Universal Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Emmulator

Emmulator New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Thanks. I figured that was probably the case, but I was hoping it wasn't. I guess I'm stuck getting Bag-Man rewards instead of something I like.

2. deserted

deserted Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Is that something new? I just double checked and it's now 100 gold like you say, I could have sworn it used to be 50 gold a while ago, before I posted. If I was mistaken, I apologize.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    bag-man is actually kind of useful for PvE battles against stuff like snipers. The purple ability can be used to clear rows or columns, and the blue can lock something down in a pinch if you can't match it. Not great, but has some utility.

4. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    The 11th slot is 100 gold, all the previous ones were 50 gold, I've got 10 slots open. Although I could have sworn I only had 9 slots, so it's possible the 10th one was 100 gold too and I bought it without paying attention.

5. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    i have a question about some of the 3 star heroes; i got the 3 star black widow with the green ability; how do you unlock other abilities? even buying covers with the premium currency only gets you potentially another black widow with the green ability, i don't see a cover that unlock the rest anywhere, not from quests nor from shop...i think is the same for other high level heroes (wolverine etc); if that's the case it's probably better tpo stick with lower level heroes for wich you can at least find the other abilities (and then pay currency to level them up).

6. JayTay

JayTay Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    The only way to unlock other abilities is by obtaining a cover with that ability on.

7. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    i know, but for higher star heroes i don't see the possibility to obtain those covers anywhere; when you go on shop and can choose between the two different boosters pack you can see what possible oputcome you have as the images of the possible covers to obtain rotate; i'm not sure if the images don't show all possible outcomes because from what i see for my 3 star black widow i can only obtain (eventuallya nd with a lot of luck) the same cover i already have.
    Is it possible to win different covers from those showed?

8. MrChainsaw

MrChainsaw New Member

Oct 18, 2013
    #128 MrChainsaw, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    The answer is yes. I've got different color covers than the ones shown. I've seen x force wolverines with all 3 colors. Wonder how they pulled that off. I'm ashamed to admit I've spent 70 dollars and roughly 40 dollars was wasted on bag man and 2star hawk eye covers....

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Btw, a new one-star tournament has started. Only one star heroes. Players are split into brackets of 200. Top 50 in each bracket get pre-releases of the new 2-star Captain America. Almost all my guys are 2-star, and I haven't ranked up Iron Man that high, so this is tough sledding. top 2 get all three powers, 3-10 get 2 powers.

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I'm glad I didn't sell and kept leveled up Storm (Modern) after getting Storm (Classic) now.

11. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    #131 Misguided, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, most of the folks in my bracket have much higher level Iron Man than and Storm than I do. I also realized that 51-100 in each bracket get blue Iron Man covers, which I really want. So I am going to aim for 50-75.

For those of us that ditched most of our 1-star guys, we're kind of hosed, but I applaud them for introducing as much variety as possible to the tournaments.

12. blackbear219

blackbear219 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    This tournament is right up my alley. I have been working on my one star characters all along so they (ironman, hawkeye, storm) are all pretty solid for me. I've spent 99 cents on this game (my first IAP ever) and I am currently first in my bracket.

For the hours and hours I have put into the game, it is well worth the $1. I. hoping I can bring it home and get me a decked out captain america tomorrow if I can keep this up.

13. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    Fell to 6th overnight and am now back up to 3rd and monitoring. I lost about 300 points off my score while I was sleeping which is pretty brutal. I think it is probably best to linger in the middle of the top 10 until close to the end of the race and then make a push.

I have some gold coins saved up from the campaign that I can use to refresh my heals and bang out a bunch of fights late to hopefully put me into one of the top 2 spots for the best prize.

14. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, it becomes much harder to gain points as you get higher in the bracket. I made 400 points yesterday, so I got my blue Iron Man cover. I decided to go for the hero points at 500, but it was just too hard to get there yesterday. Today it was much easier, because more people were up in that point range.

I realized I wasn't getting anywhere without Black Widow, so I started a new one from scratch, picking up various covers I hadn't grabbed yet. I'm hoping to finish in the top 50.

I want to reiterate that as annoying as the IAP and the timers are (I detest them) the game is really good, and you can get a TON of gameplay out of it without spending a dime. I did buy some hero points when they had the bonus going, but I haven't spent any yet beyond what I've earned in game. There will be some limitations eventually, especially ranking up higher rank characters, but you can play a long time before that becomes a concern, especially if you stick with the characters you earn in-game, some of which are great.

15. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Man, this is nerve wracking. I'm comfortably in third place for now-- first and second are out of my reach, alas-- but I'm paranoid someone's just waiting to snipe me as the clock gets closer to zero. I just need to stay in the top 10, though, so I should be bake to manage that.

16. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    So 3 1/2 by users, i know it's freemium but seems by comments it could be a good time killer to combat while the family is playing candy crush.

17. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    So, what happened for you? I was in 2nd with about 5 minutes left and a good lead on 3rd place when the servers seemed to crash.

When I got back in the one star tourney was gone, the new week long avengers tourney is up and I haven't received a captain america cover yet.

18. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    #138 Jazzpha, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Pretty much the same thing; I was comfortably in 7th with about 3 minutes to go, and then the servers completely crashed out, a new tournament started and I didn't get either of the two captain America cards, or the hero coins or ISO-8.

I just hope the rewards get paid out, because I was banking on getting 100 hero coins when I bought some heals with my stash to stay in the running.

EDIT: Just got the rewards. Looks like the server just needed to catch up.

19. blackbear219

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep, got mine too.

Overall, the race was fun but I probably won't do another one. Too time consuming, lol. I'll go back to casually clearing the campaign.

20. emidas

emidas New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    I just found this game this past week, so this was the first tournament I spent any time in. I thought it was pretty cool to give those of us who may not have 2 and 3 star heroes a fair shot. I ended up getting in the top 75, earning some currency and unlocking my Iron Man's blue ability, so I'm happy. Missed Captain by about 70 points, but I'm not fretting.