Universal Mech Pilot - (by Rocking Pocket Games) Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I wrote Power Render! It's not ancient or stagnant. Just the opposite.... I kept it updated to the latest advances in 3D on the PC and now have ported it to OpenGL to use on IOS. Since I know it inside out, I can add whatever I need and not be stuck with the features a 3rd party engine offers. For instance Unity 4 Beta is only now offering shadows on IOS where I've had them for 3 years. It doesn't use an interpreted script language like Unrealscript so it's fast. I can also customize and optimize it for each game if needed.

Anyways back to the game. I fixed up the multitouch buttons last night so that will be fixed in the next update. I am also planning on iPhone 5 screen support (still waiting to get one).

2. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I tried it on the iPad 3 with iOS 6 of course (and siri :))
    Still same experience, I can't go back so the mech and the airplane destroyed me EVEN on the tutorial. The graphics are not all that hot as well.

I'm sorry this game is just not good and not fun IMOH, it's a shame because I too was looking for a good mech game, and NOT a rail poor mech game.

BTW rage have you voiding bullets in a LOT of ways, you should at least add shield if not a back button and free roam.

3. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I've been following this thread and agree with Rip73, people are being a little harsh with the developer.

Instead of just saying "graphics are horrible" or "gameplay sucks", maybe we should be constructively adding to why this is the case. I've already seen some people passing on suggestions that, to me, sound very reasonable that could potentially enhance the gameplay going forward.

We have the developer right here who is willing to hear these criticisms and potentially address or add to the game. All I'm saying is that maybe instead, we state why it's bad in a more respectful manner. From personal experience, it's heartbreaking when someone just outright is rude about something that took time, effort and passion to make.

4. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #64 RPGGuy, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Don't walk right in when there are multiple enemies. Stop walking and take out the helicopter first from a distance and then focus on the mech. And use the lasers from the ammo box sitting behind the first AA guns. It's more powerful.

Once you upgrade your mech a bit these levels will be a piece of cake and you'll wonder how you even struggled on them. The best defence is a good offence.

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    You can also play the levels out of order, so if you get stuck somewhere you can try a different one and maybe get a little farther.

If you buy the level pack you enemies will drop more electro so you can also level up faster if you play some of those levels. The enemies are harder but you still can collect faster.

6. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    The problem with that tactic is it just has you inching down the path in an effort not to get mobbed. Not a fun gameplay mechanic if you ask me.

I appreciate that you know what you're doing when it comes to graphics, it does look ok I guess, but the gameplay just isn't that fun or engaging.

2 points:
    - dual sticks/1 stick + screen swipe can be great if done well.
    - this game would be vastly improved with the ability to actually control the mech I.e. free roam.

It kinda feels like a pre alpha demo, where you try the idea, see that it doesn't work, and fix it.
    I'm not trying to sound harsh, but you can clearly see that the majority of people playing are not having a stand up experience, but rather the opposite. If I were you I would take the criticism and advice (even the harsh ones) and go back and create something exceptional. Many developers have done really well by listening to the members here and adapting accordingly. After all, we're the ones paying for your game.

7. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's not free roam. Get over it. This is a high tech shooting gallery. Maybe for Mech Pilot 2 I will do free roam but this one is not. The challenge is to stay alive, and you're not going to do that be walking straight into a bunch of enemies at first. Once you've upgraded your mech's shields you can do that more without worrying.

This decision was made early on to simplify the controls for IOS. By having the path preset I was able to design levels that have enemies come out at certain times and was able to make a lot of levels with unique situations. I don't think I could do free roam effectively with dense city levels. It would have to be more open, terrain based with more space to move around.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I just got an iPhone 5 and the game runs great on it. I'll be adding widescreen support to the next update. I've also designed some 3D models for shields so those will be going in as well!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

9. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    looking forward to a shield and various improvements. i don't really mind that it's on-rails, just that there's no way to avoid getting shot at because there's no reverse or dodge.

another person commented on the in-game dialog, that i think should be looked at. it says there's an enemy somewhere when i've taken it out already. sometimes, it's so long after i've shot it down that i wonder if there's yet another one coming up.

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #70 RPGGuy, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    Version 1.1 has been submitted with these changes:

- Fixed harvest and fire multitouch controls
    - iPhone 5 screen support
    - iPhone 5 now supports 2X shadow resolution and full screen anti-aliasing
    - Minor level changes to make the tutorial easier

It's going to take a while to add in the shields and some other requests so I decided to get this update out for iPhone 5 instead of waiting.

I might play around with some swipe to dodge/jump mechanics as well ;)

11. MicroByte

That sounds good, something to give people a defensive option seems like it'll add some additional strategy to the game. Maybe if it becomes too easy, to counterbalance, you could add more enemies?

Also, I see that iPhone 5 screen support is now enabled. More of a general question, but would you have to do anything additional for iPod Touch 5g support as well? I know it's not out yet, but I'm hesitant to buy anything on the 4G since, well, after upgrading to iOS6, even 2d games stutter at times. I'm hoping that once my 5G comes in, games will be smooth and automatically inherit the full screen that iPhone 5 users get.

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I can't add too many more enemies because it will slow the game down too much. I could increase their health or firing patterns to balance it out.

The game should run fine on the new iPod Touch with the widescreen support I just added. As soon as they are available I'll make sure the advanced rendering features are enabled for it. It should be equivalent to iPhone 4S which has shadows and god rays enabled.

13. MicroByte

That's great, I will try it out as soon as mine comes in. Also, if you need someone to Beta test this on the new device, let me know, would be happy to test and create video for you to review.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It's ok I ordered one the day they were available to order :)

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #75 RPGGuy, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  16. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Mech Pilot runs on my iPod Touch

I installed iOS 6 on my 4th gen (Retina display) 8GB iPod Touch and Mech Pilot runs fast and flawlessly.

But I wouldn't get the game if you only have an iPod Touch. Everything is just too small to see what's going on and it's almost impossible to target enemy bots until you get right up on them. I put it on my iPod Touch because I really wanted to check out the game (AND iOS 6) out before installing it on my iPad.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, that's a nice update at this stage.
    I like that idea of a swipe to jump/dodge. It'll be a real good addition I think.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Swipe left/right to dodge and swipe down to duck are both finished!

You basically have 3 positions, left, center and right of your path and you can jump between them however you like. You can use it to jump behind a building or dodge some of the slower moving bullets. I had to add some extra collision detection so you can't jump through buildings but it seems to be working well enough.

Ducking just stays in place and lets you avoid anything if you time it right.
    It works very well since most enemies fire a few shots and then pause for a while. You can duck under them and then get a few shots off before they fire again.

I will try adding a walk backwards mode next. More buttons :)

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #80 JBRUU, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    I've been following this thread and the upcoming thread when it was still in development. I've been pretty silent, but believe me I've been reading. And holy shit guys, what in god's name are you smoking?

The game is not perfect. No game is or ever truly will be. But for what it is, for what the man set out to make, a very pretty mech game where you blow up stuff with cool weapons, it works well. He felt that a dual stick control system would not work well on a touch screen. I disagree, but hey, what he implemented works and it works fine. Does it need some way of dodging? Yes. Is it coming? Yes. Is he listening to good ideas and supporting his game with updates? Hell yes.

To say the game is boring or that the graphics stink is absolutely false and, I would imagine, extremely discouraging. Now I'm not saying we shouldn't give constructive criticism. But I am saying that some of these comments are false, and a few just plain mean. TA, as I've always seen it, is a great place where iOS gamers and often developers can get together and talk, exchange ideas and offer improvements and advice. But this is nothing of the sort.