Mass "What should I get?" Thread 2011

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's been an awesome year for iOS gaming and an awesome year here on TA as well. A big hand to the staff/writers for their hard work, which no doubt makes TA the best place to be for iOS gamers. I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday weekend.

Merry Christmas guys.

2. Tuilelath

Tuilelath Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    Hey, not trying to butt into your convo, but I am looking for good platformers. Just got Bean's Quest and Shantae on price drops this week but have not had time to explore either of them very much. Considered Sonic CD but wonder if it's a difficult game. I'm really drawn to those with colorful graphics, a hangover from Mario days, I suppose. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #23463 GoofyJmaster., Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    Haha, no problemo! The best platformer IMO right now is Terra Noctis. I'd aslos suggest checking out both Crazy Hedgy and LostWinds. Both were released this week and are superb. LostWinds has a bit of a a getting used to (not really learning) curve. I wrote impressions for these 3 and you can find them in the thread in my signature.

I'd also suggest checking out Illusia. It's a pretty good platformer and it's free.

Pix n' Love Rush was nice but not really my cup of tea.

Cordy's another good platformer. I played it on Android though.

Someone mentioned Rolando from back in the day. That was an awesome game. If that's even still on the AppStore (sure it is) might as well give it a whirl. I'm pretty sure it's still as good as ever.

There are plenty of platformers on the AppStore, but these get my seal of approval (if that means anything).

Wind-Up Knight is a good runner/platformer if you're into that.

I'm prolly missing something, so I might update later.

Edit
    Save the Furries is a very nice puzzle platformer, but it might be too pricey for some. It comes in at $4. It's good, but not as good as the ones I already mentioned unless you really like puzzle platformers.

Mega Man X might be worth your while if you want something like that. I didn't pick it up because I have my old Mega Man games on Gameboy if I want to play. Also, check that thread because the impressions were pretty split.

Oh yeah, i'm not a huge fan of Sonic games on iOS do I didn't mention CD.

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    2nd'd, it takes a lot of effort to keep order during the chaos.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    3rd'd? Joined in May and it's been awesome to be here! :D

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Uhh really disappointed in Aralon HD. Bought it since everyone said it was good even though I don't like that sorta games normally, but still got it. It sucked. Oh well, only a buck.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    How is Elder Sign: Omens? Trying to decide between that and Law & Order. Or something else priced about the same, I just have tons of stuff and don't want to list everything. ;)

8. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Yeah...trust your gut instinct when it comes to genre/types of games you normally don't enjoy. I know it's hard to resist picking up games that others recommend (I fall into the same trap).

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    LostWinds vs. Terra Noctis -> GO!

10. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Looking for some cool games that I've missed. Any awesome games, preferably on sale but it's fine either way, out there that I should get? Need some recommendations. All I've come up with is Bean's Quest, Rugby Nations, Tank Riders, Flick QB, or Rainbow Six. Don't even know if THOSE are any good though. Any help?

11. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Rainbow 6 is not very good. Multi player isn't as good as MC2 (I don't have MC3), and the single player is very boring and repetitive.

12. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Got it, thanks. Removed from my wishlist. Okay, so I have $8 and am looking for some fun games, some of the best of the holiday sales or just the funnest games period (preferably with a good amount of content too). Thanks!

13. Tuilelath

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    Thanks, GoofyJ.
    Terra Noctis-really interested in this one. A little war going on in that thread, dev says he's not gonna update content, hasn't made enough $ ( after what?... A week or so?) so I'll wait til the dust settles, see if the bugs get fixed.
    I have Crazy Hedgy...just played the first level. It's good but I am really looking for something with more traditional platformer (Mario-like) movement, not a ball roller. But that takes nothing away from the game, it's a good game.

Looked at a video of LostWind, on the fence on that one.

I've got Cordy and Wind-Up Knight on an Android device.

Hated Illusia. Re-tried it a week ago. Still a thumbs down from me.

Anything else I am missing? You like Pizza Boy? Anything close to a Mario-ish experience?

Thanks again!

14. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Have you tried Frogatto? Or any Orange Pixel games (meganoid, stardash...)
    How about 1 bit ninja?

15. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Ice Rage is freakin' awesome.
    If you like endless games you should try Mighty Fin or Ice Wings.
    Lost Winds looks really good but a bit pricey.
    Mini motor racing is great too

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, that argument got way outta hand. There really aren't too many bugs and it's by far the best platforming experience on iOS. The main bugs are for third gens and a boss bug that is random. I haven't made it that far yet. You'd have to as SV (or look at his posts) for more info about it. I'd still highly recommend it to anyone even if it doesn't get updated or that fight is never resolved. Plus, the only way we'll see updates (especially meaningful ones) is if the game get purchased by people. But yeah, it's sort of early for them to call it quits, or what not. However for such a great game it hasn't been picked up by any of the top review sites and it can be frustrating for a dev when your publisher isn't doing anything to help, especially when you've made such a remarkable game.

If you can get out of traditional platforming mind set (which I was in), I'd highly recommend LostWinds and Max and the Magic Marker.

Don't Run With A Plasma Sword is a great runner/platformer hybrid.

There's really not too many other platformers, I particularly fancy.

Giana Sisters turned out to be pretty decent and I've heard mostly good things about Frogatto.

17. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Was gonna get MMR but found out it doesn't work on iOS 4.2 :(. Same goes with Crazy Hedgy, though I think I'll save a couple bucks for it since there's apparently gonna be a fix soon in the new year. How goes Ice Rage as far as content? I was almost thinking about waiting on it, but if it's really that fun, might just get it now! Thanks!
    Also: any other extremely fun games?

18. Tuilelath

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    #23478 Tuilelath, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    You have a good point, I shall purchase Terra Noctis right now, just to show some support. I'd hate such a good dev to drop out of this game and future development. The game looks gorgeous. (Though the dev does need to keep from publicly airing his dirty laundry, it really undermines confidence).

I'll take a look at Max & the Magic Marker if you liked it. You've become one of the posters whose opinion I actively seek out when reading the forums.

If you can get out of traditional platforming mind set (which I was in)... yeah, me too. It's just nostalgia. You want the same experience that made you happy before.

It's kinda funny, I've been on here for over 2 years and really never post, though I read the threads for several hours a day. You have been on here for a little over 2 months and you've posted more than 1,100 times.

I did kinda give up on posting much, seems that replies from someone who doesn't have a high post count get ignored. So, I am doubly appreciative of your replies!

19. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Help!

I always follow 1 rule when it comes to purchasing apps and that is to never buy a game for more than 99 cents, but I broke it when I purchase FFT. Now i only have about 3 bucks so i dont mind spending a little more, but even so, I'm torn on what to buy:

Junk Jack 2.99
    Shantae: Risky Revenge 1.99
    Fall of Angels 2.99
    Epoch 1.99 or 2.99

3 of the 4 games are on sale. This is probably a no-brainer choice to pick up Junk Jack, the only game not on sale, but what are the chances that it will fall to 99 cents? or any of the game? Which one should I go for.

20. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Considering the fact that he's the dev, he should apply some more tact when it comes to trying to make sales. However, I understand the frustration. I can also see why confidence can be so shaky on this platform, but yeah he shold stand behind his game as much as possible. Maybe go solo or find a new publisher in the future.

Haha, I didn't even know I was over 1,100. I saw when I hit 1,000. Sometimes i don't even realize how much posting I'm doing, especially when I'm not home. Posting can become like texting for me. Also, unfortunately a decent amount of the posts are me b*tching about DH3, Six Guns, a huge defense of IB2 (with bugs that let me down), and recently an argument about MUSE v. Shadowgun. I also done a lot of talking (maybe b*tching) about AppCulture. But hey, that's the nature of the forum. It's a place where opinions run rampant and I've enjoyed the debates for the most part. most of my real life friends are still on console or own an Android phone, so I don't get to discuss iOS gaming that much with them.

If you (or other people) post and I feel like I can answer the question to the best of my abilities, I will reply no matter the post count.