Mega Jump - by Get Set Games - FREE (v2.0.9 - Gamecenter, New Levels)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 6, 2010.

1. pocketgodboy

pocketgodboy Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I know but I actually like pocketgod.

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

ooh. ouch again.

3. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

I really hope this doesn't go the same way as a few other examples that spring to mind; Astro Ranch and Chalkboard Stunts. I could be completely wrong, but a small part of me is hoping that the "Free for a limited time" text will disappear and this app will return to it's original price.

I dread the fact that Get Set suddenly springs a "Pro/Premium/etc..." version upon us and completely devalues the product for those who bought the original at the outset. I can understand that most developers are out to make money, it's the driving force that keeps improving the standard, but, after the TAG/Manta Research fiasco, I do think that sometimes that push for $$$ can be a little too much for some to stomach.
    Mega Jump is a very coherent and upbeat game that really nails that "one more go" factor for me and many others - I hope business decisions don't spoil that.

On a separate note, and a genuine question, does anyone know if buying one of the characters will automatically unlock the other? Or is it a case of paying money only each and in truth, only receiving a new icon to show for it?:confused:

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Free for today only apparently means for many days since it has been there for a few days so far.

Unlockable = pay in the extras menu. Unlockable to ME would mean - earn x number of in game coins and get a new character (aka kills in minigore). This is DLC by NO other name since to unlock you need REAL money.

I was loving this game and actually would be content to just keep playing the original level (since I paid for it) but don't mislead the consumer. Use appropriate language and it won't be as annoying and untrue.

Edit your description to portray - free from now on - please consider DLC if you like the game; and remove the words unlockable until they are tied to an in game achievement (earn 5,000 coins, I don't care, just something from WITHIN the game to "unlock" them).

As it stands now - your promise of future "unlockables" will only cost me more REAL money not in game coins.

5. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    The point I forgot to say in my post.

6. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    #206 nickfury, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
    Just to clear that up - the game is definitely only free for a limited time and will go back to regular price after this promotion.

As I mentioned before we will be expanding on the optional/extra content, and yes that will mean the ability to collect coins and use those for certain things :) As of the latest update, the game is already keeping track of your coins (you may have noticed some cryptic messages from us about that in various places over the last week), so expect to be rewarded for the time you've already put in to the game. :)

If you don't want to get the new characters right away, that's fine, and in any case there will be ongoing new free content directly enhancing gameplay in just about all of our upcoming updates, alongside the optional extras.

We're passionate about Mega Jump, and our main focus is making it as fun as possible, and we're sure you'll see that in our coming updates. There's a new one right around the corner!

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

so you mean theyll be going free? ;)

8. akheron

akheron Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    I've been thinking about getting this one along with a few other games. Definitely happy to pick it up for free! Thanks devs! I don't think I'll pay for any of the extra characters but if there's game content dlc in the future I might.

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think the game is fun and could care less about them charging for a different skinned toon . . . except for my 5 year old asking about it enough to be annoying.

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    See that is how I read that too. Which doesn't regain any faith I may have lost.

But as I said, I am enjoying the game I purchased, don't really need to add just a skin to that. I did notice the coins now accumulating, so if they are used for a true unlockable great, if not, well I am still liking what I have already.

11. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Unfair. Please, devs, if you're gonna make a game free, at least give the people who purchased it something extra.

12. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Grow up.

13. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    #213 red12355, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
    This game is pretty much "Machiavelli's Ascent" with slightly different powerups. Heck, even the increasing octive "chimes" when you hit an object is the same. Not that that's a bad thing though, I much prefer this kind of gameplay over doodlejump.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    And that was a copy of Scarecrow?

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Elf by Matmi and another seasonal game with a jumping polar bear are similar games. So what?

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

yeah, so what? i mean, if the game is exponentially better than what it is 'copying', then what's to moan about?

EDIT: i know you're not moaning.

17. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I think, of it's kind... is the best... by far.

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    If the extra skins had special abilities, that would be the unfair move to those who bought it for a dollar. I don't see the harm in an aesthetic upgrade to those who wish to buy it.

Now, if they start going in the route of making you buy stuff that would improve your run, that is when things could get messy.

About this coin accumulation, where do you see how many you have in total?

19. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    At the end when you die

20. Nejibana

Nejibana Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    what a wild ride reading all the recent issues.