Universal Max Payne Mobile (by Rockstar Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I don't know, if you gave the mobile version of this in today's market to somebody who wasn't already interested in MP3, or who wasn't familiar with the series at all, and told them, "Here's what you can look forward to in our new game," the reaction might not be exactly what you were hoping for. ;):D

That said, the release timing certainly isn't a coincidence. ^_^

2. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    How are the shooting mechanics? The biggest problem I have with GTA3 is the fact I can't seem to shoot my intended targets even of they are a couple of inches in front of me. Ive never played a Max Payne game. Can someone compare the shooting mechanics to another iOS 3rd person shooter?

3. Taytay

Taytay Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    so whats size once the game is installed

4. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Same, if I can aim and hit - I will buy.

5. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    It makes me excited because it's one of the best games I have ever played. I love the original and the sequel, and currently have the third game on preorder. The gameplay may not have been anything special (aside from Bullet Time), but the narrative is what I loved the most about the games. The story, voice acting and the comic sequences were just plain awesome, and I hadn't played a game like it before. And now I can have it all on my 3GS! It's not just another boring game like Cut The Rope or Angry Birds (IMO), but a game made by a serious developer that can further strengthen the view that the iPhone can be taken as a serious gaming platform. That's why I'm excited.

Can't wait for it to hit the Australian store, will be staying up and waiting till it comes out, as I'm currently on break from unversity :D

6. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Wow at the price!

7. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009

first post i think it was in this thread

1.3 GB

8. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    #68 r2ks8x, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    i have a feeling that the price will decrease just like they do on their gta game

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Entirely possible, but don't expect that to happen any time soon.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sure it will but the price is just a few dollars. Plus I want them to get great early sales so they'll release more

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ok, I'll play. Just note please: the following is in the spirit of a free discussion; I don't begrudge anybody enjoying this game.

Whenever somebody mentions story or narrative in a video game as its main draw, I wonder how long it's been since they've picked up a book. Just about any decent novel will hands down outshine anything ever penned for a video game specifically.

Ah yes, the old iOS inferiority complex. You know, even that aside, those who do actually scoff at the iOS with regard to it being a serious gaming platform, would be laughing their asses off at you presenting a game they played on their PCs 13 years ago to make your case. Personally I don't feel the iOS needs to prove anything to anybody at all.

12. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Reading is so last century.

13. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Looking forward to this, my iphone has quite the collection of classic gems now :)

14. r2ks8x

r2ks8x Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    im just a student i plan on spending money carefully so its worth the wait im just being thrifty :p

15. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    I think its more so about being a part of the story. You are the one driving the story forward, and it's easy to put yourself in the main characters shoes. I read LOADS, I love books, and I agree the stories in those are better, but I identify better when playing video games. It's just my personal preference I believe. :)

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Granted a 10 year old PC game doesnt prove that iOS is a great gaming platform, but it shows the great variety iOS has. The Wii and X-Box have a thriving retro scene as well but no one seems to mock those consoles for the ability to play old games.

Lots of people still think its all short games like Angry Birds and co, as we know theres a lot of great epic games on iOS and also a lot of great retro games. Being older i love it that i can have all these classics in the palm of my hand, dont have to change discs, hook it up to a TV or that, just play these classics when i want.

Max Payne isnt cutting edge, its not going to blow people away graphically and as you say its 10 years old or so, but its great to be able to have this classic in the palm of my hand. The same for many other retro classics. Graphics may date but gameplay never does.

17. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    the original max payne cartridge is still sitting in my gameboy micro right now. i love this game and will definitely be grabbing it for ios.

generally, children and stupid people judge a game by the graphics. it's obviously gameplay that matters in a game.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree ! If i wanted stunning graphics i'll get a console but i'm sure there'll be some games which will disappoint me with its gameplay.

Theres lots of old classics i still like to play on my ipod like Doom and even Space Invaders.

Max Payne seems to have a huge story and tons of gameplay, cant wait to get into it as i never played the original. Looking at youtube videos of the PC version it looks great

19. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    In a way, bringing back old pc classics now is a good idea. Kids these days look at me funny when I ask them if they played doom, but say hell yea when I ask if they played halo. Lots of people are on consoles now and may not have touched old gems. At least this is one way of exposing them to good stuff.

20. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Toucharcades biggest troll? I get not being excited yourself (I'm not interested) but to pretend to be confused as to why people are excited over a massive console game being ported over is just silly. Trolling for trolling sake I guess.