Universal Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 30, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Ooh. Sneaky update reduces the number of revives from 6 to 4 and I'm pretty sure they take longer to come back, too.

Also now shows the iPhone status bar at the top of the screen, but it merges rather unpleasantly into the art (on 5S, at least).

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    They've nerfed Iron Man and Hawkeye's attacks, too (need more AP to use). Makes all that effort levelling them up and prioritising them over other characters a bit of a waste.

Deleted out of frustration, as I can only see it getting worse. Shame, as there's a really solid game underneath, that's unfortunately spoilt and unbalanced by all the crap built on top of it to make you part with your money.

3. RichardC

RichardC Active Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I loved Puzzle Quest, PQ2, Galactrix. Finished PQ and PQ2 on multiple devices.

Wanted to like this one too, but the grinding has destroyed this game for me. Having to fight the same fights over and over to get covers, often picking up a lousy 20 ISO instead.

Used coins 3 times to get the heroes, and ended up with lousy 2 stars, including a duplicate.

I still love the concept of playing Marvel heroes, and like the variety of hero skills and game play. As I noted, I'm a PQ addict and will give this another try if someone can convince me how to do this besides grinding out the same fights over and over for covers and the rare hero coins.

Can someone given me advice on how to get heroes - should I be going the ISO route as opposed to coins? Is there any way to get the better heroes, or is it just the random luck of using coins?

Thanks

4. splatomat

splatomat New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Sadly, you've struck on most of the game's primary failings: it's a cash-grab. You can't trade covers, you can't buy what you want, the better currency is extremely controlled, etc.

What I did was what someone else on this thread suggested. I kept iron man, because repulsor blast is OP (I guess thats why they stealth-nerfed it). I got the 2-star version of storm (Classic) and then I started grinding ISO-8. You get 100 (or more later) each time you do a new mission for the first time, so that's a must. I sell all the crappy hawkeye/storm/widow covers I get for 100 iso each. I go to the pvp and I skip skip skip skip until I find someone who only has Iron Man and Storm at level 1, or has 3 BASIC (thats super important) characters at low levels. The 2-star and higher characters, even at level 1, can still whollop you. You get a minimum 70 iso for a win, sometimes 140, and you get rewards for ranking up. Faster than grinding out the 20 per, though you may take more damage in pvp.

Then I churn all my iso into leveling up my characters and buying random new ones. If its crap, I sell it immediately to get the 100 iso kickback.

Here's the ball-buster for "better" characters. You can only level them up with COINS, not Iso-8. I lucked out and got a 3 star Doctor Doom. Obviously I'm not swimming in Doom covers so I thought I could just grind insane amounts of Iso 8 to level up his powers and then level him up. Nope. 50 coins to level his only power from 1 to 2, and I imagine the prices just go up from there.

Also, stealth-nerfing the heals from 6 to 4 was extremely lame. At least have the balls to mention it in the update notes. The update did nothing good for me and plenty of bad.

5. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    i had fun with this game for a few minutes, but the constant 20 ISO rewards are just too disappointing. i spent tons of time with PQ1 less with PQ2, and this game doesn't seem to know what was fun about those games. i'm okay with grinding, but in those games you earned gold and XP in every battle and could choose what to spend them on. here you can play 5 games in a row and earn NOTHING! (i'm calling 20 ISO nothing). makes me wonder why i'm playing bejewelled with iron man.

it's also just really awkward to use. when i get a new cover, why isn't there button to go straight to that character's upgrade screen?
    why can't i see all of the enemy's special abilities when i'm in a battle? how am i supposed to plan a strategy?

6. deserted

deserted Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Try doing different missions then? You only get 20 iso when you keep replaying the same one and hitting rewards you already won for the prize. I got 1400 iso alone from the last two missions I played, 200 for first time completion and 500 for the prize I won each time. The versus stuff rewards around 100 iso per match too, in addition to prizes, which are also iso or better covers.

I can see enemies special abilities in battle by tapping on their portraits at the top, did you try that? Just need to navigate a few taps from there to find them.

7. DataHound

DataHound New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Wow. This game had me hooked for a few straight days, but what a bulls**t cashgrab the last patch was.

- Mission drop rates reduced (harder to get covers through story quests) and you get 20 Iso most the time now
    - Reduced heal packs from 6 to 4 and increased recharge time. Which is retarded for a cash grab...you want us to play MORE D3 not less, that makes us want to buy more characters and slots.
    - Ironman was completely changed. Not nerfed necessarily, the damage output is the same, but it's 1000% less fun. Before he was fast, but only did light damage...now you just match, match, match until he's charged. All they did was make playing him more boring, not more or less powerful. Stupid.

That's on top of the fact that most cover purchases must be random AND you need to pay an ever increasing amount for cover storage (50-75-100 etc). So not only do you probably not get the character you wanted, you have to pay to put them somewhere.

As of Monday it had great snappy puzzle quest gameplay that made the bad tolerable. Today it's just a question of what they patch-break, cash grab or up the price on tomorrow. Ultimately unless they fix the characters they broken I'm dropping this in a folder to collect dust.

8. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    The visible status bar is SUPER annoying.

9. Lelqtian

Lelqtian Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    It seems to me that the mission drop rate is a bit less annoying than in the previous update. For some reason since then I'm having a tad better luck.

I find a lot of things annoying with this game - mostly the ridiculous cash grabs, like why even bother with 2 currency's? Especially since the soft currency looks like the hard one at first, and vice versa, and I'm guessing it could be confusing at first. Thougg there are other things - tournaments are extremely annoying and need better matching algorithms, I hate that they reduced the max number of Heals, and I wish it was easier to upgrade characters (I hate the current UI), or to even check out characters. But for some reason I can't stop playing, even though there are no achievements or at least a list of all the available characters that I'm supposed to collect (I really, really hope those 2 will be there soon) And I also like the couple of improvements to the PQ formula, that every match does damage vs PQ/PQ2's skulls matches. I do hope I see this in a future PQ title by the original devs.

10. Zathrus

Zathrus Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Personally I didn't mind the patch that much, except for the heals nerf. Iron Man was OP; he's still very powerful since they increased the damage at the same time they increased the gems, but now you can't just spam his attacks.

Hawkeye also gained direct damage for the red attack; I think the yellow one was straight out nerfed though.

I didn't notice any nerf to the mission drop rate -- it's pretty much a uniform 100% chance on the first play, then x/y chance for the other drops -- if there are 4 drops and you've gotten 2, then you have a 50/50 shot. If you've gotten 3/4 then you have a 25% chance. Which means you may be playing a lot to try and get that last reward. Even so I'd completed (green check) all of Hammer and nearly all of Punisher and Venom in a week, as well as playing a lot of the "Featured" combat.

Meanwhile I wish I'd known about backing up profile to Facebook as a "save", since I just had to switch iOS devices and I cannot restore a backup to get the cards back. I'm hoping that when I can restore a backup next week that the data will be there.

FWIW, I played for about a week without spending a dime; I had 11 characters with the highest (Iron Man, Storm Modern) at nearly L30 and various others -- and I never paid ISO or coins for leveling up powers. I was in the top 100 the last two "Featured" missions. So while the game may be a cash grab if you insist on buying characters, it doesn't have to be. Yes, it's going to be grindy... and the original PQ games weren't? Did you play a different game?

Anyway, can't play until mid-next week. Probably good given how much I wanted to play.

11. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #91 worldcitizen1919, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    They have made it harder

12. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm wondering if the first release is just to suck in the reviewers then once the review has been done they release the REAL game????

13. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #93 worldcitizen1919, Oct 13, 2013
    They always change the difficulty in updates.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    No, if you have played a mission, it should not be locked. There is an exception to this, though. The first two missions on the HAMMER map can't be replayed (they have a red check mark). That's the only time I've seen that, and I've played dozens of missions. If that is happening to you elsewhere, I have no explanation.

15. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Yes thanks for that. I was wondering why they were locked. But I just began playing the other missions and found the replays thanks a lot.

16. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Be aware, too, that once you get onto the other maps, you can get larger iso-8 drops (lots of 500 rewards). You can also get lots of it doing the tournaments, which aren't really MP, as opponents are AI controlled.

17. splatomat

splatomat New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Yeah, and if you actually read what I said, it wasn't really the difficulty change I was complaining about (though that sucked). It was the fact that they didn't mention it in their patch notes.

They had plenty of space to mention their currency sale, and the "intro improvements". No space to mention how they were making the game fundamentally harder (heal reduction) or nerfing the primary character people start with (iron man).

If I had read about the true contents of the patch, I wouldn't have applied it. If every patch is like this one, I'm going to stop playing really quick.

18. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #98 worldcitizen1919, Oct 13, 2013
    I'm enjoying it a lot more now but is it a game I'll want to keep for a long time? I'm looking for a good pick up & play for the long term to replace Hay Day. Got a million on that and over a few months got boring. Go back to Subway Surfers occasionally but got 2 million on that so completed most challenges.

Same with Temple Runs. Didn't like Clash of a Clans or that Candy game.

19. araziza

araziza Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    If you want a marvel game for the long run, get avengers alliance. I really wanted to like this, but it's whole structure is pay for good characters, pay to upgrade them, pay to have enough room to keep them, pay to heal, pay, pay, pay........

20. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    You make a fair point, but the game is perfecty playable without buying characters for at least a few dozen hours (it might change later). This isn't something Gun Brothers, where you hit a pay wall almost immediately. There's plenty of game here for the free player, provided you don't feel like you have to have the best of everything.