Universal Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 30, 2013.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    The only card I've gotten, except Storm which is story-driven, is Iron Man. Same suite, same card, over and over. That's pretty boring!

What made Puzzle Quest so much fun was matching the gems, managing powers and getting some loot / upgrades. When the powers, loot and upgrade is all based around random chance instead of skill and planning it sucks the fun out. Then you're left with a matching game that isn't anything that special.

I'm going to keep trying to get something out of it, but this is pretty disappointing so far.

2. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    How do I open up the other single player maps like Juggernaut and Venom? All I have available is the H.A.M.M.E.R. levels and the vs. levels. I have already finished all of the HAMMER levels and the story just stopped.

3. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Just fought someone in the tournament that had all three of their "heroes" at level 50 (level capped). So its either someone with A LOT of disposable income or some way of gaming the system.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    You start getting much more Iso-8 on the other maps (I've seen rewards as high as 500). Also, you can get quite a bit by participating in the tournaments, both as match rewards and rewards for hitting different point totals. Playing one quick match in the weekly tournament could get you nearly 400 if you're lucky. The opponents are AI controlled.

It IS grindy, but the core gameplay is strong. Btw, hang on to those hero coins like I said before. When I went to increase my cover capacity from 7 to 8, I had to spend coins on it.

5. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Are you sure you are finished with the Hammer levels? Double check the map. At one point, it kicks you to the main menu after a boss fight, but there is still more.

6. aaroncakes

aaroncakes New Member

Oct 5, 2013
    I am having a hard time understanding something with the tiles. Some fights, I will have my 3 characters, say Ironman, Storm, and Hawkeye. On the gems, I'll have 3 different symbols corresponding to the heroes, circle, lightning bolt and arrow. However another fight, I"ll have the exact same team, but I won't have the circles for iron man. So when I do my matching, iron man never gets to the front of the line, thus never taking damage, and my two other heroes are left taking all damage, so they eventually get super low or die. It's not until they are dead that I can match gems with Iron Mans symbol.
    What am I missing? Thanks

7. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I too am wondering why it says preview edition. I want to sink some time into this bit don't want to do so if I could potential lose progress when the non preview edition releases.

8. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Here I just found this in the publishers forum:

Q: Why does the game say Preview Edition?
    A: Preview Edition is simply a note that the game is evolving and new features, characters, and content will be released on a constant basis. We’ll be removing the Preview Edition tag in the near future but you will not lose any progress in the game because of this and the game will continue to grow and improve.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Did you level a character in between? The symbol corresponds to the character that does the most damage with that color. Not sure how it is handled in case of a tie. This is actually an interesting way to protect a weaker character in a group.

The game should communicate this stuff better, though.

10. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Is there any way of earning more coins? If so how?
    Thanks

11. Turmoil

Turmoil Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I have been a massive fan of PQ games in the past and so was very keen to have a go at this, and am loving it so far.

A couple of things, yes there are some teams out there that seem to be way overpowered with max level characters after 3 or so days of being live, but that will happen in most freemium games, not much you can do.

Having said that it still doesnt stop you from progressing yourself. I got up to rank 3 overall in the current Venom Versus challenge, currently sitting at 15 overall. This is with spending zero IAP. I got lucky with getting 4 star wolverine with my second cash spend on a heroic But it wouldn't be too hard to do with my level 20 ironman in his place.

Some tips:

Already mentioned in this thread but when you need healing do the venom fight which comes with spiderman, keep collecting blue (to cast webs), yellow (spidermans heal) and black (venoms main attack). Let venom get pink as he will cast webs also. Wait till there are a number of webs on the screen and cast spidermans yellow heal spell. Easy.

Storm classic (the two star storm not the one star) is amazing. Get her blue skill from the second fight in the venom stage. Level this up to 5 with crystals and most fights are so easy. Her green skill is also handy, more so for clearing gems to hopefully get more blue matches.

In the online challenges, it goes without saying pick your opponents carefully. I might skip 20 or more times to find an easier opponent worth good points.

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Uh, yeah. The old "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" (...but we'll just go ahead and remove it anyway)

13. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Was liking this game but now it's obviously a HUGE cash grab joke. I spent like 10$ and my 3 star cards take coins to level up which is the premium currency....

14. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    #74 Seien, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Haven't gotten an iOS game in about 2 years, nor have I come to touch arcade! Downloaded this game and instantly loved it, but man you are right about the cash grab. I REALLY wish this game was just a one time fee to unlock everything. I guess it's time to check out all of the other games I missed out on getting! This will still be a fun casual play for me though :)

SEIEN

15. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I was enjoying this game but now that I've bought a few heroes for 500 crystals and earned a couple others...I'm out of room for new cards and I can only buy more space with "Hero Points". Don't see any way to earn anymore. So I've effectively hit the paywall. Good game, but not TH$T good. So long, game.

16. Geertyy

Geertyy Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    You can earn hero points by ranking up in the shield and weekly versus

17. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon

there are ways to get hero coins without buying them. They are given out after you beat the boss stages of each level. If you would use them sparingly then you wouldn't "have" to buy them and delete. So what do a little grinding to level up or stop complaining about the "depth" of the game if all you want is to just run right through it and be done.

18. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I was earning them at a good rate initially. Didn't realize that would stop and that I shouldn't use them to buy cards. After all it made me use crystals to buy the first couple slots and it seemed like points were FOR buying cards.

Do not believe I actually said anything about the depth... (Scrolls up)

Nope. Calm down. I hear Zoloft works good. :)

19. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Word of warning:
    While in the tournament opponent selection screen, I exited the game to see the time by pressing the top button and then the home button. When I opened my phone with a slide, the game screen was there for a moment and then it crashed. I started the game again and got "unexpected exit" (or something similar) screen. Now it says my save game is corrupt and the story line starts from the beginning every time I start the game :/

So don't check the time while playing :)

20. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I like it. Pretty far in (Iron Man lv 21) and spent a grand total of 99 cent.

Resist the lure of rare characters. Thats the secret.