Universal Mech Pilot - (by Rocking Pocket Games) Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#81 Sanuku, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Ahhh you only had one scout left on the last try when you died :) If you use all the electro to upgrade your health I can make it through the first level after only 2 tries.

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I had to pull back the first update because of a bug in the database rendering.
    As a result I'm resubmitting with dodging added too!

4. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Dude come on!
    Did you even see the movie? You know who Sanuku is? He played thousands of games and you're giving him advice?! On that third try you could see the FEAR in his walk, he kept shooting stuff that weren't there, ducking around corners, I'm sure he didn't have a good time.:(

In the movie you can clearly see the graphics are not top notch, to say the least, BTW.

For all those people who think I'm just saying mean or false things think again!
    I believe in devs and I believe great updates can make poor games superior, take the second update on Lostwinds, the controls were SWEET afterwards!

I didn't ask Apple for my 0.99 I believe in giving people a try, but having the devs give advice to people and how to pass the FIRST (suppose to be tutorial) level is crazy!

It's not a hard game right now it's just the impossible game :)
    but seriously this game needs an update DESPERATELY!

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #85 RPGGuy, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    I made the game and have played it thousands of times so yeah I'm qualified to give him advice. I see he made some progress after upgrading a few times and that is how the game was designed. It is meant to be challenging and you're meant to practice, harvest and keep pushing forward. Have you played Dark Souls? Same idea.

Anyways in the next update I've removed the first mech since people get hung up on there. You can also dodge by swiping down at the right time.

As for graphics, take a look at the new MechWarrior game that just came out. Mech Pilot looks more like their CGI intro! It took them 3 years to make something that looks like this: http://www.technologytell.com/apple/files/2012/09/mechwarrior_01.png And they are charging $10 for it.

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Here are some screenshots from the upcoming iPhone 5 update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Looks great;)

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I thought about having little guys running around and it would be fun but decided against it because they would be so tiny on the iPhone's screen.

If I have time later it may be something I experiment with.

9. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think, and I believe I have others to back me up on this, that the problem isn't the number or difficulty of macs there is, it's the lack of ability to dodge or defend from them.

Any future update which will include this feature will be a good one indeed.

As for the graphics, let's not compare between your games and the other mech games, you dissed the Unity engine a few posts back do you really want to compare your graphics and Shadowgun's?:rolleyes:

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #90 RPGGuy, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    I'm not saying the graphics from Unreal or Unity games are bad. Those engines just didn't have the features I wanted for this game so I used my own.

Most of those pretty graphics are static lightmaps with high res textures. Nothing special really. Has more to do with the artist than the engine. Maybe you are impressed by that but I am not. I like shaders. I like dynamic realtime lighting. Lighting that is baked into a texture has been around since 3Dfx put out their original Voodoo card in 1995.

All the lighting in Mech Pilot is dynamic, the sun can move around in realtime and the shadows on the buildings would change. I could have had lightmaps for ambient occlusion but decided to keep it fully dynamic. I have not seen any other IOS games that do this with such large scenes. On the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 it's using a 4096x4096 shadow map texture. That's a 64 meg texture that it clears and draws the city scene on every frame! I'm impressed that it can do this because I never even went that large when I worked on PC games.

I was even disappointed with Infinity Blade 2 because there are only shadows in cutscenes (why??), and they don't even have soft edges (which was a new shader feature in IOS 5.1). Until those other engines can handle this stuff I'll keep improving my engine and trying to push the envelope with what can be done.

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I really like the game, although I'm a bit frustrated at the moment at Metronosis mission 2. The fight with the titan mech really takes a lot out of me and those three helicopters near the end get me every time, even when I'm waiting to open fire on them.

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #92 RPGGuy, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    I know update 2 isn't out yet, but here is a list of changes for update 3 which will submitted as soon as I can!

- Added support for IOS 5.1 and iPad 1
    - Added ability to walk backwards along mission route
    - Added shield domes
    - Added options to invert x and y axis for aiming
    - Changed muzzle flash light direction
    - Fixed teleportation particle animation (from update 2 only)
    - Fixed intro screen text bug

Future Wish List:
    Realtime Cut scenes before every level
    Don't say voices if enemy it mentions is already destroyed
    Cloud saves
    Enemies with shields
    More enemy AI (dodging, jumping, etc)
    Get mentioned on TouchArcade news (seriously come on guys!)

13. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #93 Delusionaltool, Oct 3, 2012
    wow, ive been playing Mwo beta(AWESOME), cause i love Mechwarrior since battle tech table top games, mw4 mercs will always have a special place in my heart, i am gonna be downloading this now...

looking at Sanukus video , is there more then 1 mech to choose from? if not add more mechs :), also be careful copying mech designs cause i dont want to see this game pulled for cloning or whatever else from Harmony Gold (co owners of Robotech), they think Mechwarrior stole there mech designs blah blah..Your mech has that Madcat look to it which I love.

I know you cant add a Gauss rifle, Lrms, Srms, PPCs but you can add them and call them like rail gun , long rang missiles, short range missiles, etc... i didn't see it but if counter measures were in the game so if your getting shot with missiles/rockets you can launch flares for counter measures.. shield domes? why not keep it traditional Mechwarrior style if you have shields it is just that a glowing blue hue around the mech when hes shot till its depleted and penetrates the shield, Even how you designed your game you hide behind buildings to not get hit just like in Mechwarrior..Its all about flanking and stealth you dont just run out in the open LOL you gotta play smart use those buildings for cover, just dont ruin your game with shield domes, shields yes domes no!

Im stoked about this game tho, digging your art style and the engine you created i see all the real time lighting effects and shaders, real time shadows awesome!!!, MULTIPLAYER in the future?

god you know how much stuff can be added to this game !!! This could be the definitive mech game if people buy it!

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    You will only get 1 maybe 2 shield domes per level. Sometimes you will find them at the start and you can choose when to deploy. It creates a big shield around where you deploy although you don't have to stay inside (it doesn't follow your mech). It does take damage so eventually it will be destroyed.

There are different mechs in the game but right now you can only pilot one of them. The rest are reserved for enemies.

Glad you like the game so far!

15. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    you need to add inverted controls, and side to side movement can you not strafe? dual thumb stick controls would work well with this.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Dual thumb stick would be great for a game like this.

17. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #97 Delusionaltool, Oct 3, 2012
    yes then you could strafe and aim and all that it would rock also inverted controls LOL. it would solve everything as far as movement and control go you could walk back to shoot side to side it would be perfect the right thumbstick would control torso movement, and left for legs....

18. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's not getting dual sticks. You can swipe left or right to dodge/jump in the next update.

If you had 2 sticks for moving and aiming, you'd need another finger to fire and that's just impossible to play :)

19. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #99 Delusionaltool, Oct 3, 2012
    i get what your saying, but think about this the second thumbstick wouldn't have to have your finger on it the entire time, just aim the torso to the spot you want to aim at and use left stick for movement to aim your shots accordingly.The torso would stay in that position until you needed to move it. it would work like on mechwarrior you move the mouse to where you want the torso to aim then you move with movement to do the aiming... just a thought.

i get your the dev and stuff im just suggesting it, a lot of people would agree with me even if you just had an option in the control scheme to do it, its not you playing the game its us the consumers, more positive feed back means better reviews and people start buying your game. the dual stick might work well for some others maybe not but if there is an option to do so, keeping people happy means word of mouth and more money in your pocket, dont just shoot the idea down i can tell your stubborn about your baby :). I for one see alot of awesomeness this game has the potential to pwn all mech games on the ios just some tweaks and content and bam your making dough, there is a RABBID fan base for Mech Games.

im just trying to give you some advice and get you some business, all the work you put into the game you can tell...dont bury your almost gem of a game...

also swipe to dodge and jump? is this Virtua on Or is this a Mech game, dual sticks would allow people to dodge on there own from side to side!! and jumping?? how about jump jets? rocket pack? something like that would make more sense. if you cant tell im a huge MECH junky and dont want you to ruin your game.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    See NOVA 3's mech controls for an example for a workable, accurate, free roaming control scheme for mechs.