Universal Match Land (By Race Cat)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Jerm

Jerm Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Massive paywall in this game. About 88% through stage 1 and already hit it.

I've spend all resources on upgrading my heroes, and shop

There's just too many things to grind through with minimal reward or impact on gameplay.

1. XP restricts shop upgrades
    2. Tokens for heroes
    3. Gold to use tokens to upgrade heroes
    4. Figurines to get new heroes (you probably need to grind everyday for a year to unlock all heroes)
    5. Keys to get figurines

The progress now has halted to simply collecting stuff and looting previous levels. If you're lucky on the board at times then you can progress a few levels. Sad.

2. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys, great news! They just released an update that makes this game more fun. First of all, it is faster, which is awesome. They also gave you more energy and nerfed some of the enemies, making it easier. Download the update and give it another shot.

3. Jerm

Jerm Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Hi Wicked,

I've tried the update. I still find it too hard. Basically stuck waiting for timers to look stuff and grind through one level every day now.

I think the FTP progression is very slow, that is basically not a FTP to me.

The game requires too much money, tokens and XP to progress rewardingly. Once you reach hero level 15+ the amount of loot and chest rewards you get is too low, which I think scalability of rewards is not increasing fast enough

4. PsYcHoNoVa

PsYcHoNoVa Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    
    F this game.

5. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    The game allows the player to use their last move to set up a block into a new position. This ends the turn but allows the player to move to a better position to start the next turn.
    The game also allows the strategy of adding to an existing tail which helps generate the Roman numeral blocks which clears a lot.
    The money should mostly come from opening the shop, so if you need money prioritize the monsters that generate the most money. I wouldn't bother with going after the 2x gold stages.
    Overall a good game for players that play casually. The ftp elements are friendly. The game actually gets more difficult when it adds more characters. Especially the fifth at chapter 5. The new person will be lower level and adds an additional block type which makes it harder to combo.

6. Rooie1154

Rooie1154 Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 24, 2012
    I am playing a lot of this game and really enjoying it. Despite the timers and the grinding, I still am able to visit it quite a few times a day and play for about as long as I want each time. I'm up to level 49 and I have only gone on to a new level once I three-star the level I'm playing. In the beginning, I was doing a lot of Quick Looting but find now that I don't need to, so I can spend my energy actually playing.

I do sort of wish there was just a tiny bit more time on the timer, to give you a chance to make a new match...it seems that when you've made the last match, moving a block that isn't fitting into a set of three wipes the timer out immediately...no chance of making that last three-match. You can manage to move a block to make a cascade or set up a move for next round, but then - bam" - timer runs out.

7. rckts

rckts New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm a user level 20 and half way through the second (beach) world. I enjoy the game a lot, there was a bit of a paywall that required some grinding to finish off the first (Forrest) world. However after that I found it hit a nice balance of just difficult enough that it's challenging without the looming paywall difficulty. I was able to save up enough gems to buy the 800 gem chest without spending any money and there was one day where the daily reward chest was an 800 gem chest. I have 2 (almost 3) of the 4 star characters unlocked.

So yeah, it's got some growing pains for difficulty balancing but if you stick with it, it eases up a bit.

8. cih

cih Member

May 12, 2017
    I have an unlockable mode idea for the game. Either a $5 IAP or 1000 gems to unlock a stage called "Training Grounds". As the name implies, it's only for training and playing only the match-3 aspect of the game. In this mode enemies don't die, rather faint and don't get included in the shop economy. The player earns only 1 random item (only common items) for winning. Training Grounds board is randomly selected from previously 3-starred stages and enemy HPs are adjusted to the player's current level. This way, both devs generate revenue and players can hone their skills & play a quick game when they're out of energy. This game is premium quality and if it can also provide a premium experience without disturbing its original design, it can make every kind of player happy.

9. Jerm

Jerm Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Stuck with it a bit more. You have to grind like crazy if you do t want to spend any money on this game. The matching aspect is really fun. Wish there can be more focus on that.

I understand devs need to make back their money. It it has a full price with no IAP and a nice progression, this would have been very nice for me personally

10. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    I still don't really see where all the complaints are coming from. They either expect the game to be something you can play for hours a day (it's not paced that way), or they've played so many other "gacha" style games that they assume all your starting characters are throwaway and you're expected to spend tons of cash to get the better units early on.

I actually found it nice to have a game where your 1* units are all relevant/necessary for USE, instead of just XP fodder that you use during a tutorial and then never put on your team again.

This is a game you'll play a couple times a day as a "secondary" game.

There's literally THOUSANDS of other Match-3 options out there to choose from if you want to find one with less restrictions on continual play. Apart from being able to use your last move to set up your next turn, the gameplay here is the same formula we've seen in everything from Puzzle Quest to Family Guy.

11. Melaniipon

Melaniipon Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Storyteller
    South Carolina
    I'm really enjoying the game, but timers never really bother me anyway.

The game has an official Reddit where the developers are quite active.

They are planning a big update that will actually have an "endless" mode. Here's what the dev says:

"We are hard at work on the first content update. We are focusing on a new endless dungeon feature that will let you play without using normal stamina. It will also make use of all of your heroes, so you'll want to unlock and level up heroes even if you don't use them in your main lineup. The dungeon will also have a new dungeon shop that will let you acquire stamina, tokens, spices, and figurines without using your gold or gems.

We likely won't change the chests to remove tokens for characters you've maxed out, the same way we don't remove figurines for characters you've unlocked. We don't want chests to be funneled down to only a few heroes left at any point. We will however give you something to do with useless tokens in the update and remove them from showing up in the daily market.

We're trying to get this update done asap and to a high quality so our tentative release date is near the end of June.

Thanks for the patience! We hope this will fix a lot of the major concerns over progression and gameplay."

12. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Anyone have any tips? I am 46 and my reflexes are slowing down. I am getting wrecked. not sure what I am doing wrong.

13. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    Check out the subreddit. Lots of tips and such there.

14. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    New update is out. If you have not downloaded this game (it's free!), give it another chance. The update has a new level, endless mode, new characters and more.

15. SpeckledJim

SpeckledJim Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Endless mode is a rather generous way to describe it. It's very much gated behind the same kind of restrictive timer as the normal game, just called keys now instead of stamina.

The rewards available in the shop using the skulls earned in the arena are staggeringly expensive. I completed 6 rounds of the arena (the 7th is just impossible for my current team, even with 2 of the extra buffs active).

I earned 100 skulls. 30 stamina (enough for approximately 3 quick loots) is 300 skulls. 2 epic figurines will set you back an eye watering 25,000 skulls. The only thing here that's endless is the grind.

16. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

#76 sugimulm, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Is it just me or when you get "plus" stamina, all health matches disappear, gone. I guess the devs want us to waste our stamina and not gain or pass levels. I getting sick of this always happening, pretty close to deleting.
    Sorry just ranting

Edit: sent an email stating what the update did, which was untrue in the log and how the game is money gouging, their reply was "money bags" emoji.

Stay away, money grabbing, greedy devs here

17. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    My game simply died. It won't load and crashes. Not on another device, not when airplane mode enabled. Anyone have this problem? It played fine yesterday afternoon.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Works for me -- definitely not a server issue.

19. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I reached out to the Devs. They promptly responded and they know of the issue and are working on a fix. They said it had something to do with their Ad Network.

20. Chris Savory

Chris Savory Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Sorry for the crash! It had to do with our ad network. We've removed it and sent an update that's waiting for approval at Apple. Ideally it comes out later today.

Thanks so much for playing!