iPad Meet Orba

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kieffer Bros., Nov 18, 2009.

1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    The good: The visuals, like with all Kieffer Bros. games, are absolutely top-notch! :)
    The bad: The gameplay and concept is very very basic, to say the least. I was playing games like this in Flash about 10 years ago, and nothing new has been brought to this particular table, which is a pity. :(

2. RagerX

RagerX Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I had that problem with a few free apps this morning. They all just worked for me a few minutes ago.

3. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I've long since chosen Lexic as my on-board word finding game. And just last night, I played a few levels of Enso-dot. So this is awesome news.

I just played Orba for a few minutes. The graphics are, of course, excellent. The gameplay is simple, subtle and serenely relaxing. The one thing I'll mention is that, while the game itself is fun to play, I didn't feel all that challenged or compelled. Personally, I'm not usually a high score chaser. I rather like to move toward achievements. I see there is an area for achievements, and while it's fun to be surprised, it doesn't really give me anything to aim for. I'd love to see an achievement system set up like Lexic's (although I realize it might be difficult based on the much simpler gameplay).

At any rate, this is one of those nice little games you can jump right into, but with top notch graphics and implementation. This is one of those games Apple could include on the springboard.

4. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Same, can't download it ><

5. Kieffer Bros.

Kieffer Bros. Well-Known Member

#25 Kieffer Bros., Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Thank you everyone for the feedback! We really appreciate your thoughts.

The simplicity of Orba may be a downside for some, but it was meant more for passing the time than training your brain. Nevertheless, it can get quite challenging trying to beat your top score.

Like Lexic and Hyper Puck, Orba has a bright future. Lexic started out with just one game mode—no Feats, and no unlockables. A year later, it's bursting-at-the-seams with four unique play modes and a ton of unlockable content. (We've even got three more Feats, a tap-to-select ability, and weekly/monthly leader boards coming in a week or two.) Pardon the plug. :)

This method of development gives us the ability to cater our games to you. Doesn't have such a big bang in the beginning, but long-term, it ensures a better brand. That's why we value your feedback so much!

And although, I can't promise anything specific yet, rest assured we are dedicated to making our games the best they can be.

Also, Orba does save your place. You can put your phone to sleep, hit the home button, or answer a phone call, and Orba will save your progress.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback! We really appreciate your willingness to send us your thoughts. Hope you all continue to enjoy Orba!

Again, our ears are always open. So feel free to send us your suggestions and questions any time!

6. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I just tried to download Orba and it says its incompatible with my 1st gen ipod Touch. I'd like to try it out so I'll download on my wifes iphone tonight. The game looks interesting!

Do you think you'll reconsider your strategy of building the game up over a lot of updates now that Apple has changed their policy on the new releases list? I have been doing the same with my game but its less attractive now that you don't get any extra exposure for a big update.

7. ashok

ashok Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Indie game developer
    Los Angeles, California.
    congrats on getting it published.

Seems to be a great game.

couldn't download it. it says it's not compatible with iPod touch first gen.

8. GordLacey

GordLacey Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Ah, so should I wait to buy Lexic, or get it now? Will it be a free update (sorry, fairly new to the iPhone scene).

9. Kieffer Bros.

Yes, the update for Lexic will be completely free!

10. Kieffer Bros.

#30 Kieffer Bros., Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Sorry Greg and ashok, about the compatibility issues. The processor in the 1st gen iPod touch seems to be just a bit too slow. We're looking into making it compatible, but no promises as of yet. Fingers crossed!

And to address the updates question. The brief visibility was more of an added benefit to something that we have been doing—improving our games with updates. Now that this is no longer an extra benefit, our core reasons of updating our apps still remains.

Thanks for your feedback!

11. thievesandtigers

thievesandtigers Active Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I downloaded this yesterday and in one day it's become my favorite zone out relaxing game. I love how simple and colorful it is. Thanks!

12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Kieffer Bros. games are awesome.

/dld

13. echopoint

echopoint Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I downloading this game, and it's fantastic! At first it seems quite easy, but it gets very difficult fast. A great concept, and really addictive. The art style is simple, but very colorful, and in one word- brilliant!

Great job!

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have to be honest here, Kieifer Bros., I saw Orba, thought it looked nice but, c'mon, it's yet another Same Game, maybe some cool design but I'm not seeing the point. Free? Sure, what the heck.

DANG! Not able to put my finger on exactly WHY but this is a very cool take on the Same Game! Ilove the extras like the "Clearing a Color" Bonus so that other than merely trying to completely clear a level and or get as big a grouping as possible, if you can completely eliminate a color from a level there is a decent bonus in it for ya. :)

I will now have to look into Lexic as you've clearly proven you guys know how to make a polished product.

15. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I have exactly the same thoughts as you. I thought the game would just be an insanely polished version of Same Game, but I ended up playing it all through my hour long bus journey this morning! So addictive, so colourful, so great! :)

16. Kieffer Bros.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

We're really glad you gave Orba a try and even more glad that you're enjoying it! After adding the Quest mode to Lexic, we wanted to take a step back and work on something a bit more simple. And hence, Orba.

17. earendil311

earendil311 Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Very polished match 3 color game. Nice. Thanks!

18. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I played a few rounds but it doesn't seem to end. As soon as I run out of moves a fresh wave of orbs fall down. I just smashed (okay not that rough but you get the idea) anywhere on the screen... and the game still doesn't end.

19. Kieffer Bros.

Orba's average game time it a bit longer than your usual marbles game. Eventually, there are just too many colors on the board to continue, and it's game over. You can get quite a ways in a game by just tapping randomly on the screen, but at the end, your score won't be so impressive.

Thanks for your feedback. This gives us a lot to think about when working on the next update!

20. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    As soon as I found out you guys made this game, it was an immediate download for me. Lexic is my favorite word game and I know you will keep on delivering nothing but quality. Hope you keep coming up with new apps.