Universal Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (by D3PA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Aug 30, 2013.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2013
    i just downloaded the game its pretty fun so far, any tips on how to progress? also wondering why the game at the main title section says "preview edition"?

2. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    The thing that bothers me with the slot system is that it removes the collection factor of this game, which is what I usually enjoy most about games like this. So I've had to resort to just selling off my older characters, which sucks as you put so much ISO into them. And it also sucks when they have specific events so often. Im completely sitting out of this dark avengers one as I don't have a single dark avenger. Wish they would remove the slot system and balance it out another way, but I think thats wishful thinking.

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Well, I think I'm going to sit on this one for a bit and hope (I know...) for some kind of rebalancing.

The IAP part doesn't bother me, because I'm not the kind of person who expects to get things for free, but I'd like to make one meaningful purchase that makes the game enjoyable in the long-term, and I'm getting the sense more and more that I'm looking at more of a constant bleed or diminishing satisfaction, neither of which is of any interest to me.

I LOVE the mechanics, the gameplay, and the theme, but not enough to keep gaining, losing, gaining, losing, and seemingly ultimately spending more than the game is worth imho...

Good luck to everyone else, and who knows, maybe they'll make changes to the slot, cover, leveling, training, or recruiting systems that make the game more balanced toward actually playing and less so to managing ones' money...

DBC

4. Machiknight

Machiknight Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Same Boat

I'm in the same boat as you here, I left about a month ago because of the "slow bleed" IAPS. I don't mind IAPS when they give lasting value or accelerate the game in some way, but when they are ;literally nothing but pay walls then I just lose interest. I loved all the fun parts about this game but am not about to spend the kind of money they WANT you to spend so I'm out until i see some changes.

I'm kind sad about it too because I LOVE PQ and LOVE marvel so this was like a match made in heaven for me!

5. GRILLAD KATT

GRILLAD KATT New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Sweded
  6. newtothis

Oct 1, 2013
    any advice guys? i have nine slots filled and think i need to sell some covers to make room for others, i dont have enough coins to buy a new slot. who should i get rid of, i have iron man, magneto, black widow, storm, hawkeye, bullseye, vemon, bag man, and juggernaut, who is going to help me win in the long run...

7. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Are there any campaign levels that you can replay that give HP as a reward? There are quite a few that do.
    What have you been doing with all your HP? In future, keep them all for cover slots.
    I'd get rid of Hawkeye if you have to free up the space, I sold mine.

8. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Get rid of hawkeye, bagman, and juggernaut in that order

9. newtothis

Oct 1, 2013
    thank you for the help guys

p.s. ive used the coins for slots, and think early on for a cover, wont do that again

10. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    ??

Is there a reason why, even tho i have the cover, i can't upgrade Storm's(modern) Hailstorm to level 5? The Train button is greyed out and gives me a Power Cap box saying i have reached this char's total level cap for power? Do i need to raise her level?

11. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    You can only train so many times before you are maxed out I've encountered this as well that's why it's important to only train the powers you want the most to max. I think they did this so that it's more competitive if you face someone else with a maxed out character. Leveling her up won't change it either I've tried

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    You can have a total of 13 skill levels (or 10 if the character only has two skills).

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in-game, I think it should be made much more clear that this skill limit exists.

13. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Yeah I agree I would have planned ahead better.

14. phlage

phlage Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Is there a way to set your team for the arena? Or does it just take your top 3...

15. Djacko

Djacko Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Getting very repetitive versing venom, daken, yelena over and over again surely they could have mixed in the other characters...

16. deadpizza

deadpizza Member

Mar 11, 2012
    How does lighting round work? i got kicked out of the round when i had a good 30 minutes left and after a lot of ppl were kicking my butt. second time playing a lighting round and i feel like im missing something.

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #197 Misguided, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Not sure what you mean. There's 30 minutes between the end of one and the start of the next. Jump in, do enough fights to get 50 points for the token. That's pretty much it. Do more if you like.

I was very briefly ranked #2 in one of them earlier. That didn't last long...

DBC, the points you get for matches are based on point differential, not relative power. So try not o attack people with less points than you. If they retaliate, you can lose a ton. My advice is to focus on the progression rewards initially, especially tokens. Also, it is much easier to get to those rewards if the leaders are past where you are trying to get to.

Look for hero point rewards in PvE missions. Do not buy hero covers with points, at least initially. Unlock more cover slots instead. I deleted characters early, then wished I hadn't. Having said that, if I were going to drop characters in your situation, I'd start with 1* Hawkeye and Bullseye. Bag Man can be useful n PvE. Juggernaut is a decent tourney character to use in tourneys. Both Storms are excellent. Magneto pairs great with 2* storm. Iron man is your heavy hitter until you get someone else like Thor built up. BW is great for stuns.

18. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    the characters that you last used in that tournament are the ones that defend. It's specific to each tournament.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yup. I'm starting to mess around with using different teams. Starting with one group while actively playing, then finishing with another.

20. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Dont tell me im the only one that got common iron man cards instead of rares for the last tournament ...