Universal Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 30, 2013.

1. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Ehh..

I'm not that far in yet but they don't really explain much about the crystal currency and about the skills and stuff. I have played all of the PQ games and this isn't as polished IMO but it still seems fun to me so far. I think it will depend on how much I don't have to spend to enjoy this game.

2. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Did I miss something .....
    No apparent way to start the first mission after tutorial. Only apparant functional option is to recruit, but doing so only seems to deplete credits, never opening up subsequent play options. Is an IAP required to recruit a full team to move past tutorial?

3. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I had the same problem and wasted 100 crystals recruiting 2 Hawkeyes.

You need to tap the level icon on the map a 2nd time to actually start the mission. It is not a very intuitive interface.

4. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    The app says Preview Edition on the title screen. Is that to mean this is a beta or something? They make it sound like this is OUT, with press releases and everything, so having that on the app looks odd.

5. helldemon444

helldemon444 New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    I downloaded it and then started it up, it said it had todownload so i waited again...but when it got to 100% it went back to 0. Everytime i tried. Not sure if anyone else had this problem?

6. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I had that problem but eventually it downloaded and worked. Big pain.

7. Demiurge Studios

Demiurge Studios New Member

Oct 3, 2013
    helldemon444 and Mookmonster, sorry to hear about the download issue, we're looking into it. Could you let us know what device you're trying to run Marvel Puzzle Quest on?

If you have any issues or feedback, please let us know by contacting us on our forums here:

http://www.demiurgestudios.com/community/viewcategory/26/

Thank you for playing our game, we appreciate your feedback!

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    #48 Tango, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    I've played every Puzzle Quest game since the first on DS, has some of the same feel as the original but much more shallow. Take any of the current freemium slot/card/bejeweled and put a Puzzle Quest title on it with Marvel characters and that's what it feels like.

-No Retina display (On the iPad, the character arts looks cool, the initial splash screen is Retina but then it loads the online only part and reduces to worse than 2x mode on the iPad. Shame it isn't high res and awesome to look at. iPhone looks better.)

-Progress doesn't sync across devices

-No GameCenter, no achievements

-No offline mode - Requires an online connection

-Injured team mates cost a "first aid pack" to heal. You get 6 with an 1 hour 12 minute cooldown on replenishment per pack, so don't plan on playing too much without buying IAP.

-You win a random card after each fight, which you then combine with an existing card to level up a character or a skill. This also increases the level cap of your character. Lot of grinding.

-Non interactive multiplayer. You play a random persons team which is controlled by the AI

-Two currencies, one of which is Ios8 and the other is Hero coins? Both available as IAP, estimating the cost of a standard or 2-Star character at around $2.00. You do earn some after beating a scenario for the first time, but can't speak to progression as I only put a couple hours into the game.

So it feels like legacy Puzzle Quest only in that you match gems to get mana and activate an ability. You don't get to choose the ability load out, it's just whatever the character you are using has and you have unlocked.

If you are looking for a Marvel themed freemium game this is it, if you are looking for a successor to the Puzzle Quest, keep on looking.

9. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    Pretty much agree with a lot of what you said. The concept had potential, but the execution is shallow. The game is still mildly entertaining, but it doesn't ever feel like Puzzle Quest. Besides, aren't there already more than enough Marvel Freemium games out there already? We have Iron Man 3, Avengers Alliance, and that card game, with Thor : Dark world on the way.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #50 Misguided, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    There are quite a few things in this post that are inaccurate, in my opinion.

This game is NOT shallow. It does seem that way at first, and I suspect you havent gotten very far. I'd actually argue that in some ways it is deeper than the original PQ.

What makes a huge difference is that you will eventually have multiple characters in your group, and in many cases multiple enemies (though the latter has been less important in my experience).

Because you have more characters you will eventually have a wider array of abilities. You DO choose your ability load out, by selecting the characters you will fight with. The more characters you unlock, the more choice you will have. You can also have multiple characters that use the same color mana, which can make for some tough decisions at times.

You do not have to use first aid packs to heal, you can simply wait a few minutes. I was really worried about this, as I despise timers, but it doesn't take very long. I actually haven't used a first aid pack yet.

I do agree that the level of polish of the game is not great. The lack of a landscape mode and lousy use of space on tablets is particularly atrocious.

This game is by far the closest thing we have seen to a worthy successor to the original PQ. I would have paid good money for a version without the freemium trappings, but if you love Puzzle Quest, you owe it to yourself to spend some time with this. The challenge level starts to ramp up fairly quickly (hi there Juggernaut) and I have had some tremendously interesting fights.

I've been bitterly disappointed with every other puzzle-RPG that has come along (including all the PQ variants, like Galactrix, Puzzle Kingdoms, etc.), except M&M: Clash of Heroes. But this game, if you can stomach the freemium model (I have yet to spend any money) is worth playing.

It gets better.

11. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Does it have interstitial advertising?

12. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    Okay, I'll keep playing. It's obviously a different take on the Puzzle Quest formula, and if franchises don't change then they are doomed to irrelevancy. But honestly, the game would have stood on its own better if it had been called something like Marvel Mighty Matchers.

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Not that I have seen. Except for the ability to buy ISO-8 and Hero Coins, nothing looks or acts freemium. (Of course, many would argue that's too much already. I think it's handled pretty well, considering the market and probable target audience.)

14. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't know what preview edition means but it does not save your progress so I'd recommend not uninstalling. I'm hoping this is a beta, in which case I will wait before sinking any serious time into this. I really dislike knowing that I could lose all my progress with a failed update.

15. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Total cash grab. Moreso than something like Candy Crush.

See, most characters will cost you Hero Points (very few can be bought with ISO, and they are not very good), and while you can win premium currency in game, their availability is VERY limited.

But if you are thinking "well, I'll grind a little, pay a few bucks and buy my favorite characters, that's good enough for me", well, think again. You don't actually pick the character you want, rather, you buy the chance of getting a random character that's 2 stars or more.

And here's where it get's tricky. To raise the level cap and gain new powers you need covers. See, usually characters come with one ability out of three. If you want to unlock the other two abilities, you need the specific covers with those abilities. So, let's say I pay up 175 Hero Points and get an awesome Wolverine. If I want this Wolverine with his three abilities unlocked, I need other two Wolverine covers, each with a different ability attached.

Good luck getting the same covers for your characters randomly.

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I never understand why so many devs think that people want to go to the effort to create an online account to report bugs with their game. People are doing you a favour - don't make it hard. Just give us an email address, or a web form if you must.

Anyway, I have a question about replaying levels to earn rewards. There are a number of levels where there's a reward i want but haven't yet earned, but the game won't let me. One level is on 2/4 rewards but every time I replay it, I just get 20 ISO. i've replayed it about 6 times now without getting a new reward.

Is this a bug? By design? It's really not clear within the game.

17. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It's that way by design. You only have a chance of getting the reward. When you aren't luck enough you'll only get 20 ISO.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I agree that spending a bunch of hero coins (or whatever they're called) on a hero you don't have access to in the campaign doesn't make a lot of sense. That's why I haven't done it yet.

But that doesn't make it a "total cash grab" unless you can't get access to characters otherwise or they all suck. Maybe you've gotten farther than I have...I did all the Hammer missions plus a bit of Juggernaut and Venom. I'm up to 5 characters now and there are going to more available just from playing the missions.

I would save your hero points for now.

Oh and a play tip: got wounded heroes? Do the first Venom mission. Venom isn't much of a threat if you deny black, and Spider-Man (who joins you on that mission) has a fantastic group heal.

19. bigE1669

bigE1669 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IT
    Ill
    I just finished the Hammer missions. I have Iron man, Hawkeye, Storm, & Hawkeye. Costs of upgrading powers to the amount of Iso-8 you get is heavily unbalanced. So I can imagine where this game might be heading in a few more higher levels. Does this game get better? If not, I might just go back to the original PQ on my iPad. I really want to like this game, but its real spendy with in game currency and getting the crappy covers over and over is becoming a drag.

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Well those odds need tweaking if you ask me, or the 20G needs adjusting for later levels. I'd expect a one in four chance of getting each card (if there are four) and 20G if you get one you've already got. It seems heavily weighted though and it's sucking the fun out of the game.