Universal MARVEL Contest of Champions - (by Kabam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 6, 2014.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Check your in game mailbox they gave me 30 tokens! For my inconvenience ;)

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Trust me... You do not want to do that. You'll have the most frustrating experience. Its all rigged.

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why is it rigged? Is there any point playing this if I won't be spending?

Finally sorry if someone said but any idea how data is saved so I can use the new version when it launches ww

4. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    I'm really torn on this "game". I received Vision and later unlocked Black Bolt.

Both of whom use the same attacks and even the same special attacks, save for the second level Black Bolt one... Which doesn't use his Marvel Universe power. What good is Black Bolt if he's not shredding people apart with his voice? The combat is so shallow and consists of block until the AI finishes their combo then counter attack. Rinse, repeat over and over and over and over. I'm not a PVP player so that's out the window. I've already beat Act 1 so I hold out little hope of this having any longevity for those of the single player persuasion.

Not to mention the plethora of currencies and timers scattered everywhere. The shop is full of an insane pricing scheme. Want some special Deadpool? 20$ please.

The servers appear to be a bit lacking as well (though for a soft launch I guess that's to be expected).

Ultimately as a comic fan I'll keep it around and play it from time to time but I can't help but wish it wasn't so... "Free". The Contest of Champions was a great story arc in the comics but here it's just so lacking with the way it's all shoe-horned into the free to play world.

5. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I'm enjoying this game so far. The production values are excellent, and the gameplay is deeper than Injustice. The interface is just about flawless. I've had a few matches glitch out where characters will just stand there and force me to restart which is annoying, but likely an easy enough fix. The devs definitely need to look into have a grace period for disconnects. Currently, if you disconnect you lose the match and your character is knocked out.

The timers are detrimental to play, and I would have preferred the Injustice system of timers attached to characters rather than accounts, but the game itself is enjoyable enough I can move past that. Premium currency seems REALLY easy to obtain, but the trade off is that premium draws offer a very small chance of getting anything good. I thus question why anyone would invest real money into this game, but it does make it a pretty even playing field for free players. I'm a little disappointed that I have not seen alternate costumes yet. I have a 2 star Thor, and he looks exactly like a 1 star Thor.

Overall I can see with proper support this becoming a great game in short-bursts. I may not get as much steady play as I did in Injustice due to the timers, but that might be a good thing for the longevity of this style of game as I found Injustice felt extremely grindy with little reward as I progressed into later stages.

6. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #86 oscar123967, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    That is why. The lottery seems as if you're given an equal probability in receiving a new character, but in reality you're not. You'll be getting millions of duplicates and low rating heroes before you receive one of those 9/10 high level heroes they present you with in the crystal lottery.

That being said, its nearly impossible to progress in the story once you're deep into it.

Them you happen to save up for a new hero after 3 days of grinding just to find out that you were going to receive a duplicate or a low rating hero or just some ISO-8 that hardly progresses your character.

So yeah, the presentation is top notch, but don't let them fool you. After a couple hours they're going to put ya in a deep hole. How would you bypass that hole? Well drop a couple hundred bucks and maybe they'll bless you with some sort of progression.

The combat is fun at first, but after a while of not being able to progress is just feels extremely repetitive.

Overall, injustice just seems to be the better game. There's much more strategy, many more heroes, you can play longer, you feel as if you're progressing, you can grab multiple packs a day depending on how much you play, the heroes have more depth, and more... BUT WAIT, MCOC is much more prettier!

I deleted it and reinstalled it when I was only about 2-3 hours in. All of my progress was gone and I couldn't find a way to recover it, so I had to start from scratch.

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    The fact that we all seem to have the same starting characters adds credibility to this statement.

Has anyone figured out which classes beat which ones? Some have an advantage over others is what I mean.

8. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Are you guys selling off your 1 star cards to power up your higher cards?

9. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    No I am hording them for now. But its not that many anyway.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yes, I've been leveling three, two-star heroes but that's come almost to a standstill. Selling my one star characters helps, but not much.

11. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Okay, here's what I figured out. Hope it helps.

Green tops Purple
    Purple tops Lt Blue
    Lt Blue tops Red
    Red tops Dk Blue
    Dk Blue tops Yellow
    Yellow tops Green

12. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    My current team, all two stars.

Wolverine 219 Level 1 (second time)
    Spiderman 193 Level 9
    Gamora 160 Level 6
    Hulk 137 Level 4

Sold off all my 1 star heroes.

Purchased a 100 silver hero crystal today. It says "Each Premium Hero Crystal guarantees a 2 Star Hero with a chance of a 4 Star Hero." I received a handful of ISO and gold. :(

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    That sucks.

14. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I had that as well, I think it happens if you get a duplicate hero as the second time it happened that was clearly the case.

My team of 2 stars:

Winter Soldier 205 L10
    Star-Lord 205 L10
    Thor 204 L10
    Rhino 166 L7

I haven't sold off my level 1s or extra level 2s yet as I recall a tutorial stage stating that certain paths require specific heroes to open. So far I have only seen hero-type gates, but it would be just my luck that I'd sell and then need that specific hero. What do you get from selling heroes anyway? I seem to have a ton of gold and ISOs. The only thing I really need are catalysts.

15. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Yeah, as soon as I sold them I entered a quest that required a red hero, which I no longer have. You get ISO and a little gold. Usually about 800 or so ISO Halfway through Act 1 Chapter 2 and the difficulty level is rising fast. Spiderman just hit level 10 though so I'm in the catalyst boat too.

16. G-Man11

G-Man11 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2014
    My team so far:

Juggernaut 3 star
    Star Lord 3 star
    Thor 2 star
    Black Panther 2 star
    Iron Man 2 star
    Iron Fist 2 star
    Wolverine 1 star
    Spider-Man 1 star
    Gamora 1 star
    Scarlett Witch 1 star

Loving this game at the expense of Injustice!

17. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Haha! This is way more freemium than Injustice. For me, Injustice is the role model on how to do it right. This one seem way more grindy. I have a few gripes but overall I still like it. I wish we could buy characters outright instead of this blind luck BS. But I grew up on Marvel, not DC. I would kill for a Dr Strange or a Vision or Nightcrawler or Beast. Oh well. In a half hour I get another daily draw.

How did you get your 3 stars? Daily draws or 100 silver crystals?

18. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Yea Injustice just seems easier to get into an get a match in too. This one seems seems kind of tedious.

19. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Every other PvP game I've played before gives you the option to approve a fight or walk away. This one just assigns it and drops you in.

20. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely preferred the way Injustice did the freemium structure. If it wasn't for CoC's gameplay blowing Injustices out of the water I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance. As it is, I have found that as you level you keep getting more and more stamina, and since the requirement to move and fight on a map doesn't increase, you do get an increasingly higher amount of play time as you progress. The one upside is that the rarity of units does not seem to have the wide margin of power that exists in some games. Thus you can be competitive with 2 star characters as long as you can keep leveling them.