one for players who use Save Stars, and one for players who don't. There are a lot of ways they could work, but we felt that having them be collectable and "stackable" (in other words you can have more than one, and use more than one during a game) gives players more options.

Again, thanks for the comments, and keep them coming - it's what helps us make better decisions, so that we can keep delivering better and better updates, and we're already working on the next update!

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @Nickfury
    Oh, making separate leaderboards for those that use and don't use Save Stars is EXTRA Classy! I take back any disses implied for trying to keep the leaderboards honest. :D

10. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    ...What the? Seriously? There might've been a bug on mine then, there's no way me or my friends have played this game long enough for me to have 1000+ MP. Unless you guys had some free MP promo or something.

Well how much MP do you need for a fireball? Or is there different points needed for the red one, and then the blue one? These two features are all I need, like I said earlier my friends and I really don't play jump games and the only reason we played this over Doodle Jump is that this had the fireballs. They were super fun. So I guess I'll push through and play until I can unlock something I already had before, unless the MP required is ridiculous.

11. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    If you can complete a stage, you'll get around 80MP, and that's without magnet powerups etc. Complete a stage (or the equivalent) 12 or so times and you'll have over 1000MP, so it doesn't take long to build up, and if you can complete more than one stage at a time, and can grab the magnet powerup and blue fireball, then you should be able to collect MP much more quickly.

The fireballs are already unlocked, so you don't need MP to unlock them. The red fireball appears in Stage 2 and onwards, and the Blue one in Stage 3 and onwards.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Cool enough, it will help distinguish the stages and at least was not, as I feared, only available via the Save Stars! :)

13. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    And the cost to unlock Levels 2 and 3 are?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think you just need to get to them (jump to the end of the previous stage).

I've unlocked the 2nd stage this way and I'm sure it will be the same if I get far enough in the 2nd stage to access the 3rd.

15. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Okay cool, guess Mega Jump will be staying on my device then.

16. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    You can buy it for a huge ammount of MP, or.. you can get to 80kish score, which sends you to the next stage, unlocking it.

That has actually made it easier for every stage to be unlocked, and generally speaking I love the gameplay tweaks that have been done.. but

I think the MP cost of *everything* is absurdly high. How long do you want people to grind the game just to get *that* extra character? This really reminds me of Minigore, and that's never a good thing D:

I think if you look at doodle jump and its overall success is the fact that they keep adding and adding stuff, like Pocket God, yet everything remains free... ofc, you could argue the level of polishof this game as a valid point, pretty much the reason why I play this over DJ, BUT, if you tell the people "you can get MP and not buy it" then put the MP cost so high that the only way to get everything other than playing this 24/7 is by buying the MPs themselves, then you're making extra money out of people's frustration, which is never a good thing.

My 2 cents, I enjoy the game a lot, but really...

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    They could always just balance it out. Give us more lower MP stuff but keep a few nice high ones to tempt people into spending money.

18. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    @nickfury- please reply to this. I made a long post 2 pages back that basically shows that I care about this game. I just want to know if you are considering dropping the price of everything (or at least characters) in terms of megapoints. Maybe you could give us two different types of characters to start out with? And then my other question is how much points do you have to get to advance to the next stage? Sometimes for me its around 80,000 and other times its 100,000.

19. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    We already have two characters to start out with. The red guy and the blue guy.

Anyways, I just unlocked L2 and L3 for the fireballs, and that's all I needed. Powerups do seem to occur less frequently, but oh well.

20. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I can't give definite answers about what will or won't be in an upcoming update at this stage, but we are listening to what people are saying about the MP cost of items, and there may be some room to tweak the values.

As for the number of points you can get in a stage, it varies depending on what you do during a stage - for instance you get more points for bouncing on enemies, or for destroying obstacles with the shield, but yes, you can expect to get between 80,000 to 100,000 per stage. The items, enemies and coins in a level are random, so it won't be exactly the same every time.