Universal Matchblocks - action-puzzles with minimalistic style

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by OneMinuteGames, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Yes, Arcade mode, just after classic.

At least mostly ;)

2. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Great, thanks! Now let's hope I'll unlock that...

3. bonesquad

bonesquad Member

Jan 15, 2012
    #23 bonesquad, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    The key word is mostly. Arcade mode still has the circles you need to tap multiple times to remove (but there are much fewer power-ups and I haven't seen any multipliers).

Well at least this means I was finally able to unlock arcade mode. I still feel the level needed to unlock the mode is way too high. I'm not a fan of ever locking away modes/characters/tracks/ect. The concept feels forced and outdated. Though if you do, it shouldn't be difficult (or like in Dream of Pixels have a backdoor way to open them:)

Still really enjoying the game. Now to get level 14 to unlock the next mode...

EDIT: Ok, unlocked Time mode. This one wasn't nearly as hard to unlock. I still stand by my post. Maybe the level to unlock Arcade could be reduced to 5 instead of 7 and I'd feel better about it:)

4. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I finally unlocked Arcade mode and like it a lot. It's fun to have some variety in the game. Still would really like a mode without powerups/circles/anything, just blocks to remove. I unlocked Time mode too, and wow, that's a lot more difficult! Fun though.

5. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Ehh, to be honest in this version is also a backdoor to unlock everything ;) But I won't tell you guys... yet. maybe someone will figure out :D

I'm very glad to hear that you like the new modes!

bonesquad: New update will decrease needed level to 5 from 7, as you suggest

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168149][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168121][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168128][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168133][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167866][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168158][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168119][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168143][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168395][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168113][​IMG][/thread]
    Click on icons to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]MATCHBLOCKS[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    28/11/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to tap a color sequence to match colors in the blocks?

[size=+3][thread=168267]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    12-06-2012 at 07:13 PM

7. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Great! Thanks

So, if anybody likes Matchblocks, you know what to do ;)

8. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I have played this game a lot so obviously like it, but I still really don't like the powerups and that's what keeps this from being really great to me. It's so frustrating when you're doing quite well and then get an "extra spawn" or "bigger blocks" which might as well be called "insta death". Not always, and sometimes I recover from what I thought would be death for sure, and that does feel nice, but sometimes it's also just impossible. It also seems completely random when they show up and I get the impression my highscores are more based on luck than on skill (also because of the good powerups of course. Those "smaller blocks" are very very helpful).

Like I said, I really do like this game. I am one of the few people who unlocked all the modes so far so that says something I guess. So, I really hope you'll consider adding a classic mode without powerups (and preferably without dice-circles as well). I do like everything else about classic mode, like the progression and the pace. Arcade is fun too, but it is much slower paced, Time Trial is hard, and Zen does not seem to be a game mode (as in: try to get a high score). Classic is really good, it's just those powerups that leave me frustrated after a game too often.

9. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Ok Lena, I 'll consider to create a game mode especially for you :) Really.

You maybe right, "bad" things from 'enigmas' could be a little too bad in some cases. But one tip: you don't have to tap those 'enigmas' instantly, you can wait to the moment when you have small amount of blocks on board.

About Arcade mode: it is really fast paced later! Try to play longer maybe ;)

10. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks, that's all I ask, that you'll consider it :) Though I actually really think that I'm not the only person who would like such a mode. But then again, perhaps I am. In that case, please disregard my request and go on making other games.
    I know, but sometimes, especially when you are quite far, you have to tap one of them to make space for the blocks, and then it is just a matter of luck if it is a neutral or good enigma or a bad enigma.
    I know! It's actually the one mode where I got an achievement for earning a higher score, so I think it's my best mode. But it is slower to get going and I think games are longer (possibly because I'm better at it). So for now, for me, classic mode has the best balance between difficulty/time/pace.

11. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    All your toughts are right :) I'll try to balance it a little bit in the next updates. First of all I'll reduce number of "bad" things that are spawned during those "bad" bonuses.

12. bonesquad

bonesquad Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I like the power ups, and the chance to get a 'bad' enhancement. Including the 'we just made the blocks big so grab all the points you can, the game's about to end!' These mix up the games and keeps them fresh.

However, I'll second the idea of a mode that removes the circles and focuses on the blocks. More modes are always nice:) I'm also glad to see the first unlock drop in level requirement.

13. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    I'll try to do that on the next updates :)

But until now, first update has come, 1.1.0 with promised little fixes, gameplay tunings, easier modes unlocking and better colors for colorblinds.

More features and tunings in the next update!

14. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #34 Andy C83, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    Just took the top spot in classic mode. ;) More people need to be playing this game.

Can't get anywhere near Lena's Arcade score. >_<

15. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Maybe more will be playing after today TouchArcade review!

Also: bigger update is comming ( after Christmas I'm afraid ) with some gameplay changes, game will be easier and more fair - without random big spawns from enigmas for example.

Also I plan to add "proper" colorblind mode.

16. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Congrats on the fine review! :)

17. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
  18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Huh, I see that I'm still number 1 on the leaderboard for Arcade! I'm afraid it was mostly luck. I probably can't get anywhere near it myself anymore either.
    More fair sounds great! Though I hope you do not change it too much, despite my request for a mode without powerups, I do love the pick up and play nature of the game. Knowing that it doesn't last long makes it perfect for "just one more try" when I have a few minutes here or there.

Congrats on the very nice review!

19. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Maybe, but I think Classic mode has more luck than Arcade, due to the score multiplier drops.
    I mean, you could have a short game in Classic, but in that game get 3 or 4 multiplier drops which allows you to bump up the score. Whereas there are no score multipliers in Arcade mode. I think Arcade is more skill based than Classic, so props to you, ma'am.

20. OneMinuteGames

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    What I changed: is only the fairness of enigma "bad spawns" - less blocks right now. I think that should reduce the feeling of non-fair games.

Also there will be another game mode: "Pure", unlockable with the last one right now: "Zen" It is the classic mode without ANY bonuses/obstacles. Just pure skill.