Universal MazeQuest 2 (by William Orr)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Will Orr

Will Orr Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    #41 Will Orr, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Hey all! I'm going to go over all the Skills & Spells in the MazeQuest games, and explain a little about each.

SKILLS:

HEALTH
    Your hit points, reaches 0 and you die.

MAGIC
    Your magic points, you need this to use usable skills

SPEED
    The more of this you have the faster your turn comes in combat

STRENGTH
    Adds to the damage of melee weapons and decreases the speed penalty to armor

AGILITY
    Adds to the damage of ranged weapons and helps you dodge melee attacks

REFLEXES
    Adds to your chance to counter attack and helps you dodge ranged attacks

AIM
    Adds to your chance to hit with all weapons and helps you avoid counter attacks

LUCK
    Adds to your chance to land a critical hit ( + 50% damage and ignores armor ) and also reduces the amount of times you take a critical hit from enemies

DEFENSE
    Adds to your armor just like equipment, except it doesn't get ignored with critical hits

RESISTANCE
    Reduces the effect of hostile spells and things like poison.

SORCERY
    Increases the power of almost all damage spells.

INVOCATION
    Increases the power of all healing spells

WIZARDRY
    Increases the power of all effect spells.

ALCHEMY
    Increases the power of all potions and scrolls

LOCKS
    Lets you open locked doors

WEALTH
    Increases the gold you find by 2 percent per 10 points. This pools across the party, so the more people that have wealth either learned or from items the better.

WISDOM
    Increases the experience the unit earns by 2 percent per 10 points.

H. REGEN
    Regenerates health by 1 per 10 points, both in and outside of combat.

M. REGEN
    Regenerates magic by 1 per 10 points, both in and outside of combat.

SPELLS:

BREATH
    Damages enemies in a line, burns

BOLT
    Damages enemies in a line

FIRE
    Damages enemies in a circle, burns

ICE
    Damages enemies in a circle, slows

LIGHTNING
    Damages one enemy, shocks

EARTHQUAKE
    Damages enemies around the caster, shakes

METEOR
    Damages enemies in a circle

HOLY
    Damages enemies in a circle, x2 damage vs evil units and blinds

DRAIN
    Drains health of one enemy and gives it to the caster

SYPHON
    Drains magic of one enemy and gives it to the caster

HEAL
    Heals one ally

PURIFY
    Heals one ally and removes negative effects and poison

MASSHEAL
    Heals all party members

REVIVE
    Revives one dead ally and heals for minor damage

DISPEL
    Dispels hostile effects on allies and good effects on enemies

CURSE
    Weakens enemies

BLESS
    Strengthens allies

WALL
    Protects an ally from a certain amount of physical damage

SHIELD
    Protects an ally from a certain amount of magical damage

SUMMON
    Summons a golem, level depends on power

BERSERK
    Sends the caster into a rage which increases damage, speed and chance to critically hit, but reduces defense to 0

POISON
    Poisons any unit hit in both melee and ranged attacks

LEECH
    Does temporary damage to the targets skills when striking in melee, then it heals the attacker for the same amount.

2. thor5678

thor5678 Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Hi Will, hoping this board still has activity. 2 questions:

1 why are some of the stats hashed? Ex reflexes of 8/8. Why the hash, and why are they sometimes different?
    2 is there a way to change the trajectory of bolt? When I cast, it shows a set pattern, but if I were able to move it I could tag another enemy. 3 range cast, would like to be able to flip 2nd hex.
    Thank you!

Will Orr likes this.
  3. Will Orr

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Thor, the simplest reason for the slash when viewing your skills, is in regards to health, where if you just came out of a battle your character will have less than their total health points, and then, sometimes your stats will be affected by an item you have equipped, (like heavy armor affecting your speed).

And the bolt moves in a straight line only, but because of the way we designed the hexes, there will be instances where it travels at a wonky angle. You cannot control this, but it helps you just as much as it doesn't, just depends on the situation. All the spells have different patterns for different situations.

I hope this helps!

-Will

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    There has been a massive update to this game.
    Some quick points;
    Enemies can now respawn - as an option.
    You can choose your starting character from 20 character types!
    Traps have been added.
    Loads of tweaks to skills.
    Searching for items after battles now give better rewards.
    And a ton of other stuff.

This game is an underrated gem imho for anyone that likes turn based tactical rpg’s.
    It’s more on the casual side of the genre but that doesn’t mean it’s dumbed down.
    Just that it is easy to get into and understand the mechanics.
    Fully premium, no iap’s, no ads or any crap.

It honestly deserves your money and the developers are really decent guys, and obviously are still supporting this game going by the latest patch.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm i'm tempted. Is it a non-linear game, so you can do what you want ?

Also the controls on the right surprises me as 99.9% they're always on the left. Are they okay to move about etc ? Hope this is the 'Ultima IV' style game i'm after

6. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Totally linear.
    You can tap to move and forget about the movement arrows.
    This is definitely NOT a Ultima IV style game. If that is what you are after then please do not get it, or you will be most sadly disappointed. ;)

psj3809 likes this.
  7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I like this but does any more of a story kick in? Just seems like a town and battles so far.

8. Will Orr

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Anthony!
    So there is a storyline, albeit linear as Stubbieoz mentioned. However, within that linear framework you will find many branching options for gameplay, including side-quests and recruitable NPCs (21 in total). My personal favorite is getting a dragon egg on level 3, and hatching it on level 4, to get your own personal dragon..)

9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks. I just haven’t seen any story since probably the introduction itself. So just seem to be running around without a direction to go.

10. Will Orr

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    The main story events happen (generally) when you get to the end of each level. If your still on level 1, go outside town and explore. If you are having trouble, then refer to this play-through done by my brother (and programmer), Chris.
    *SPOILER ALERT!*

11. Will Orr

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    MQ2-1-65-Update-Featured-image.jpg

Hey everyone, wanted to announce a brand new update for MQ2 is now available on all platforms.

v1.65 release notes:

- The hand with the weapon used in counter attacks is now marked in the equipment screen ( usually the right hand if possible ). Also the same hand is used in cleave attacks.
    Balance changes:
    - Tweaked the formula for growth of power of magic skills. It no longer scales exponentially. It's now a linear growth.
    - Greatly reduced the growth of magic cost for all spells.
    - Decreased the effectiveness of alchemy from .75% per point to .50% per point. This is to balance the buffs to scrolls and potions
    - Increased the power of potions and scrolls.
    - Earthquake has been lowered in magic cost and the area of effect is now + 1/2 range and 1/2 area bonuses on equipment + an additional hex for every 100 points in the skill.
    - Everyone has at least average growth in shapeshift. Mages and Berserkers have high growth.
    - Golem stats have been lowered.
    - Summoned golem + shapeshifted bear claws level is now determined by the level of the golem or bear. The golem or bear get increases to their claw at level 4 / 9 / 15 / 22 / 30 / 39 and so on.
    - Raised the magic cost of the shapeshift spell.
    - The health of the bear from shapeshift is no longer derived from the current magic level of the caster.
    - The bear from shapeshift now shares magic with the caster, when using spells in bear form the magic is deducted from the original form. However the magic cost of spells in bear form is DOUBLED.
    - The bear from shapeshift shares all skills that the caster has at full strength ( even if not listed ). Previously the bear shared all the skills at only half strength.
    - The earth dragon you can hatch on Map 4 now has claws level 6 ( was 4 ).
    - Barbarians and Berserkers can now learn the shapeshift skill at level 6.
    - Barbarians and Berserkers now have more health and magic.
    - Reduced the negative effect removal power of purify. It removes negative effects at half power.
    - Changed a lot of skills around for classes. Healers are now good at Wizardry and learn shield and wall at level 4. Every spell skill is at average or better for each class. Many other adjustments.
    Bug fixes:
    - Defending in combat now works ( was broken ). Defending raises defense by 15% and the chance to counter by 50%.
    - Fixed a bug with poison damage and shapeshift.
    - Tightened up the AI some more. No longer moves without attacking if it can attack.
    ‪- Fixed a bug with place units at the beginning of battle. Sometimes the Unit graphic could get stuck.‬
    ‪- Fixed a display bug with the leech skill.‬
    ‪- Fixed incorrect info on the cleave and pierce descriptions.‬
    ‪- Clarified some skill descriptions.‬

-The MazeQuest team

Links:

APP STORE
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mazequest-2/id1348128304

Google Play
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Orr.MazeQuest2

STEAM
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/738440/MazeQuest_2/

MQ2 Trailer

Website
    https://mazequest.com

stubbieoz likes this.
  12. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Massive update to a great game. Thanks for continuing supporting the mobile version guys. :)

If you like tactical turn based combat rpg’s, that are a bit more casual (not to be confused with easy) and want to support premium games, then you would do yourself a favour purchasing this gem.
    Battles are quick which especially suits mobile gaming. The UI is intuitive and the whole game is now a polished product.

I have enjoyed this game since it’s release and I wish it was more appreciated.

Will Orr likes this.
  13. Will Orr

Sep 27, 2018
    Male
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    stubbieoz should be named Stubbie OG, b/c he has been playing since the beginning! In fact, the Druid character introduced in 1.3 was suggested by him! Now there are 21 starting characters, that was back then the druid made 6 total.
    It's really been a rewarding experience making a game that people enjoy as much as we do, and look forward to evolving further with the help of the community at Toucharcade!

During these crazy times, I understand there are some that are really interested in the game, but if you for some reason can't afford $7.99, send me an email at
    [email protected] and I'll get you a promo code for the App Store for a free copy of the game

stubbieoz likes this.